• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• visvamitra

• LizB

• Tas

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review Vis :thumbup:

Are these newer/re-released Sailor inks available in Europe yet?

I've had conflicting info on this. I emailed a couple of online pen shops about UK availability and one said they'd be released early next year (2017) and one said that Sailor had no plans for a UK re-release.

I've had conflicting info on this. I emailed a couple of online pen shops about UK availability and one said they'd be released early next year (2017) and one said that Sailor had no plans for a UK re-release.

Both UK shops I contacted said they will be available either late Jan or early Feb.

:)

I had thought Chu-shu is quite similar to Seitz Kreuznach Slate Grey but I was wrong. Chu-shu isn't as dark and has more purple.

fpn_1480251131__chushuslate.jpg

An oversaturated photo to bring out the difference in colour:

fpn_1480251137__chushuslate-sat.jpg

BTW I'm surprised by the water resistance of Chu-shu. The splash card was made a few months ago but now that I tried to wash over it with water it didn't budge.

Sailor UK have told me these inks will be released in the UK. They didn't say when though.

Chu shu is purplish grey and it is my favourite of the 5 grey inks I have currently. I like it even more than maruzen athena hatobazenu (blue grey).

• 2 weeks later...

one of the most interesting shades of grey. one of my favourite sailor inks.

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

OOH....

This one looks interesting. Thanks for the review. And not....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I bought this ink on the basis of your photographs, and I LOVE it. But I also agree with migo984 that Oster Purple Rock is awesome. If those were the only two greys a person had, they would be OK.

Fantastic Grey-black with purple. How quickly did this ink dry on quality paper?

Until someone provides a more scientific answer, I'll say, at least better than average.

... It's not my perfect grey ink but I think it's worth attention of grey inks users.

Thanks for the nice review and I love this ink.... But my question remains... "What is your perfect grey ink?"

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Good question :)

In terms of hue C. Roberson Grey Hematite or Caran d'Ache Infinite Grey are great, but both has some drawbacks in performance department. I guess De Atramentis Fog Grey is a nice compromise. Also I enjoyed Nagasawa-Kobe Kaigan Stone Grey a lot.

Thanks, Vis. That's nice to hear (hey, did I ever tell you that I'm collecting greys?) and since I have 'em all, I'll just have to whip 'em out and compare all five. They each have their own highlights!

Mike

Wow, Liz Steel created a pretty comprehensive test of DeA fog grey.

http://www.lizsteel.com/de-atramentis-document-fog-grey/

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Yes, that review of Liz is one excellent test. But Fog Grey is not a De A Document ink. Thanks Liz, and thanks for the reference, Bob!

Mike

Yes, that review of Liz is one excellent test. But Fog Grey is not a De A Document ink. Thanks Liz, and thanks for the reference, Bob!

Mike

It says Document Ink on the bottle.

Hmm, I guess their site isn't up to date. Fog Grey (under the English flag) isn't there but Nebelgrau under the German flag is. The "real" Document Grey isn't there either (under Document Ink, English or German) but that ink does/did exist because I had it made upon request and it was once posted there.