• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• RobertJWarren

• drmukherjee

I agree channel may need modified however the nib is improperly cut as well I hop to hear something soon as I sent a pm

Pens arrived today. Have not tried inking yet.http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/robertjwarren/IMG_0459_zpsppwenyzd.jpg

Wow! That's a nice choice of ebonite. Turned out really well!

The Black bakul is sweet... :)

:P what you think of me is none of my business ;)

So glad I went for the blue orange green swirl after seeing your pics RJW.

I agree channel may need modified however the nib is improperly cut as well I hop to hear something soon as I sent a pm

I agree you need a new nib and this should be easily and quickly resolved (I find India post quick, YMMV). I wouldn't deepen the ink channel yet as they can be quite wet stock.

Regarding the Wality nib the feed should be able to go in deeper in the section and thus provide a good seal with the section. I have recently swapped between your two nibs on another Ranga pen and it worked well. Once in position you can then heat set the nib too.

Hmm,

I just tried that, and it wrote for longer, then stopped.

Thanks for the input !

For me these pens are at their best for extended writing sessions. If you haven't already I think you should remove the feed. You can check for partial blockages and maybe widen the ink channel like Mehandiratta posted above. If not maybe the nib tines need to be widened (probably best to post a thread in the relevant forum).

Here are twohttp://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/robertjwarren/IMG_0458_zpso5lrf5ka.jpg more pictures of the pen I received yesterday

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/robertjwarren/IMG_0457_zpslw4qmpm1.jpg

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

Mine arrived today, and like IrishEyes, at first I was really disappointed with the colour. Mr Kandan had sent me new pictures of my original choice of blue/olive, which was not what I'd have expected, so I went with blue/orange instead. However, what has arrived is more brown/teal. The photo makes it look a lot more orange than it is. It's not unattractive, just nothing like I was expecting. But I'm not going to return it - too much hassle, plus the free eyedropper is cute - the first time I've been brave enough to try an eyedropper.

So thanks to those involved in this group buy - I only wish you'd provided more accurate representations of the colours. Wish I'd gone for the colour of Robert's as shown above now. This one is growing on me though - but I'd never have picked it.

post-23341-0-98759400-1467394651_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-16072900-1467394693_thumb.jpg

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Mr mpkandan

PMed me and sending me a replacement nib. i appreciate his promptness on resolving this issue. Once it arrives I am looking forward to doing a review on the pen with flex nib.

Mine arrived today, and like IrishEyes, at first I was really disappointed with the colour. Mr Kandan had sent me new pictures of my original choice of blue/olive, which was not what I'd have expected, so I went with blue/orange instead. However, what has arrived is more brown/teal. The photo makes it look a lot more orange than it is. It's not unattractive, just nothing like I was expecting. But I'm not going to return it - too much hassle, plus the free eyedropper is cute - the first time I've been brave enough to try an eyedropper.

So thanks to those involved in this group buy - I only wish you'd provided more accurate representations of the colours. Wish I'd gone for the colour of Robert's as shown above now. This one is growing on me though - but I'd never have picked it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Dear Mr .bbs Sir,

Sure. We will have the right colour name. Blue/ Brown would be ideal?

REgards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Mr mpkandan

PMed me and sending me a replacement nib. i appreciate his promptness on resolving this issue. Once it arrives I am looking forward to doing a review on the pen with flex nib.

Thanks Sir.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Here are twohttp://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/robertjwarren/IMG_0458_zpso5lrf5ka.jpg more pictures of the pen I received yesterday

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/robertjwarren/IMG_0457_zpslw4qmpm1.jpg

Dear Mr. RobertJwarren Sir,

Thanks for posting the excellent pictures.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

My pen arrived today.

Joy oh joy!

I chose the Bock nib to go with mine.

And I quickly swapped the Bock nib with the Ambitious Flex nib which fitted perfectly.

As usual, Ranga includes a bonus pen and mine is the Oliver Exam...an eye catching eyedropper.

I'm going to be busy for a while playing with these ones. :)

I hope the picture I've included shows up (can't seem to figure out the easiest way to post pics here)

Thanks very much for the picture. Happy to see your excitement.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

fpn_1467129833__ranga_model_8_1.jpg

fpn_1467129849__ranga_model_8_2.jpg

fpn_1467129869__ranga_model_8_4.jpg

fpn_1467129887__ranga_model_8_3.jpg

Thanks very much Mr. Nohivo Sir for your pictures, good words and review.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Hi,

I just received my pen. Its a stock blue rippled pen design (kind of a dark bottle green actually) with golden clip and threaded to accept Schmidt #6 nib units. I have put on a Schmidt Fine nib on it and am generally very pleased with the outcome.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Thanks very much Mr. Prithwijit Sir .

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

There is a list that India is not on of Countries which provide tracking info. This is what USPS says:

Why can’t I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each country’s ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

Is there anything the Postal Service can do to encourage other countries to provide scanning information?

Yes, and we are doing it. The Postal Service participates with groups of international postal operators to share tracking and delivery information for registered items. By doing this, we hope this will motivate other foreign, postal operators to join so that tracking and delivery information will eventually be available to and from every country.

I believe I read it on USPS, but all I could find was this in FAQ:

Why can’t I get USPS tracking and delivery information on registered mail items sent from every country in the world?

Each country’s ability to perform barcode scanning and to provide those scans electronically to the Postal Service is unique to that country. Many countries are unable to provide this service or prefer not to provide it.

Is there anything the Postal Service can do to encourage other countries to provide scanning information?

Yes, and we are doing it. The Postal Service participates with groups of international postal operators to share tracking and delivery information for registered items. By doing this, we hope this will motivate other foreign, postal operators to join so that tracking and delivery information will eventually be available to and from every country.

Dear Mr . JJlax Sir,

Thanks a lot for throwing more light on tracking. It is new info and knowledge to us.

Regards,

KandanM.P

Ranga Pen Company

Hi everyone, my pen arrived today! I wold like to thank Mehandiratta, Mr Kandan and Mr Panduragan for making this groupbuy possible. This is my first Ranga pen and I am impressed!

Shipping: 12 days from India to Australia from when the post office received the package. Shipping via India Air, tracking included. Note that tracking was only available in India in my case. The tracking status was updated regularly before it left the country. When I put the tracking number into Australia Post website it was not trackable, but it was recognized as a valid number. I dont know if full tracking is possible in other countries. Shipping was free for this pen, thanks Ranga! I received a PM from Ranga with my tracking number when my pen was shipped. To members who are waiting, looking out for a PM.

Unboxing:The postman delivered a hand sewn cloth package that contained a box wrapped with newspaper. I took my time to undo the wrapping since it was packaged with such care. I even read the newspaper wrapping! (For those wondering it was half a page from The Times of India, Chennai edition) Inside the newspaper wrapping was a red, faux croc leather box with snap-close button lid. The inside was branded with "Ranga Handmade Pens". A glossy business card was included.

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466574071092.jpg

The pen I received is exactly what I ordered: Clipless Model 8 eyedropper version with Ambitious fine nib upgrade. I also received extra, which was wonderfully generous: A plastic eyedropper pipette, an extra Watily nib & feed set, and a bonus Fellowship 505FT eyedropper fountain pen.

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466574133642.jpg

The pen itself is superbly crafted. It's handmade, but the precision is equal to a CNC lathed pen. The shine and smoothness of the finish on the ebonite is impressive. It is glossy, and polished brighter when compared to my ebonite pen from Edison. The pen is unbranded, something I really appreciate. It means I can appreciate the beauty of the material with no distractions.

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466574227045.jpg

I chose the Indian ebonite in mottled green. I would describe the green as an Army Green; it is understated and medium dark but still a heavy contrast against the black. The mixing of the two colours remind me of marble. I tried to capture the colour accurately here in the pictures. This is in sunlight from a window. In just indoor lighting it is darker, closer to the top picture of the pen in the box

There are very minor imperfections in the ebonite, a reflection of the material and no fault of workmanship. In fact you need to look for them to notice it: two tiny yellow dots to be exact, not something to fuss over at all. I'm just nit picky. To be honest I had resevations about Indian ebonite before I ordered this pen, due to a mediocre experience with a Noodlers ebonite pen which had obvious pockmarks and toolmarks. However I must say the two are incomparable. Ranga is by far 100% superior and at the price I paid is value for money due to the workmanship, service etc. I will go as far to say that my Ranga pen is almost faultless. To anyone who is erring (and I erred for over a year), this is a positive message from a very happy customer.

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466574248285.jpg

Here's a picture of the pen uncapped. The pen is fitted with an Ambitious nib. Haven't tested it out yet, but I chose it because I have read some excellent reviews that compare it favourably again the standard German nibs we are all accustomed to. Obviously there is the option to upgrade to a German Bock or Jowo nib but this was an opportunity to try something new. The only amusing thing is that the extra Watily nib is better polished than the upgraded Ambitious nib, which is full of microscratches. I'm sure it won't affect the writing experience, it's just something I noticed. The Ambitious nib is also not branded.

You may notice the grip second is different. Mr Panduragan kindly customized it for me when i mentioned a preference for thicker sections. I was sent a courteous PM asking how I needed it customized. I asked for a straight section instead of the original hourglass and was not made to feel like a hassle at all. Now this is customer service!

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466574272479.jpg

Notice the little hole in the cap. I was super confused at first, but I realized it must be because the pen I ordered is an eyedropper. I suspect it's there to regulate air pressure to prevent burping. Whether or not the little hole will cause the ink to evaporate quicker...time will tell! It's only 1mm wide so the effect is probably minimal.

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466578860233.jpg

Here is the pen disassembled. I decided to take this picture because I was super curious what the internal mechanics of an eyedropper only pen would be like and couldn't find any pictures, so here! Please note that the vivid green you see here is not an accurate representation of the colour, it's simply an effect of having the camera flash on. For those who chose ebonite colors based on the pictures at the start of this thread and ended up with something different than expected, that's probably why. It's not Ranga trying to be deceptive or anything. Also with differimg screen colour calibration, etc, it's incredibly hard to accurately capture and convey the colour.

I would also like to mention the threads. They were hand chaised (cut) on the lathe with special tools. If you want to see the process in action, member Hari made a video of the pen making process when visiting Ranga. The threads are precise and smooth. It is pre-greased with a geneous layer of silicone, ready for inking up. I will still give the pen a customary rinse before i use it, that's just me.

attachicon.gifPhotoGrid_1466574152785.jpg

Finally here is the freebie Fellowship 505FT pen. It's a transparent, colourless demonstrator intended for eyedropper use. The trimmings and barrel branding are golden. I already like this pen. Thank you Ranga Pens for this gift. It was unexpected and generous.

That's it for this review. Thank you again to everyone who made this group buy possible. I look forward to future group buys already!

Dear Mr. Ayami_109,

Big thanks for great review, Picture and respecting our Art.

Very Glad that you are Completely happy with the pen.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Seeing I paid extra for a Flex its about principle Ranga should have seen that. I would expect at

least minimal Quality Control I could expect that from a $5 Chinese pen but not a Custom Pen. I just hope they resolve it. This is the second issue I have had with Ranga Pens. I first ordered this pen and have this issue after arrival. Other issue I ordered a Pen from Ranga on eBay. A Oliver F27 in Color Option #3. The eBay ad clearly states available in 20 Colors so I selected #3. They replied back I must select a different color as they only had 7 of the 20 colors. None of those colors they offered for alternates was one I cared for so I asked for a refund. Another issue I guess was when they get paypal payments they have it auto swiped to their bank. So when I asked for a refund I had to wait for 2 payment to be made to credit my account as they did not have the funds available. I can say they returned it within 24 hours after I complained a prompt refund should be had since their ad was misleading. Maybe I am just striking out with Ranga however these issue from a respected pen company should not happen. I PMed Mr Kandan and hope to hear a positive reply. However i am sure it will take weeks more to be resolved. The pen however overall is nice, it simply should work!

I must say i am very disappointed. This is too many issues with one company over a short period of time.

Only to comment about PayPal auto swipe issue .. PayPal has to autoswipe money to Indian bank account account due to very tight laws and regulations in India . One can't keep money in PayPal account in India it's automatically sent to bank account. Nothing to do with rànga or anyone..

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..

Dear Mr .bbs Sir,

Sure. We will have the right colour name. Blue/ Brown would be ideal?

REgards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thank you for your reply, Mr Kandan. The pen itself is lovely to use, very comfortable to hold with a smooth nib. I don't dislike the colour, it's just not at all what I was expecting. Teal/brown would be better, I think.

Regards, Sue

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)