Montblanc Royal Blue

lgsoltek

The other day I went into the Montblanc boutique on the Champs-Élysées Avenue hoping to find some limited edition inks. They have nothing. Then I asked to try their regular inks. Royal Blue turns out to be a rich and gorgeous colour so I left with it. Well of course you can buy the regular MB inks from many places but buying one from the Champs-Élysées store makes me feel fancy LOL. What's more, they sell them at the same price as their online store so it's not much more expensive as I thought it'd be.

Splash

fpn_1474033984__mb-royal-blue-spl.jpg

Sample

fpn_1474033775__mb-royal-blue.jpg

fpn_1474033768__mb-royal-blue-wat.jpg

Compare

I can only compare it with the other blues I have with me. Oxford Blue is gorgeous as well.

Also stay away from the Standardgraph one. It feathers horribly.

fpn_1474033986__mb-royal-blue-com.jpg

Edit: Murky green lovers might ask what the green ink in the last photo is. It's Diamine Classic Green. It's a good one as well!

Edited by Lgsoltek

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mirosc

• lgsoltek

• gylyf

• RockFL

Great ink.

It got me thinking that MB had stepped up its game in matching the inks that new competitors were sending to the market.

Edit: Murky green lovers might ask what the green ink in the last photo is. It's Diamine Classic Green. It's a good one as well!

LOL... I am so happy you think of me.... :lol: :lol:

Classic Green is on my list... ;)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I got two bottles of MB Royal Blue as a present and wondered what I should do with them. I was pleasently surprised that it is a quite good ink. The color is nothing to rave about, but quite ok and it behaves very well (dry time, feathering,...) - better than many "boutique inks" ;)

Greetings,

Michael

Hi,

Many thanks for yet another Review of this ink. I am glad that it still appears to be much as the bottles I purchased about 2 years ago.

I consider it to be one of the premiere under the radar inks that over time ascended to the top shelf. (Joining Visconti Blue et al.)

Grocery list = Tummy growling :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Is that red sheen I'm seeing? :puddle:

I'll admit that I mostly don't pay much attention to MB inks (although I really like Lavender Purple). But this one might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the review. And of course, not.... :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This review is very, very compelling.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I ordered this ink directly from Montblanc about a year ago and found it to bet less saturated than I would have hoped. I added one U.S. tablespoon (0.5 ounces) of Private Reserve Electric DC Blue to the bottle and it is now my everyday ink.

I added one U.S. tablespoon (0.5 ounces) of Private Reserve Electric DC Blue to the bottle

Electric is my favorite blue. Interesting recipe!

Greetings,

Michael

Nice review. Great blue ink. One of my all-time very most favourite blues (and I do have a few blues). Also, it's completely maintenance-free and also easy to get, all over the world, and not expensive. Can't say that about a lot of other come-and-go blues (whether they are LEs or not) bouncing back and forth these days....

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

The ne plus ultra of royal blues. Perfectly behaved, lovely shading, not unreasonably priced. I've almost always got some of this going. Thanks for a great review!

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 2 months later...

Late to the party, sorry.

Thanks so much for the review. Timely and enlightening for me, as well as much appreciated.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

I have used this ink for many years. As well as confirming the opinions of other posters, I well add that I have always found this a very cheerful blue that makes me happy when I see it on the page.

Would anyone know very close matches to the shade shown in the review?

I've looked over some of the mentioned similar inks (in other reviews of MB RB) such as Sheaffer Blue and Eclat de Saphir but they don't seem to match well with the scan above. :(

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.