Gold Plating Flaking Off 90Th Anniversary Pen?

Bunny_Police

Very true. But it should not wear off so quickly with normal use. I accept that, in spite of what we members of FPN may think, the vast majority of 90 year pens will never be used and remain in their cases. However if I bought a pen to use and the plating wore off that quickly I would be asking questions. Also, in the UK, it is probable that such wear would fall foul of the Sale of Goods Act.

It is possible that these instances were from a faulty batch but it does seem strange that the OP is on his 3rd barrel. It will be interesting to see if other cases come to light.

Doubt it was a faulty batch. It seems to be inherent in the process (from seeing the other examples).

Sale of Goods Act has been changed to Consumer Rights Act in the UK - but it remains much the same in practice. I'd think you'd still have a valid case, if you were to persue it. These products are meant to stand the test of time, so: object not fit for purpose?

Like you, I had a 90th 146 in my hand, but went for another option.

I have to say (deep breath, in this thread) I didn't like the colour of the rose gold on the pen.

(I'll get my coat...)

Enjoy.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• meiers

• Bunny_Police

• KAC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doubt it was a faulty batch. It seems to be inherent in the process (from seeing the other examples).

Sale of Goods Act has been changed to Consumer Rights Act in the UK - but it remains much the same in practice. I'd think you'd still have a valid case, if you were to persue it. These products are meant to stand the test of time, so: object not fit for purpose?

Enjoy.

Since it is cosmetic only and does not effect performance would it be considered an issue UNLESS the pen was bought to function as an art object.

Like you, I had a 90th 146 in my hand, but went for another option.

I have to say (deep breath, in this thread) I didn't like the colour of the rose gold on the pen.

(I'll get my coat...)

Enjoy.

I was aware of the change to Consumer Rights Act but couldn't bring to mind the name at the time (getting old :()

Yes when I looked at the colour and the large 90 I was not greatly impressed (another deep breath and reach for my coat :)).

Peter

Interesting that the rose gold is "plated". That certainly wasn't made apparent by MB when the pen was sold, nor was the issue of potential flaking of the material made evident during the time MB shops were selling them. Caveat emptor, I suppose.

To me, this seems like an issue MB should rectify at no cost to the owner for the life of the pen. Why? Customer service, implication of a defective plating process, etc.

Unfortunately my 146 is doing the same.

It flakes from all the bands but not the nib so far.

At first i thought the MB sleeve pouch must have had a rough edge but it flakes no matter how i store it.

Just thought that I'd point out that I noticed this wear on my first use of this pen after sending it back for its last replacement. I inked it up 3 days ago, and noticed the problem again last night. It had been kept in its box up until now.

I understand the 'wabi sabi' side of it, but it's not something I like on a very new pen, and it is poor form from Mont Blanc.

I say send it back. And ask them to make it right.

I say send it back. And ask them to make it right.

I'll be doing that first thing tomorrow :)

Might also have a little look at their new heritage pens while I'm there ;)

This is interesting indeed. MB told me that the pen was not plated but an "alloy" when it first came on the market. Seems that's not entirely, quite, totally...well...accurate.

For the 4th time? :)

If I felt strongly about it, I'd keep doing it or ask them to replace it with another pen.

If I felt strongly about it, I'd keep doing it or ask them to replace it with another pen.

Continuing the same process while expecting a different outcome certainly seems like an exercise in futility so the second option seems the more reasonable solution.

Since it is cosmetic only and does not effect performance would it be considered an issue UNLESS the pen was bought to function as an art object.

This may be the case in America, but is not the case in the Uk. A 'claim' under the relevant legistalation would be valid for a cosmetic issue.

And this thread makes me very nervous, as my 90th is still in its box & uninked!

Edited by salesguy

This may be the case in America, but is not the case in the Uk. A 'claim' under the relevant legistalation would be valid for a cosmetic issue.

And this thread makes me very nervous, as my 90th is still in its box & uninked!

I don't know if it would be considered a defect in the US but had never really considered such things as a factory defect. If I found plating flaking off after owning and using an object i doubt it would have occurred to me to return it.

Unless, as I mentioned, the item was meant as an art or display piece.

I don't know if it would be considered a defect in the US but had never really considered such things as a factory defect. If I found plating flaking off after owning and using an object i doubt it would have occurred to me to return it.

Given the effusions MB lards onto their products (e.g., "precious resin"), one would expect the pen to simultaneously serve as an enduring functional and aesthetic masterpiece, no? If function is the sole consideration, buy a Bic.

I wonder if the platinum series will suffer the same fate: is this another plated material or is it an alloy or...? In any event, I'd hope the company has the integrity to back their products with service to "make it right". I'd also expect full disclosure on issues like this posted in a "specs" section on the internet or honestly conveyed to the customer in person. Yet another reason I virtually always stay with vintage pens.

Given the effusions MB lards onto their products (e.g., "precious resin"), one would expect the pen to simultaneously serve as an enduring functional and aesthetic masterpiece, no?

Aesthetics are personal. I have never seen things like "precious resin" as anything other than translation errors or considered Montblanc as some standard when it came to aesthetics, but Bics are simply a joke in every way. But shirley there are not folk out there that consider plating to be functionally equivalent of an alloy?

It's plating folk. If you were worried about plating wearing away or flaking off or getting scratched through to the underlying base metal then don't buy stuff that is plated.

If I buy an object and use it I expect for it to show signs of use and that extends to stuff like plating. I cannot even imagine asking the company to "make it right" as though there was something wrong.

It's plating folk. If you were worried about plating wearing away or flaking off or getting scratched through to the underlying base metal then don't buy stuff that is plated.

If I buy an object and use it I expect for it to show signs of use and that extends to stuff like plating. I cannot even imagine asking the company to "make it right" as though there was something wrong.

I disagree... I own a number of vintage fountain pens where the plating has stood the test of time.

I agree that plating is likely to wear worse and worsen as it gets scratched over time, however a well looked after pen, seeing hardly any use shouldn't have any problems with plating flaking off like I have seen.

Upon sending the pen in today, I explained the recurring problem and was told that it will likely be a free repair. I was also told that they haven't seen many 90th anniversary pens with the same problem, although it wasn't unheard of.

...snip...

Hi Jar.

Good point. Yet, as always, 'art' comes with a blurred definition - and it may play a part in the debate:

Montblanc already made a good selection of functional pens, 149, 146 etc etc.

If they decide to make these same models in a different finish (rose-gold, platinum) and then they market these pens by highlighting this different finish (as function remains the same), then that finish becomes an important element of the pen, which may influence the buyer's decision.

As such, if the plate wears off quickly, the buyer may well feel cheated and ask for the pen to be restored to its original appearance - even though it still functions as a pen - as this was part of the reason they bought it. If the finish wasn't important to them, they could have bought a regular 149, 146 etc.

So, not quite an objet d'arte, but art is playing a role in the situation?

Dunno, just musing.

I agree with your fundamental position:

...snip...

If I buy an object and use it I expect for it to show signs of use and that extends to stuff like plating.

Cosmetically, most of my pens look like they live in a bag of nails ... and yet I think I would return a new pen which was losing its finish at this rapid rate. It's disappointing.

There definitely seems to be a problem with the rose-gold line.

MB/Richemont would be wise to get on to it. It's not good publicity.

Fix it, or pull the line.

Or, at least put a warning on the box.

Just my 2p.

Thanks

I disagree... I own a number of vintage fountain pens where the plating has stood the test of time.

I agree that plating is likely to wear worse and worsen as it gets scratched over time, however a well looked after pen, seeing hardly any use shouldn't have any problems with plating flaking off like I have seen.

Upon sending the pen in today, I explained the recurring problem and was told that it will likely be a free repair. I was also told that they haven't seen many 90th anniversary pens with the same problem, although it wasn't unheard of.

Tell us how this situation unfolds. I just checked my six Meisterstück fountain pens. None of them have any visible plating loss.

Except one of my 146 where the rhodium had been eaten away by midnight blue ink around the breather hole. Wabi sabi.

Edited by meiers

Aesthetics are personal. I have never seen things like "precious resin" as anything other than translation errors or considered Montblanc as some standard when it came to aesthetics, but Bics are simply a joke in every way. But shirley there are not folk out there that consider plating to be functionally equivalent of an alloy?

My primary point is that MB should have disclosed that these pens are plated, not alloys. In the former case, one might expect wear-through to the "base" metal, but not flaking. That, to me, indicates either a manufacturing flaw or shoddy workmanship.

Had MB candidly told customers that the pens were plated, perhaps you could then invoke the dependent clause of the second sentence of your second paragraph more convincingly. Now that the plating is a known issue (at least to readers of FPN), the customer can decide in advance being aware of a potential problem. Otherwise, not so much.

As for "...make it right as though there was something wrong"...there is indeed something wrong if, during the course of normal use, the lauded "rose gold" material (a prime selling point for the item in question) simply "flakes off". Would you buy a car whose paint simply "flaked off" within a few months of sale? After all, that is a matter of "aesthetics": not of function.

Submitted with the usual disclaimers,

KAC

Would you buy a car whose paint simply "flaked off" within a few months of sale? After all, that is a matter of "aesthetics": not of function.

Submitted with the usual disclaimers,

KAC

That certainly depends on the terms of the warranty, which I tend to read. Paint is usually not warrantable and even rust through is usually only a limited warranty. Red paint is notorious for fading and blotching and black known for showing orange peal so buyers should certainly be aware of those facts.

• 4 years later...

Any update from the OP on this issue? Was the last replacement the winner in terms of maintaining the plating? I would hope that Montblanc has found a solution to this since they now have the Rose Gold in their regular lineup.

I'm thinking of buying e used 90th Anniversary Edition and have not heard of others seeing this problem.