Sailor Souten

white_lotus

In the prior iteration in 2014 I think, Sailor replaced the then current eight ink of the Four Seasons line with a new set of eight inks. Souten is one of those inks, along with Tokiwa-matsu, Miruai, Oky-yama, Doyou, Nioi-sumire, Shigure, Yama-dori. In October 2016 Sailor is adding eight more inks to this line. So far as we know, Souten is not a limited edition ink and will continue to be available.

I originally avoided buying this ink as I thought it would be too light, or too bright, or too turquoise. But that is not the case, it's a reasonable blue, not dark, but not light either. About the same value as KWZ Azure #4, though not the same color. Typically wet like nearly all Sailor inks. The images here

The usual papers: Mohawk via Linen=MvL, Tomoe River=TR, Hammermill 28 lb inkjet=Hij.

I had a somewhat difficult time adjusting the color as brightening the images tended to lighten the ink too much. So I think it appears lighter in this images than in reality on the page.

fpn_1475105611__dscn1520.jpg

fpn_1475105676__dscn1541.jpg

fpn_1475105765__dscn1518.jpg

Actually a bit more water resistant than I would have thought.

fpn_1475105796__dscn1525.jpg

One dye used in its making.

fpn_1475105818__dscn1527.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diderot

• white_lotus

• jasonchickerson

• chromantic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, a nice review.

I too have this ink, but have not used it extensively yet.

One thing I noticed was that it stained my convertor - it came off after repeated washing, but it also stained the under-side of the nib, and it's still there. Can't be bothered to soak it etc.

Interesting about the staining, I didn't observe that in the Edison either on the converter or the nib. Shows how different pens can react to inks.

Interesting about the staining, I didn't observe that in the Edison either on the converter or the nib. Shows how different pens can react to inks.

Mine ie a Montegrappa Fortuna with a steel nib.

When I refer to the underside of the nib, it is the smallish bit I see on both sides which overhang the feed.

I suspect the ink will come off, but I'm not bothered.

Thanks for this nice review, white_lotus.

Looks like it might substitute for Bleu Pervenche. Anyone have both?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Thanks for the review.

I had tried a sample of Souten when it came out, but I didn't like it quite as well as the old Sailor Jentle Sky High (and IMO it's close but not a complete substitute -- I'm glad I was able to get a bottle of Sky High before it was discontinued). I remember someone doing a review and showing a chromatography comparison between the two inks, and they looked really similar -- but I found when I did actual writing samples that they were just a little bit different in color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."