The Hemingway Photo Thread

fpupulin

Anyone else find it ironic that this thread often talks about 'shooting a Hemingway'?

Fabulous photos and pens, none the less.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• KAC

• penmanila

• Toll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has been a long time since I posted a new photograph in this thread, aimed at seeing the Hemingway fountain pen in different poses...

I came back here today stimulated by a recent discussion - on another thread in this forum - about the Hemingway and the perceived  value of this pen, with a few pics of this unique instrument.

Here is my Hemingway in good company, with other three modern pens that, like her, represent a true homage to great pens of the Thirties: Montblanc (with its 139), OMAS (with its Extra Lucens), Parker (with the streamed Duofold), and  Pelikan (with the 101).

No doubt a great era for fountain pens.

large.277352625_FourhommagepensFP.jpg.0236a107768f85ae5edcb3c34bea03e2.jpg

Yesterday, after photographing my pens inspired by models from the 1930s, I hadn't put away the things from my photo set. So, this morning, with the first light of day peeping out in my studio, the Hemingway's bright orange on the wood of my desk inspired me a new and simple photograph.

large.1185098402_MontblancHemingwayinthemorninglightFP.jpg.864180bbfd760b2f15769529e16d9911.jpg

I shot it with my Hasselblad and the normal lens. The magnifying glass is a work tool. I have loupes of various qualities, at work and at home, which I use all the time. I need the red strap so as not to lose them in the midst of many other tools ...

6 hours ago, fpupulin said:

Yesterday, after photographing my pens inspired by models from the 1930s, I hadn't put away the things from my photo set. So, this morning, with the first light of day peeping out in my studio, the Hemingway's bright orange on the wood of my desk inspired me a new and simple photograph.

large.1185098402_MontblancHemingwayinthemorninglightFP.jpg.864180bbfd760b2f15769529e16d9911.jpg

I shot it with my Hasselblad and the normal lens. The magnifying glass is a work tool. I have loupes of various qualities, at work and at home, which I use all the time. I need the red strap so as not to lose them in the midst of many other tools ...

You know that you spoil us with the amazing photography of your awesome writing!? 🤗

Seriously, thank you for the many many great pictures! I am sure I'm not the only one to not only look at them in this small window the forum software now gives us, but open them to see them full-screen and enjoy every small detail. So, again: Thank you!

And here they are, a little early (but they come from afar and theirs is a long journey), my and my Hemingway's Christmas wishes.

large.1317130292_MerryChristmas2021MontblancHemingwayFP.jpg.cf66a6470654bb8fbce27e1539e890aa.jpg

Written with the Hemingway and Cobalt Blue ink by Graf von Faber Castell.

That is a beautiful Christmas greeting — and one can even see a clear ink window on the Hemingway! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

16 hours ago, fpupulin said:

And here they are, a little early (but they come from afar and theirs is a long journey), my and my Hemingway's Christmas wishes.

large.1317130292_MerryChristmas2021MontblancHemingwayFP.jpg.cf66a6470654bb8fbce27e1539e890aa.jpg

Written with the Hemingway and Cobalt Blue ink by Graf von Faber Castell.

@fpupulin Beautiful arrangement that conveys the warm, festive, and thoughtful mood of Christmas card writing! As always, it’s a joy to see your composition, colors and light,  text and calligraphy works. I am very fond of the MB Hemingway. The vintage 139 look, the orange/coral color (my favorite color), and a pen that honors one of my favorite writers. Maybe some day I will be lucky to have one (at the moment the prices are very high at reputable pen dealers). Meanwhile I don’t have one, it’s great that I can admire yours (and some others’) here with these gorgeous images. Now I need to go back and write a few more cards 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, fpupulin said:

large.551572312_MontblancHemingwayThebestpeople.jpg.f09171ea808d78536c2a8a9c2de170e2.jpg

That is a wonderful quote—thank you for sharing it—I have read a great deal of Hemingway and I don’t recall running into this statement before. Very pleased to see it. 

4 hours ago, fpupulin said:

large.1508425373_HemingwayTrustthemlight.jpg.0fba69f789edfc026f53441e4d8f911c.jpg

And that quote I know! I am now reading a wonderful book about Sylvia Beach and Shakespeare and Company (of Paris) in which Hemingway figures prominently. Thanks for another wonderful photo and Happy New Year to you!

Some pens, like this MB Hemingway, I can just admire it for a long long long long time. I will be patient until I meet mine one day 😍. Thank you, @fpupulin Franco for the photos, quotes, beautiful calligraphy and everything!!

Beautiful @fpupulin. Thanks for sharing with us.

Perhaps we should have a thread on "A man and his fountain pen" where we can each share that special connection we have with that one particular pen that transcends utilitarianism and goes beyond simple appreciation of it's craftmanship or tangible beauty. There's always that one particular pen that we form such a strong bond with and it's hard to explain. I still get giddy every time I pull out my Proust from the pen pouch and use it.  Well...After 30 years of marriage I also still get excited and overjoyed everyday I get home from work and see my wife, so perhaps I'm just odd. 

I find that it took a lot of searching and spending to find my one (the pen, not the wife). I knew it when I first held it yet kept buying and collecting. I think I kept collecting just to confirm that special bond I have with the Proust. In the end I always went back to that pen.

Use it in good health. 

Cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, como said:

When I first saw this thread, I knew I was doomed. Hemingway is finally home... 

large.8813ECA2-F034-4DF8-AD9F-0734B1ACE77F.jpeg.e5154ef81fd76b5de431866a514b63e6.jpeg

She’s splendid!

My warmest congratulations for what I consider one serious and important achievement for a fountain pen passionate.

She is a dramatically photogenic pen, isn’t she? I am never tired at seen new Hemingway pics, again and again…

Thank you for sharing, como.