Troubles Unscrewing The Back Part Of A Waterman 42 1/2V

drop_m

Hello, i'm trying to remove the back part of a Waterman 42 1/2v with a gold overlay and i'm having some trouble.

I know this part is screwed in in the barrel and sealed with shellac and i know that i must use heat in order to soften the shellac, his is not the first Waterman 42 that i take apart.

The problem is that, even if i use enough heat to make the overlay scorching, i'm still not able to unscrew the part.

Any advice?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drop_m

• Brian-McQueen

You could try tightening it a LITTLE bit and then loosening it. Is it a full overlay? Does it cover all the hard rubber on the rear end? If there is no hard rubber exposed on the rear end, you can soak the rear end in water. You don't want to expose the hard rubber to water, though.

yes, it has a full overlay but the turning knob on the very end of the pen is non-covered hard rubber, so i'm not that happy with the idea of soak it.

I'll certainly try to tight a bit and see if the shellack/dried-as-death ink will become a little bit brittle and retry with heat. Thank you for the advice!