Group Buy - Ranga Model 8 ( Regular Ebonite & Premium Ebonite

mehandiratta

Ours arrived yesterday. The matte black is stunning. The pink and yellow seems more like a burgundy and green colour (it actually looks a lot more like the Pink and Olive ripple in the original photograph) Unfortunately neither of us likes the colour combination that arrived.

However I would like to order a third model 8 now..

Cartridge Converter, Schmidt F nib, Black Bakul regular ebonite

Colour:Regular Colour Black

Finish:Matte

Clip: Gold Coloured Clip

Nib:German Schmidt Gold coloured Fine nib

Filling Mechanism:German Converter

Thanks,

Z

Thanks very much Sir.

We will send the replacement for Yellow/Pink Ripple.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• RobertJWarren

• drmukherjee

I recently received my Ranga 8 in blue/yellow ebonite, as part of a large order including a Ranga Zeal, and a thick dip pen which Mr. Kandan was kind enough to have made with a modified grip.

I had originally ordered the pen in blue/olive (I'm number 66 on the list), but Mr. Kandan offered the blue/yellow as a substitute. I had tried to find all examples of blue/olive ebonite I could find online (shown as dip pens or raw ebonite stock), but I wasn't certain that it was the best color choice for me, just that it would be very different from my other ebonite pens and I hoped complementary to them.

I was even less certain about blue/yellow option as the words themselves provide an impression of bright, clashing colors, and that is not my style, in ebonite at least. (In acrylic, I'm more of an anything goes kind of guy, as my choice for the dip pen shows!) The photos didn't match the words blue/yellow in my mind, so it was with a lot of uncertainty that I accepted Mr. Kandan's suggestion.

I am very please with what arrived, more of a dark teal/golden brown, that a blue/yellow pen. I like the contrast between the colors, which make the pattern bolder than it might have been with the blue/olive combination. Here are photos of the pen resting against the blue/red acrylic thick dip pen with the modified (and very comfortable) grip section.

fpn_1464627793__ranga_model_8_capped-100

I installed a two tone 35mm Ambitious nib I had on hand thanks to Mr. Mehandiratta's nib group buy last year.

fpn_1464627760__ranga_model_8_uncapped-1

I took these photos in indirect sunlight, and I'm pretty sure the colors are accurate, at least on my monitor which, like most people's, has not been properly calibrated for color display. I've notice a lot of comments here on color accuracy, and I have my share of issues with it. For one thing, I am red-green colorblind, so interpreting certain colors can be a very tricky thing, especially with variations in lighting and sample size. I ordered my Ranga 3 in polished green/orange ebonite after assuming that the photos failed to capture the color properly and that I would see more contrast in person. When I got the pen, I realized that to my eyes the glossy green and orange merged into an unpleasant shade of brown! The glare of the polished surface seemed to make things worse, so I carefully sanded the pen to a matte finish, and then it finally looked green to me with subtle orange accents. The lighting, finish, our monitor settings, cameras used, and sometimes even our own eyes can mislead us in interpreting how a provided photo will translate into the pen in our hands.

I have relied a lot on photos from Peyton Street Pens as supplements to the photos that come with pen descriptions, especially for the bakul finish of standard colors. Unfortunately, PSP doesn't offer all of the colors we can choose from in group buys, so our own crowd-sourcing of images is a very useful tool. I ordered my Ranga Zeal after the close of the group buy, but the photos posted after people started receiving their pens were very helpful to supplement the originally provided photos. It seems like a great idea to provide a variety of photos with future group buys, just so that people aren't surprised by what arrives. Fortunately, it seems like those unhappy with their pens will be able to get replacements more to their taste.

I must say that I would never call the yellow in my pen "yellow". Golden brown, yes, but never yellow. I wonder if there isn't some cultural factor at play here as different cultures and languages identify colors in very different ways. There is no universality to color naming. Whatever the reason, I can see how some are confused about what to expect. All the more reason to find reliably informative photos. We can use the color names Ranga provides to place orders, but from the photos we would each have a better idea of what to expect.

This next paragraph could be titled, "In Praise of Indian Ebonite". So many of our products come in standard mass-produced plastics in standardized Pantone colors, and we sometimes forget how many colors and color combinations we could be choosing from if nature were more of a factor than the needs of mass production. Ebonite almost reminds me of wood in the variation of colors, patterns and finishes. Yes, it's manufactured, but it is gloriously inconsistent, and a pen made from it has the potential to surprise and delight. I would never have chosen the colors of my pen if designing it from scratch, but when it arrived I immediately found it pleasing on many levels, a lively pattern of colors that remained dignified, at least to me.

Thank you to Mr. Mehandiratta and Mr. Kandan for organizing this group buy,

Mark, aka sandburger

Mark,

These photographs are nicely lighted and composed, and provide a helpful contribution to the "pen color assessment" issue you describe. And this is a thoughtful turn of phrase. Nice writing.

"Ebonite almost reminds me of wood in the variation of colors, patterns and finishes. Yes, it's manufactured, but it is gloriously inconsistent, and a pen made from it has the potential to surprise and delight."

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Does anyone have a picture of a Model 8 in the Red-Black ebonite?

Jeff

which color is considered the white tiger color?

thanks

This is a new term for me; I read ahead and know the answer, but what does it reference, please? I have an answer without comprehending the question - is "white tiger color" fountain pen speak much like inquiring about a restaurant's house wine? Thanks for clearing this up. And thank you, Mehandiratta for organizing a group buy, I think I'll jump into this one!

I recently received my Ranga 8 in blue/yellow ebonite, as part of a large order including a Ranga Zeal, and a thick dip pen which Mr. Kandan was kind enough to have made with a modified grip.

I had originally ordered the pen in blue/olive (I'm number 66 on the list), but Mr. Kandan offered the blue/yellow as a substitute. I had tried to find all examples of blue/olive ebonite I could find online (shown as dip pens or raw ebonite stock), but I wasn't certain that it was the best color choice for me, just that it would be very different from my other ebonite pens and I hoped complementary to them.

I was even less certain about blue/yellow option as the words themselves provide an impression of bright, clashing colors, and that is not my style, in ebonite at least. (In acrylic, I'm more of an anything goes kind of guy, as my choice for the dip pen shows!) The photos didn't match the words blue/yellow in my mind, so it was with a lot of uncertainty that I accepted Mr. Kandan's suggestion.

I am very please with what arrived, more of a dark teal/golden brown, that a blue/yellow pen. I like the contrast between the colors, which make the pattern bolder than it might have been with the blue/olive combination. Here are photos of the pen resting against the blue/red acrylic thick dip pen with the modified (and very comfortable) grip section.

I installed a two tone 35mm Ambitious nib I had on hand thanks to Mr. Mehandiratta's nib group buy last year.

I took these photos in indirect sunlight, and I'm pretty sure the colors are accurate, at least on my monitor which, like most people's, has not been properly calibrated for color display. I've notice a lot of comments here on color accuracy, and I have my share of issues with it. For one thing, I am red-green colorblind, so interpreting certain colors can be a very tricky thing, especially with variations in lighting and sample size. I ordered my Ranga 3 in polished green/orange ebonite after assuming that the photos failed to capture the color properly and that I would see more contrast in person. When I got the pen, I realized that to my eyes the glossy green and orange merged into an unpleasant shade of brown! The glare of the polished surface seemed to make things worse, so I carefully sanded the pen to a matte finish, and then it finally looked green to me with subtle orange accents. The lighting, finish, our monitor settings, cameras used, and sometimes even our own eyes can mislead us in interpreting how a provided photo will translate into the pen in our hands.

I have relied a lot on photos from Peyton Street Pens as supplements to the photos that come with pen descriptions, especially for the bakul finish of standard colors. Unfortunately, PSP doesn't offer all of the colors we can choose from in group buys, so our own crowd-sourcing of images is a very useful tool. I ordered my Ranga Zeal after the close of the group buy, but the photos posted after people started receiving their pens were very helpful to supplement the originally provided photos. It seems like a great idea to provide a variety of photos with future group buys, just so that people aren't surprised by what arrives. Fortunately, it seems like those unhappy with their pens will be able to get replacements more to their taste.

I must say that I would never call the yellow in my pen "yellow". Golden brown, yes, but never yellow. I wonder if there isn't some cultural factor at play here as different cultures and languages identify colors in very different ways. There is no universality to color naming. Whatever the reason, I can see how some are confused about what to expect. All the more reason to find reliably informative photos. We can use the color names Ranga provides to place orders, but from the photos we would each have a better idea of what to expect.

This next paragraph could be titled, "In Praise of Indian Ebonite". So many of our products come in standard mass-produced plastics in standardized Pantone colors, and we sometimes forget how many colors and color combinations we could be choosing from if nature were more of a factor than the needs of mass production. Ebonite almost reminds me of wood in the variation of colors, patterns and finishes. Yes, it's manufactured, but it is gloriously inconsistent, and a pen made from it has the potential to surprise and delight. I would never have chosen the colors of my pen if designing it from scratch, but when it arrived I immediately found it pleasing on many levels, a lively pattern of colors that remained dignified, at least to me.

Mark, aka sandburger

Spectacular Pictures, Mark Sir. Thanks very much for your nice words.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Mark, aka sandburger

Thank you...

your posts have always delighted me...

whether it is about Nibs or Inks... or even Pens...

I agree with you on Ebonite Part... and for me no material can beat the feel good factor or warmth of pen in hand as ebonite...

BTW stunning pics...

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

This is a new term for me; I read ahead and know the answer, but what does it reference, please? I have an answer without comprehending the question - is "white tiger color" fountain pen speak much like inquiring about a restaurant's house wine? Thanks for clearing this up. And thank you, Mehandiratta for organizing a group buy, I think I'll jump into this one!

https://mehandiratta.wordpress.com/2016/05/16/pen-review-ratnam-tarpoda/

check the pen review above... color what you see is white tiger

Color is named after Bengal Tiger which is commonly known as White Tiger also.

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

I have a White Tiger Nauka that I can post pics of FPRebel. I would say that Vaibhav's review shows the colour excellently though.

I have a White Tiger Nauka that I can post pics of FPRebel. I would say that Vaibhav's review shows the colour excellently though.

Thank you, and yes, please do post a pic. Or is your Nauka White Tiger the same color? What I'm trying to understand is why is THIS, blue / yellow also called the Ranga 8 White Tiger color? I thought I that I read in an earlier post the mottled brown is white tiger color - this really is new to me.

Thank you, Mehandiratta and Strictlyobiter for trying to explain.

Dear All,

The manufacturing process takes little more time than expected . So It would take 2 more weeks to ship the pens .

Apologies for the slight delay. I will make sure the initial orders are shipped in 2 weeks.

Take care.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Dear All,

The manufacturing process takes little more time than expected . So It would take 2 more weeks to ship the pens .

Apologies for the slight delay. I will make sure the initial orders are shipped in 2 weeks.

Take care.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Having seen three of your pens so far in person, the wait is definitely worth it. Keep up the quality work and take the time you need. I am sure we can all wait for such nice pens.

Thank you, and yes, please do post a pic. Or is your Nauka White Tiger the same color? What I'm trying to understand is why is THIS, blue / yellow also called the Ranga 8 White Tiger color? I thought I that I read in an earlier post the mottled brown is white tiger color - this really is new to me.

Thank you, Mehandiratta and Strictlyobiter for trying to explain.

No blue yellow is not White Tiger...

vaibhav mehandiratta

It's difficult for me to wait for these pens because I like the ones I have so much, but I do understand that it takes time to make pens as lovely as all of Ranga's are.

Ink Sample Exchange Post

I have many unlisted but I'm trying not to spam the thread.

I also am happy to provide new vials for samples too!

On my order #60 per our email can you please ensure I will be getting the Flex nib and clip same color as Flex nib I think you said in chrome?

On my order #60 per our email can you please ensure I will be getting the Flex nib and clip same color as Flex nib I think you said in chrome?

Sure Sir.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

It's difficult for me to wait for these pens because I like the ones I have so much, but I do understand that it takes time to make pens as lovely as all of Ranga's are.

I am also waiting...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Just got mine today. I asked for minimal cap turns and Ranga delivered as usual. Great pen.

Thanks again for the group buy.

John

hey J_MM thanks for the report. Would love to see a pic of your pen

It's a small world......but I'd hate to paint it. -Stephen Wright

Having seen three of your pens so far in person, the wait is definitely worth it. Keep up the quality work and take the time you need. I am sure we can all wait for such nice pens.

Agreed. These are gorgeous pens. Quality and craftsmanship are worth waiting for.

Lux in Obscuro Sumus