Good Wet Blue Inks?

Maurizio

Ok looking for some alternatives. Right now I've got several blues including Noodler's, Pilot, Waterman, Pelikan and Sailor Jentle. By far the wettest and most free flowing is the Sailor Jentle Blue ink although the Pilot runs 2nd but is noticeably less free flowing compared to the Sailor even in my Pilot pens.

My question is, is there any other blue ink which has the same superior free flowing characteristics as Sailor Jentle Blue the color of which I find kind of bland and boring but which I use because flow is more important to me than color. I'm just searching for an alternative.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• Sandy1

• ink-syringe

• Philips

I currently use Diamine Midnight and my MB 146 writes really wet with it. But it is quite dark, of course, blue-black.

Support your local post office - write letters!

I don't like blue blacks but if there's another Diamine which is wet and a lighter in color I'd be pleased to try it.

I would like to hear from anyone who has written with Sailor Jentle Blue and can thus compare it to another blue.

Sorry, I don't have Sailor Jentle Blue, but have you tried DeAtramentis inks? They usually have wonderful flow (read: very wet; some people prefer to call drier inks wonderful).

Judging by what I see online about Jentle Blue, the closest DeA ink would probably be Myrrh (scented) or Adular Blue, or Sky Blue.

If you'd like a bit deeper blue - there's Steel blue (my all-time favorite ink).

There's also a deeper Indigo blue.

However, since these inks are so lubricated/wet, be careful when using them in gusher pens, the results may not be pretty. They also tend to bleed-through on cheap paper.

The wettest ink on the planet is Private Reserve Tanzanite. PR inks in general are wet.

For a review see https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225869-private-reserve-tanzanite/

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/images/PrivateReserve/350-Tanzanite.jpg

Image is from a nice blog review of PR inks at http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/index.htm

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Noodler's Ottoman Azure is very wet. I use it to write everyday. Iroshizuku Kon-Peki is also quite wet and free flowing. Both of them are beautiful blues.

I don't like blue blacks but if there's another Diamine which is wet and a lighter in color I'd be pleased to try it.

I would like to hear from anyone who has written with Sailor Jentle Blue and can thus compare it to another blue.

I don't have the Sailor Jentle Blue, but I do have several Diamine inks including Midnight, Oxblood, and Delamere Green and they all are free flowing, well behaved inks. I would think probably any of the blues would do well for you. Having said that - samples are your friend in the search for the perfect ink.

Thanks alaskazimm. I didn't think of that obvious thing. So if samples it is, that means I have to go to Goulet Pens and order some samples. They seem to be the place with a comprehensive stock of samples. I'll take several of the suggestions here for the DeAtramentis inks which I've never tried (thanks glorfindel) and some of the Diamines.

Thanks for your suggestions FPNers.

Levenger Skies of Blue doesn't drip out of your pen, but almost.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Noodler's "Blue" is good as re wetness but a big drawback is that it takes ages to really dry out on paper.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hi,

Off the cuff I'd reach for Visconti Blue, my love at 2nd sight Noodler's Ottoman Azure and the Diamine Denim.

Wet inks often pair best with dry pens, and need to be run onto better than lowest bidder papers, so coated / polished / highly calendered papers may be on the horizon.

Our Ink Review Forum includes my entries which may be informative and relieve symptoms of insomnia.

Let us dance ...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

When I have reached for a wet and vibrant blue - Aurora blue is the one. I buy a bottle or two every year and always give it to friends. The only reason I have one now is another friend gifted me one.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

De Atramentis Hyacinth and Platinum Mix-free Aurora Blue are two beautiful wet blues.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Iro Asa Gao

Visconti Blue

Several Diamine inks (Asa Blue, Midnight blue) are laxative inks.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I love the Iroshizukus--and there are a number of beautiful/complex blues in that line.

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

Hi,

Off the cuff I'd reach for Visconti Blue, my love at 2nd sight Noodler's Ottoman Azure and the Diamine Denim.

Wet inks often pair best with dry pens, and need to be run onto better than lowest bidder papers, so coated / polished / highly calendered papers may be on the horizon.

Our Ink Review Forum includes my entries which may be informative and relieve symptoms of insomnia.

Let us dance ...

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the recommendations Sandy. Coming from you I take them seriously. I will try both the Visconti and the Noodler's since I do like the stubborn independent American iconoclast sensibility of Mr. Tardiff and so enjoy any small excuse to buy his products and I take your recommendation as more than a small excuse.

Thanks for the recommendations Sandy. Coming from you I take them seriously. I will try both the Visconti and the Noodler's since I do like the stubborn independent American iconoclast sensibility of Mr. Tardiff and so enjoy any small excuse to buy his products and I take your recommendation as more than a small excuse.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I'm glad you appreciate my suggestions < blush > but I am one amongst many Members, and have my own way of going about things and forming my opinion over time, which can change (as was the case with NOAz.)

Please let us know of your ongoing inky adventures - which ink/s do you want to dance with? :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Noodlers blue eel

Monteverde Blue

both are easy flowing inks

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

Visconti Blue is touted as being quite wet. Private Reserve American Blue is pretty wet in my experience and has a nice sheen. Diamine inks are also quite wet in general and they have a slew of blues, perhaps the new Blue Velvet if it is as wet as the standard line up (I just really like the color). Now, if you really need maximum wetness you might look into some of the Noodler's lubricated Eel inks though I have no experience with them.