Vintage Eagle Fountain Pen Review

Fountain Pen Mike

Hello there! Thought I would do a review of a cool little fountain pen in my collection, the Eagle.

This is a vintage fountain pen produced/sold by the Eagle Pencil Company. From what research I was able to do, I believe it was sold sometime in the 1940s.

The nib is inscribed, "Eagle, Iridium tipped, Made in USA", and in my opinion is a fine or x-fine nib. There is some plating loss.

The pen writes with a nice wet line, but not overly so.

Section is plastic , and friction fit, and has a neat little ink window with which to view the ink level.

The body of the pen is some sort of plastic, and has a lovely brown and gold swirl pattern to it.

Top is a screw on, and has a nice 5 line silver band, and a black top section which is faceted. This faceting is repeated at the end of the barrel as well. There is no clip; the previous owner said it was broken when he received it, so he removed what was left. The little black faceted section on top of the cap unscrews for clip removal.

It is a lever fill, with a new sac.

Paper used for this review is Georgia Pacific Premium Ink Jet and Laser paper, 24#. Ink is Chesterfield Archival Vault.

The pen writes smoothly, from the first time I inked it up. Feels good in the hand, and lightweight. Regarding the material the pen is made from, as a guitar player I have used celluloid picks off and on for 30 years or more; this pen has the same warmth and feel,and if you lick your finger and thumb and rub(an old trick to keep a celluloid pick from slipping from your grasp), it gets a bit grabby or sticky, so that might mean that the material is some type of celluloid. but don't quote me on that.

Cap posts securely, and I have had no issues with it falling off the pen as I write, or any of that nonsense.

All in all, a beautiful pen that writes well, and that I'm happy to have in my collection.

Thanks for reading!

post-121865-0-47367300-1476327972_thumb.jpg

post-121865-0-02377000-1476328042_thumb.jpg

post-121865-0-23825900-1476328081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fountain Pen Mike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fountain Pen Mike

• estie1948

• DanDeM

• mehandiratta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent fountain pen review. I enjoyed it. I have seen a couple of Eagle fountain pens along the way, but never bought one. Sounds to me from your review as it I should have. Maybe I will get one yet.

Thanks for posting the review.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Thanks for reading, both of you.

David, I have seen a few different types online. This one is rather plain compared to some. Every one was beautiful. As long as it's in good shape, I'd grab one that caught my eye. Just make sure all the parts are in good shape. I think it might be hard to find replacements.

Hope I’m not telling you what you already know, but Eagle made the first cartridge fill

pen. Around the the turn of the last century. The carts were made of glass. Have a picture

of the pen around here somewhere. Will hunt it down if you like.

A little later they offered classic pens like this MRHR ED.

fpn_1388954626__eagle_rmhr_ed_-_2.jpg

But by the Forties they, and their sub-brand Epenco, really made a noise.

fpn_1391469405__epenco_tan-blkmrbl_-_6.j

fpn_1391539353__eagle_redveined_wave_-_4

fpn_1391539328__eagle_greyveined_wave_-_

fpn_1391539302__eagle_brwn_veined_wave_-

fpn_1391539280__eagle_bluveined_wave_-_2

fpn_1476401550__epenco_bklpearl_streak_e

fpn_1476401634__eagle_blk-greypinstripe_

fpn_1476401414__epenco_moonstars_-_5.jpg

Enjoyed your review. Many thanks.

Wow! They are all beautiful! I am going to have to do some serious pen hunting. Thanks to both of you, Fountain Pen Mike and DanDeM.

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

Hope I’m not telling you what you already know, but Eagle made the first cartridge fill

pen. Around the the turn of the last century. The carts were made of glass. Have a picture

of the pen around here somewhere. Will hunt it down if you like.

A little later they offered classic pens like this MRHR ED.

fpn_1388954626__eagle_rmhr_ed_-_2.jpg

But by the Forties they, and their sub-brand Epenco, really made a noise.

fpn_1391469405__epenco_tan-blkmrbl_-_6.j

fpn_1391539353__eagle_redveined_wave_-_4

fpn_1391539328__eagle_greyveined_wave_-_

fpn_1391539302__eagle_brwn_veined_wave_-

fpn_1391539280__eagle_bluveined_wave_-_2

fpn_1476401550__epenco_bklpearl_streak_e

fpn_1476401634__eagle_blk-greypinstripe_

fpn_1476401414__epenco_moonstars_-_5.jpg

Enjoyed your review. Many thanks.

Sweet! No, i did not know that, but thanks for the info,and the beautiful pens! I looked at a few I could find on the 'net, and they were all like most of those above; just lovely. You can bet if I find any more, they will go home with me.

thanks for reading!

This was not only a great review of a beautiful light brown (gold) color, but it became even better with the other images. I own an Epenco just like the second image from DanDeM but also an Eagle as the fourth one, no need to add images since those shown are great...

Thank you for the thread... and good luck with the hunting !