The Hemingway Photo Thread

fpupulin

Here is an homage to an homage...

fpn_1462509184__20160505_123635_resized.

fpn_1462509226__20160505_123748_resized.

fpn_1462509288__20160505_123852_resized.

fpn_1462509319__20160505_124326_resized.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• KAC

• penmanila

• Toll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing is this thread for the first time in 10 years or so made me fancy the Hemingway!

We should carry it thru to other pens. Let's see how many pockets it'll tear a hole in?

Here is an homage to an homage...

That is a quite an extraordinary example of an homage you have. The similarity among the orange of the barrels is remarkable. Where did you find it?

Is that a standard broad nib you got on your Hemi?

Just got mine last weekend at the Chicago Pen Show from Osman Sumer:

26766361201_b3fa5e84ff_b.jpg

Congratluations. You seem to be kicking it up a notch with the MB pens!

That is a quite an extraordinary example of an homage you have. The similarity among the orange of the barrels is remarkable. Where did you find it?

Is that a standard broad nib you got on your Hemi?

The non MB is a Sahwn Newton cusom comissioned pen. It was made by Shawn from photos and all the gold is 14K so no concerns about tarnish or brassing. The pen also has one of Shawn's hand made nibs in the large size (that is his logo on the nib) and that was the main draw for me in aquiring the pen. The cap deviates the most from the MB, but I think he did a great job at creating something similiar but with very different writing characteristics.

Yes, the Hemi is a B nib. I am thinking about swapping it out for a vintage 14C or 18C nib so it has more character. I prefer those older nibs to the modern 18K that tend to be nails.

Congratluations. You seem to be kicking it up a notch with the MB pens!

Thank you. I have. It seems I've been bitten by the Writers Edition bug!

Wow. Congratulations! Which nib did you get? An OB?

Which kind of ink you used? I am searching for an alternative to the MB Collodi, which is almost impossible to find, at least at a reasonable price.

The non MB is a Sahwn Newton cusom comissioned pen. It was made by Shawn from photos and all the gold is 14K so no concerns about tarnish or brassing. The pen also has one of Shawn's hand made nibs in the large size (that is his logo on the nib) and that was the main draw for me in aquiring the pen. The cap deviates the most from the MB, but I think he did a great job at creating something similiar but with very different writing characteristics.

Yes, the Hemi is a B nib. I am thinking about swapping it out for a vintage 14C or 18C nib so it has more character. I prefer those older nibs to the modern 18K that tend to be nails.

Zaddick, when you have a chance, would you mind showing how your B nib write?

Wow. Congratulations! Which nib did you get? An OB?

Which kind of ink you used? I am searching for an alternative to the MB Collodi, which is almost impossible to find, at least at a reasonable price.

Thank you.

It wasn't marked so I'm not sure if it's an OB or an OBB. The ink is Iroshizuku Yu-Yake.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm here in kuala lumpur, having just flown in from manila to personally pick up the hemingway advertised for $1,500 here on FPN just a few days ago. i guess i was lucky to be in the same time zone as the seller (many thanks, lucas!) and to be the first to pull the trigger on an irresistible deal. manila is about a four-hour flight from KL, but once i figured the costs and risks of fedex and customs duties, and given how reasonably priced the pen was, i concluded that i was better off just flying out on a budget fare and paying the seller in cash ;)

it was advertised as being initialed "AL" (andy lau? avril lavigne? adam lambert? surely not abe lincoln) and having a scratch on the barrel, but you can barely see either, and i don't mind the (tastefully lettered) inscription on the cap. the killer feature is its original OBB nib, which writes a nice wet line. plus, the pen comes with box and papers (the outer white box is worn, but the inner box is mint).

this KL trip, including flights, hotel, shuttle, food, etc. is costing me about $350, so the pen now really costs about $1,850, but still quite the bargain, as far as i can tell.

it's actually my second hemingway, so now i can feel easier about taking one out on the road and putting the other to bed. right now it's sleeping with the agatha. ;)

tomorrow, i'll drop by pengallery, a three-minute walk from my hotel... there go my savings on the hemingway :(

26797911990_1d4988fdb5_z.jpg
27072401605_f0f3e227a4_z.jpg
27072406075_4db066cc0a_z.jpg
26468639073_1e176c9e59_z.jpg
27004023691_876c67d31e_z.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

I also own two. One with a broad and one with a medium. Gives me the option for normal writing or when I would like some embellishment.

post-129495-0-91383700-1463518861_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jpierson

Zaddick, when you have a chance, would you mind showing how your B nib write?

Sorry it took so long to get this together. Here you go.

fpn_1463521302__20160516_112323_resized.

i'm here in kuala lumpur, having just flown in from manila to personally pick up the hemingway advertised for $1,500 here on FPN just a few days ago. i guess i was lucky to be in the same time zone as the seller (many thanks, lucas!) and to be the first to pull the trigger on an irresistible deal. manila is about a four-hour flight from KL, but once i figured the costs and risks of fedex and customs duties, and given how reasonably priced the pen was, i concluded that i was better off just flying out on a budget fare and paying the seller in cash ;)

it was advertised as being initialed "AL" (andy lau? avril lavigne? adam lambert? surely not abe lincoln) and having a scratch on the barrel, but you can barely see either, and i don't mind the (tastefully lettered) inscription on the cap. the killer feature is its original OBB nib, which writes a nice wet line. plus, the pen comes with box and papers (the outer white box is worn, but the inner box is mint).

this KL trip, including flights, hotel, shuttle, food, etc. is costing me about $350, so the pen now really costs about $1,850, but still quite the bargain, as far as i can tell.

it's actually my second hemingway, so now i can feel easier about taking one out on the road and putting the other to bed. right now it's sleeping with the agatha. ;)

tomorrow, i'll drop by pengallery, a three-minute walk from my hotel... there go my savings on the hemingway :(

26468639073_1e176c9e59_z.jpg

A great story, Penmanila! A great move flying to Kuala Lumpur to personally pick up your pen, and a better one posting it directly from your hotel in Kuala Lumpur. Your new OBB is fantastic! Enjoy it in great health.

I also own two. One with a broad and one with a medium. Gives me the option for normal writing or when I would like some embellishment.

And I, who considered myself lucky for owning one...

Congratulations for your couple of beauties.

Sorry it took so long to get this together. Here you go.

Thank you, zaddick, I really appreciate.

Thanks! Sometimes the story of the hunt is more interesting than the trophy ;)

A great story, Penmanila! A great move flying to Kuala Lumpur to personally pick up your pen, and a better one posting it directly from your hotel in Kuala Lumpur. Your new OBB is fantastic! Enjoy it in great health.

Check out my blog and my pens