The Hemingway Photo Thread

fpupulin

On 3/29/2023 at 8:12 PM, fpupulin said:

It has been a long time since I portrayed my Hemingway, undoubtedly one of the most photogenic pens in my collection. A couple of recent posts (actually a recent one and a "resurrected") dedicated to the Hemingway have awakened in me the desire to pamper her a bit, putting together a scenario for a new portrait. And here she is, the beautiful Hemingway, photographed in her natural "ambiance" in the mild morning light before work begins, in all her splendid and lively simplicity.

large.175534194_MontblancHemingwayinherenvironmentFP.jpg.6ea6387b8ac8938b0e7d8c6890695087.jpg

Lovely composition, @fpupulin, especially the juxtaposition of a lovingly cared for masterpiece with an impeccable Longines timepiece graced by an immaculate decor brosse-soleil (sunray brush finish) dial.  The decreasing shades of brown of the pen cap, desktop, and watch strap are particularly fetching, while the white of the watch’s dial, and yellow of the modified baton indices and Dauphine hands (perhaps fitted with superluminova?), perfectly complement the white of the pen’s nib scrollwork, and yellow of the nib body and pen furniture.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• KAC

• penmanila

• Toll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should create an Instagram account dedicated to your excellent photography of the Hemingway. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 8:36 AM, Heinkle said:

You should create an Instagram account dedicated to your excellent photography of the Hemingway. 

Thank you for the encouragement!

I like shooting my pens, but I have to admit that the Hemingway is among the most photogenic in my collection... The absolutely classic shape, mixed with the orange/coral body and the wonderful detail of the "espresso" cap and cone, well, they make of this pen an absolute winner, photographically speaking... 

On 2/11/2024 at 10:47 PM, fpupulin said:

…I like shooting my pens, but I have to admit that the Hemingway is among the most photogenic in my collection... 

Hemingway is definitely one of the most photogenic pens. If you could only keep one pen from your collection, I could imagine that you put that 149C nib on the Hemingway 😃

@fpupulin

• 4 months later...

After a long time without returning to this forum topic, I take advantage of it today with a new photo of my Hemi. After a wash, and before changing the ink, I was able to take my time for a photo session without worrying about the ink drying in the nib. Here I used a new softbox and a black crystal plate to get specular reflections.

Against the perfectly black, neutral background, it becomes very obvious that the dark parts of Hemingway are not black, but rather a very dark brown, like that of a strong Italian ristretto coffee.

A watch with a canvas strap, a notebook and a pen. The quintessential "portrait" of a writer like Hemingway..

(and yes, I know, he mostly used a pencil and a typewriter...)

large.MontblancHemingway2024.jpg.829c28aa6a53d172c45e84ca265d074d.jpg

That is another timeless composition — so true, about the dark brown, ristretto-like resin — well captured and described. I very much appreciate the pen and watch desktop vibe. Thank you.