Yellow Sunset - Robert Oster Signature Ink

visvamitra

I'm on my second bottle of Orange Indien, zero problems; it looks spectacular with thicker nibs (thicker being Lamy M instead of F for me).

Thanks for the feedback! :) I do have some nice thick nibs, so I believe I will be happy with the ink.

I have bought/received three pens in the last two days and I am in an inky mode. Today I had a dream - I was an archaeologist visiting some ancient tombs in Cappadocia. Everything looked like in Indiana Jones films (there were no traps, though) - dark corridors, torches, dust everywhere. We made a hole in an earthenware wall and entered a big room with a lot of inscriptions all around. I approached the biggest wall and set alight another torch. The wall was flooded with light so I could clearly see the inscription. It was 'Tiger, tiger, burning bright...'. I woke up quickly :P

Too many inky thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• Old_Inkyhand

• visvamitra

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the feedback! :) I do have some nice thick nibs, so I believe I will be happy with the ink.

I have bought/received three pens in the last two days and I am in an inky mode. Today I had a dream - I was an archaeologist visiting some ancient tombs in Cappadocia. Everything looked like in Indiana Jones films (there were no traps, though) - dark corridors, torches, dust everywhere. We made a hole in an earthenware wall and entered a big room with a lot of inscriptions all around. I approached the biggest wall and set alight another torch. The wall was flooded with light so I could clearly see the inscription. It was 'Tiger, tiger, burning bright...'. I woke up quickly :P

Too many inky thoughts!

Look above. There may be an ink splash.

This is a pretty color, but I suspect I wouldn't find much use for it, simply because it's so light (although cyber6's side by side of the color darkening has got my interest piqued...).

Thanks for the review, as always.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 4 weeks later...

I have some in a new batch of inks from Robert Oster. I found it a little disconcerting that in my darkish study it was like writing with near-invisible ink which then forms properly a line above your writing, as it dries. This made it slightly difficult. Although one can write blindfolded, immediate visual feedback helps with precision in forming the letters, not that any character I have ever formed could be tagged as precise. Switching on the desk light as well as the overhead fixed the visibility problem. After it dries, it is very attractive.

I am considering that it might be used more as an ink interspersed with others for effect in notes and markings or sketches rather than as a primary writing ink.

X

I have some in a new batch of inks from Robert Oster. I found it a little disconcerting that in my darkish study it was like writing with near-invisible ink which then forms properly a line above your writing, as it dries. This made it slightly difficult. Although one can write blindfolded, immediate visual feedback helps with precision in forming the letters, not that any character I have ever formed could be tagged as precise. Switching on the desk light as well as the overhead fixed the visibility problem. After it dries, it is very attractive.

I am considering that it might be used more as an ink interspersed with others for effect in notes and markings or sketches rather than as a primary writing ink.

Did you see my post (way above) on how this ink got darker in the pen. I had it in a vintage Shaeffer Flat Top with a 1.9 Stub (lever filler) for weeks.

I posted pics too.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Did you see my post (way above) on how this ink got darker in the pen. I had it in a vintage Shaeffer Flat Top with a 1.9 Stub (lever filler) for weeks.

I posted pics too.

C.

Yes, I did see it, and for credit to you had I not then I would not have bought the ink! :)

X

Yes, I did see it, and for credit to you had I not then I would not have bought the ink! :)

Well.. I hope you try a wet broad and keep the ink there for some time. ;)

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I use a wet broad (or double broad, nobody knows ;) ) and Yellow Sunset shades wonderfully. Actually, the shading goes from pure yellow, like in your review, Vis, to dark 'brownish yellow', like in your darkened sample, Claudia :) Like it!

Unfortunately it has a weird colour when I start writing. Now this phenomenon is less visible than it was before. I actually think the residues of MB Leo Tolstoy are to blame; I have flushed the pen thoroughly, but I find that ink quite hard to clean out.

While capturng stuff in a cheap notebook a short while ago, I happened to take the Onoto with Yellow Sunset from my pen grab box. It wrote with a much darker shade on that paper, quite close to Green Olive. This sensitivity to paper is something I have not much noticed with other inks I have.

Before anyone assails me with fine distinctions of papers and inks, my point is the greater difference in this ink compared with other inks across the same somewhat random set of papers.

Edit: typo

Edited by praxim

X

I know this is not the most accurate way to do this, but most people probably know what the colour of Rhodia grid lines looks like. Here is Oster Yellow Sunset on a Rhodia A4 grid. The upper sample is made using a Blanzy #730 Plume Princesse - quite a fine flexible dip pen. The lower one is done using an Osmiroid B3 italic nib which is about 2mm broad.

Lighting is likely typical of desk lamp. Let's face it, we're not all going to be reading and writing in sunlight! :)

fpn_1469700608__dscn1581.jpg

I actually think the residues of MB Leo Tolstoy are to blame; I have flushed the pen thoroughly, but I find that ink quite hard to clean out.

Nah... Blue and Yellow will give you green... no darker yellow. If you see green, then yes.. Leo Tolstoy is at fault.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Nah... Blue and Yellow will give you green... no darker yellow. If you see green, then yes.. Leo Tolstoy is at fault.

C.

Yes, the strange colour is leaning towards green. :) This is why I suspect Leo Tolstoy.

• 1 month later...

Referring to this post and to the shade change in this ink, at first filling I had attributed the change to the fact I had written in different notebooks.

I now have the ink in an Onoto 6234 with No 5 nib and first wrote in my ink record four days ago. It looked as one expects, yellow. Using the pen today it appeared quite green-olive. So I wrote on the same page of the ink notebook and the difference in four days was stark. In fact, I took out an Onoto 1332 filled with Oster's Green-Olive, wrote on the same page and it was a little more yellow than today's appearance of Yellow Sunset!

It appears Yellow Sunset ages rather rapidly in the pen? I thought I had flushed the pen very thoroughly before the first fill and the plunger and cup washer assemblies are new. Have others encountered this change or ageing in the pen rather than on the paper, for the same pen and paper?

If not then I will say the ink is very highly sensitive to traces of older inks.

X

It appears Yellow Sunset ages rather rapidly in the pen? I thought I had flushed the pen very thoroughly before the first fill and the plunger and cup washer assemblies are new. Have others encountered this change or ageing in the pen rather than on the paper, for the same pen and paper?

Check post #3. I posted pics on how it aged in my pen. For me, it just got darker... not greener.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****