• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• conman1975

• RMN

• LizB

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think one is better than the other. I use both, it is a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I use one sometimes the other. For me it is more a matter of which pen and resultant nib I want to use.

They are different things, and not mutually exclusive.

THIS IS ITALIC.... And I can't show you cursive on this forum, unless I insert a picture.

Italic is slanted, cursive is connected writing, as opposed to printing (or block-lettering)

You could do Italic printing (as above), and you could do unslanted cursive.

What has been taught most of is in school is a combination of italic and cursive. It is what I usually use for writing. And within that, there have been several school types, like Palmer or Spencerian method.

To me, cursive italic feels natural, but I would not want to call it superior, if you would want to use straight cursive, fine with me.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

They are different things, and not mutually exclusive.

THIS IS ITALIC.... And I can't show you cursive on this forum, unless I insert a picture.

Italic is slanted, cursive is connected writing, as opposed to printing (or block-lettering)

You could do Italic printing (as above), and you could do unslanted cursive.

What has been taught most of is in school is a combination of italic and cursive. It is what I usually use for writing. And within that, there have been several school types, like Palmer or Spencerian method.

To me, cursive italic feels natural, but I would not want to call it superior, if you would want to use straight cursive, fine with me.

D.ick

D:ck: What you posted as "italic" is a typographical italic. In typography all "italic" means is that the typeface is slanted. In writing and calligraphy it is a specific style. And cursive is not a particular hand: all it means is that the letters are joined. And Italic was originally a cursive or semi-cursive hand until after the first Italic typeface was cut...

Which handwriting is superior?

Neither.

They are different hands/styles for different purposes.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

The superior style is the one that you can write more readily and more legibly. Often, the best style for someone will be to improve the regularity and proportion in their natural hand.

And technically, italic is a variant of the roman form of the typeface that is separately designed rather than just being mathematically sheared. It may have line weight or letterform differences from the roman (such as a double-decker'a'). Oblique is the merely slanted variant, as well as a type of nib often chased for no discernible reason...

Cursive writers have known for a long time that cursive is superior.

Same goes for Italic writers

Something like left Twix and right Twix, I guess

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Doesn't cursive just mean joined-up? It's not a specific style of writing as such. Italic writing can be cursive too. It is not an either/or. Do you mean italic or copperplate (or any of the other names of the slanty, loopy style e.g. English roundhand, Spencerian, Palmer etc). In the loopy or not loopy debate, I think not loopy is more legible, so I base my handwriting on italic letter forms, but I join them up too (cursive italic).

Doesn't cursive just mean joined-up? It's not a specific style of writing as such. Italic writing can be cursive too. It is not an either/or. Do you mean italic or copperplate (or any of the other names of the slanty, loopy style e.g. English roundhand, Spencerian, Palmer etc). In the loopy or not loopy debate, I think not loopy is more legible, so I base my handwriting on italic letter forms, but I join them up too (cursive italic).

You are quite right. The thing is that most people refer to copperplate (and its (bleep) sons like Spencerian or Palmer) as 'cursive'. I really wanted people to acknowledge that cursive italic is best!

30929394700_a9e14481b5.jpg

What does that say at the end between "beauty" and "of perfection"? (Sorry, can't puzzle it out, but want to learn to.)

In my case cursive.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!