Group Buy - Ranga Model 8 ( Regular Ebonite & Premium Ebonite

mehandiratta

Mine arrived today, packaged in the usual manner - cloth outer wrap, newspaper wrap below, then secure box, along with the free small eye dropper pen (has anyone actually tried to use one of these).

If it is a fellowship pen as I have received with my last two Ranga purchases, these write extremely well as eyedropper in terms of continued flow, not drying out and very smooth nibs. I have also received Serwex pens and I have concluded they don't write without modifications. Might as well ink it anyway :)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• mehandiratta

• RobertJWarren

• drmukherjee

Mine arrived today, packaged in the usual manner - cloth outer wrap, newspaper wrap below, then secure box, along with the free small eye dropper pen (has anyone actually tried to use one of these).

The matt surface may not feel silky smooth like a polished pen, but it still feels good. The nib was a little scratchy at first, but that might just have been surface detritus a rinse did not remove as now it's fine. My only gripe is nothing to do with messrs Kandan and Kandan, nor the workmanship, but the grip section of the pen itself is actually a little too narrow for me - no way I could have known in advance and I don't regret the purchase.

Suitable picture on an unusual pen rest ...

http://i.imgur.com/XhwWfNF.jpg

Nice picture of the pen with writing sample.

Hope excitement & enjoyment guaranteed :yikes: :thumbup:

Best regards,

Arvind.

If it is a fellowship pen as I have received with my last two Ranga purchases, these write extremely well as eyedropper in terms of continued flow, not drying out and very smooth nibs. I have also received Serwex pens and I have concluded they don't write without modifications. Might as well ink it anyway :)

Leeuwenhoek,-

Kindly do post pictures of the fellowship pens too :) when ever time lets to, with a writing sample.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Arvind.

Last 15 days to make purchase at the discounted price..

I guess I will pick one more.. He he he

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Last 15 days to make purchase at the discounted price..

I guess I will pick one more.. He he he

Nice ...

Have you gotten your tiger eye ?

Let us know with pictures & sample of your quotes...

Thanks.

Edited by drrusso

Best regards,

Arvind.

I was #32 on the list, and I am so excited! Can't hardly wait (with patience)!!!! While I am recovering from surgery, it would be nice to have it show up at my door. It would give me something to 'smile' about..... I am currently waiting for: ASA Galactic; Ranga Group Buy & FPR Jaipur. That is three pens from India. Still want Vaibhav's Fosfor FP!! It is stunning.

I was #32 on the list, and I am so excited! Can't hardly wait (with patience)!!!! While I am recovering from surgery, it would be nice to have it show up at my door. It would give me something to 'smile' about..... I am currently waiting for: ASA Galactic; Ranga Group Buy & FPR Jaipur. That is three pens from India. Still want Vaibhav's Fosfor FP!! It is stunning.

Wish you a fast & positive recovery Helen350.

We pre see your pens with respective writing samples too.. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Arvind.

@Drusso, I don't want to say too much about the free pens, as they free gifts and therefore should not be expected. :) I have received several Serwex eyedropper pens. On all of these so far they will write when primed but once the feed is exhausted they stop and are very hard to get going again, flow is not good and neither is the nib. I believe some crude manipulation of the feed etc needs to be done and I plan to do this later.

However I received a free Fellowship Pillar pen when I brought 2 pens from Ranga. There are reviews on the forum and this pen is a very good writer with good workmanship despite the 'cheap' plastic. With my model 8 I received a Fellowship 505 FT which is very nice slim, smallish demonstrator of which there are some for sale on eBay. Nice quality and writes well.

My handwriting can't do justice to the pen unfortunately. Maybe at a later date I'll do a much fuller review of the Model 8 if no else does (although I suspect many participating in the group buy are going to want to share their thoughts). So tempted to buy another model 8, just another 15 days to resist.. -_-

The pictures look great. Thanks for posting them. Eagerly awaiting my pair :)

@Drusso, I don't want to say too much about the free pens, as they free gifts and therefore should not be expected. :) I have received several Serwex eyedropper pens. On all of these so far they will write when primed but once the feed is exhausted they stop and are very hard to get going again, flow is not good and neither is the nib. I believe some crude manipulation of the feed etc needs to be done and I plan to do this later.

However I received a free Fellowship Pillar pen when I brought 2 pens from Ranga. There are reviews on the forum and this pen is a very good writer with good workmanship despite the 'cheap' plastic. With my model 8 I received a Fellowship 505 FT which is very nice slim, smallish demonstrator of which there are some for sale on eBay. Nice quality and writes well.

My handwriting can't do justice to the pen unfortunately. Maybe at a later date I'll do a much fuller review of the Model 8 if no else does (although I suspect many participating in the group buy are going to want to share their thoughts). So tempted to buy another model 8, just another 15 days to resist.. -_-

Yes

That's okay. Just being curious. Thanks for sharing :)

Best regards,

Arvind.

Ok, I've just paid. Thank you for great PIF :)

Thanks for your interest Sir.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen company

Have just sent payment for a blue olive ripple clipless CC filler, polished finish, Jowo silver monotone M nib.

Many thanks for organising!

Thanks for participating in GB Sir. PM Sent.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Received mine today! :D Great service from Ranga as always and quick postage. Thanks to Mpkandan and Mehandiratta for organising. Shipped quickly, in a nice gift box and secure traditional packaging. The pen writes beautifully (35mm ambitious nib- written several A4 pages of notes) and the ebonite is finished really nicely / highly polished. Came with eyedropper and the threads were pre-greased. A quick rinse of the barrel to remove manufacturing dust and you can use it straight away. The colour is more of a brown/green (accentuated in my pics) than a blue/orange but it does match the pictures in the op. Here's a pic;

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/mb33ch/IMAG1481_zpspw2bpyzt.jpg

And here are some comparisons with some of its Ranga siblings, with caps all lined up on the same line (Model 8-35mm ambitious nib, Duofold-stock medium nib, Zeal - 40mm ambitious and model 5- stock medium nib);

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/mb33ch/IMAG1478_zpsfs0arsuh.jpg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/mb33ch/IMAG1479_zps7dmj3qm1.jpg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/mb33ch/IMAG1480_zps6pt1gfd4.jpg

It feels smaller than the others, probably due to being relatively thin. I highly recommend the ambitious nibs. It does post, albeit loosely, but there is no need to post it. The cap on mine unscrews in only 1.5 turns and is very secure (it will not come undone in any normal situation). I think this will be a big positive for others (I actually prefer more but I know I'm in the minority). The clip is also different to my other Ranga's as shown below;

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b517/mb33ch/IMAG1482_zpstelngcgb.jpg

In summary I am very pleased with my purchase! I believe this already the most popular group buy yet. I can thoroughly recommend the eyedropper versions and the new Indian ebonites.

P.s I really like the free Fellowship pens included too :)

Thanks very much Mr. Leeuwenhoek Sir for your pictures and nice words

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

The matt surface may not feel silky smooth like a polished pen, but it still feels good. The nib was a little scratchy at first, but that might just have been surface detritus a rinse did not remove as now it's fine. My only gripe is nothing to do with messrs Kandan and Kandan, nor the workmanship, but the grip section of the pen itself is actually a little too narrow for me - no way I could have known in advance and I don't regret the purchase.

Suitable picture on an unusual pen rest ...

http://i.imgur.com/XhwWfNF.jpg

Thanks very much Mr. dapprman Sir for your pictures. Glad that you like it.

REgards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I've been seeing some beautiful pens here and now I wonder if I should have gotten a clipless too... but hopefully mine will arrive here soon and Ill get a chance to check out my first Ranga pen!

Ours arrived yesterday. The matte black is stunning. The pink and yellow seems more like a burgundy and green colour (it actually looks a lot more like the Pink and Olive ripple in the original photograph) Unfortunately neither of us likes the colour combination that arrived.

However I would like to order a third model 8 now..

Cartridge Converter, Schmidt F nib, Black Bakul regular ebonite

Colour:Regular Colour Black

Finish:Matte

Clip: Gold Coloured Clip

Nib:German Schmidt Gold coloured Fine nib

Filling Mechanism:German Converter

Thanks,

Z

Edited by zwack

Here is a photo of the actual pen. Compare it to the option #7 (yellow and pink ripple) on the first page, and you'll see it looks nothing like the original photo. To say that I don't care for it is an understatement. I'll never ink it up or use it. Thankfully, we have been instructed that we can return it for a pen of a different color, and I thank the OP very much for that. Customer service is, as always, fantastic.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I can't even tell you how disappointed I was to receive a pen that looks absolutely nothing like what I was expecting based on the photos on page 1. I photographed the pen under daylight fluorescent lighting, using my work light. Why this pen looks so different from the original photo on page one is far beyond me. Z also looked it under 3 other light sources (LED, normal incandescent, and actual daylight, outdoors), and was never able to see it as it looks on page one. Olive and Burgundy is what I'd call this color....

fpn_1464375339__oliveranga1a.jpg

Edited by IrishEyes

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Nothing beats the black bakul finish to my opinion it's just gorgeous and got a nice texture to fill which I love very much :)

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..