Jinhao 886: How Is Nib Removed?

k3eax

The 886 is a neat little pen, so much so that it is my EDC. I would like to remove the nib but can't seem to do so. 'Appreciate advise from one who has succeeded.

Edited by k3eax

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• k3eax

• Frank66

• oneill

• Bamapendude

The Jinhao 886 is a superb little pen, it is light, it posts well, the cap is screw retained and it writes in an excellent M nib manner, although I have ground my nib to a XF size.

I did not find any problem removing the nib out. On the contrary, I managed to remove the whole nib unit out from the section quite easily. What happened is, I was cleaning the pen out from the last ink remnants, and after I flushed it with water for several times, I tried to dry it out with compressed air. As soon as the compressed air hit the converter side of the section, the whole nib unit came flying out. See figure below.

You may want to tying a rubber band around your nib and try slightly rotating and prying the nib out of the pen section. This usually works, it is not so tight for this pen as I have discovered. If this does not work, try immersing the pen in very hot water before repeating the same procedure as above. Do not hesitate to write back with your results.

Once you do this, you can easily replace the Jinhao nib with a #5 Jowo or Bock nib that suits your needs best. Good luck.

Photios

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/554E514B-E13F-4160-B09C-8228771CD198_zpsecpf8qbn.jpg

Jinhao 886 fountain pen disassembled. From top to bottom: pen cap, converter, barrel, section and nib housing with black plastic ring, feed and original Jinhao M nib, mine ground to EF.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/E6651E4A-12CD-4C2E-8799-E9736FFA317C_zpscjm1qxsi.jpg

Here is the Jinhao 886 with the original nib replaced with a Jowo #5 stub nib ground by FPnibs in Spain. Although it was easy to insert the nib into the nib housing, the Jowo and Jinhao 886 nib housings are not completely interchangeable in the pen section. I plan to order a Bock #5 nib in the near future and try it too, once I do I will post back.

Regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Thank you so very much for your time and effort in producing this excellent "how to"! I will soon be attempting to apply your suggestions and will keep you informed.

Frank, your "how to" assured me that the 886 could be dismantled in much the same way as other Jinhao pens. I had previously feared because ordinary tugging and pulling did not work that a continuing to do so might cause damage. Your suggested use of a rubber-band did enable me to remove the nib; however even with use of hot water, the feed refuses to come out. I will try again perhaps apply my air-compressor!

I am a bit curious about the feed-holder which has a threaded portion while the section does not have internal threads to receive that threaded feed-holder. Could this be a manufacturing oversight? There have been reports, and this has happened to me, of the feed-holder being push out of the section when a converter or cartridge is pushed onto the prong. Certainly had the section been manufactured with internal thread to receive the feed-holder, this would not happen.

Edited by k3eax

k3eax, I generally use a heavy duty rubber band for removing the nib and feed, as in the picture below. The rubber band I use is 1 mm thick and 5-6 mm wide, as I have found the thin rubber bands do not help much, plus they can get caught in the feed fins. I usually wrap it around the nib and feed and pull them away from the section, sometimes I slightly-- twist them apart too. One can try wearing latex gloves on top of the rubber band, make sure you wash them free of any talc powder though.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/3EB0A8BB-7199-4D65-886F-278CCEE2DFCA_zpslkq4ehlf.jpg

One can also use a cap of a hypodermic needle to push the nib housing out of the pen section. The needle cap needs to be hollow and have its top cut off, its internal diameter should fit around the feed nipple and its external diameter should fit inside the pen section. One can use a small hammer to push the nib unit out. A previous heat treatment for 4-5 minutes in almost boiling water helps break the bond holding the components together. This procedure is described in pg 1 of my post here for the Kaigelu 316 fountain pen, where I had to replace the nib unit too. (Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter) - http://https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302951-kaigelu-316-modification-250-6-bock-nib-beaufort-ink-converter/#entry3543414

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/IMG_0431_zpsysr3dtmj.jpg

Like you said, and as is shown in the pictures in the previous post, in the Jinhao 866 the nib unit has external threads that do not engage the inside of the pen section, so it is only friction fit-retained and not screw-retained within the pen section. This is typical of other inexpensive fountain pens I have encountered. In my experience, only more expensive pens have their nib units screw-fitted. However this Jinhao 886 easily compares with a more expensive pen once you have successfully replaced or ground the nib.

Regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

• 1 month later...

Hi Frank; please be so kind as to give tips or in fact instructions as to how you get such perfect Photos, I am 86 I use an Olympus E-10 which takes good photos but I would not insult you by showing you what I consider is a good pen photo.My

heartiest congratulations and please hold a Pen _Photo clinic on here if you would be so kind.regards oneill

Hi Frank; please be so kind as to give tips or in fact instructions as to how you get such perfect Photos, I am 86 I use an Olympus E-10 which takes good photos but I would not insult you by showing you what I consider is a good pen photo.My

heartiest congratulations and please hold a Pen _Photo clinic on here if you would be so kind.regards oneill

Hi Mr. Oneill,

Well let me state that although my first name is Photios (which in Greek means Light) I am, by no means, expert in photography (putting light into writing), from Greek graphē meaning ‘writing’, same as calligraphy means beautiful writing.

For most of my pictures I use my iphone, alternatively an updated cellular phone with a good camera could be used just as well. A small size tablet with a good digital camera could be used alternatively, but I find it would heavier and more cunbersome to take close-up pictures of pens. Your Olympus E-10 seems a little outdated IMHO, but still that does not mean it cannot take great pictures. However it may not be as convenient as more updated digital cameras or a good cell phone with a camera. Let me stress here that even myself find my Nikon DSLR camera more cumbersome to use, in spite of being equipped with a macro lense, compared with my iphone. The size of the monitor of my Nikon is smaller than the iphone screen, meaning that you have more difficulty to preview images in the Nikon. Plus I have to tranfer the images from the Nikon to the computer via a digital card or cable to edit them, whereas with the iphone the images are stored in the phone and also on the cloud, and also you can edit them easily with appropriate applications on the iphone. More about these applications later.

A good background is always welcome, so most of the times a use a dotted A3 size paper from a Rhodia block of paper that I bought quite some time ago, and I savor its use. You can watch on ebay or on youtube videos what other people are using as a background and try to find similar, artistic if possible, alternatives.

Good lighting is important, I usually take pictures with a set of room ceiling fluorescent lamps, an under the counter fluorescent lamp and a fluorescent desk lamp with a magnifying lense. You can find a similar one on ebay (please follow the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-8X-DESK-TABLE-CLAMP-MOUNT-MAGNIFIER-LAMP-LIGHT-MAGNIFYING-GLASS-LENS-DIOPTER-/381181569597?hash=item58c0312a3d:g:x0oAAOSwMTZWRSLs} - no affiliation with all links mentioned.

Magnification is important for close-up of nibs and other details. For this purpose, I use magnification lenses found on ebay:

1. Portable 30x36mm Jeweler Optics Loupes Magnifier Magnifying Pocket Microscope http://www.ebay.com/itm/391393601856?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2. Black 10X Magnifier Glass Foldable Round Lens w LED Light http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-10X-Magnifier-Glass-Foldable-Round-Lens-w-LED-Light-/301738510313?hash=item46410447e9:m:mR6Kq7hL2IWQFuRq56SQu0Q

3. I usually place these on top of the fluorescent desk lamp with a magnifying lense, for added magnification and lighting.

4. Oh I forgot, for closeups of nibs, I also use on the iphone, the macro lense from the 3 in1 Fish Eye+ Wide Angle + Macro Camera Clip-on Lens for iPhone 6/ Plus/ 5S/ 5 http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in1-Fish-Eye-Wide-Angle-Macro-Camera-Clip-on-Lens-for-iPhone-6-Plus-5S-5-/111809248092?hash=item1a0859bb5c:g:QCQAAOSwo6lWMcF~

Once the pictures are taken and considered satisfactory in my iphone, I edit them in the native photos editing application of my iphone. There, pictures are mostly cropped and rotated and edited if necessary.

Then the pictures are stitched together in an app named PhotoCollage or Pic Stitch. I mostly use the PhotoCollage. Two or more pictures can be combined in one frame so there is more context for the viewer to assimilate.

Lastly, the pictures are uploaded to photobucket app within the iphone which is a requirement to have them posted in FPN forum.

When the text relative to each picture is ready, it is transfered to the appropriate thread with the direct link from photobucket so that pictures appear to FPN thread.

I wish I had a better magnification apparatus. I have worked with a stereomicroscope and a traveling microscope before and I usually strive for magnification in my work as usually I wear loupes. I also wish I had a small stand for my camera or iphone when I take pictures.

I guess there are a lot of other ways for doing things, I guess other people have better and more appropriate methods. Other people are welcome to come forward with their recommendations. I would be happy if I was able to help a little bit. Let me know if you need any more help.

Best regards,

Photios

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/B5A63316-D5B8-4BA0-A3ED-AC3FC2BAE354_zpsce3uftjg.jpg

Example of a photo of my Jinhaos 15s taken with the method described above.

Edited by Frank66

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Frank; thank you so much for the tips,I do not have a phone and it is clear

that those of us who do have have a distinct advantage and to think my E-10 cost

about $2,000.00 when new it does take very good photos in the right conditions, I shall have to continue practising and try to use the lights better.Many Thanks

Frank. oneill

• 2 weeks later...

Rubberbands are handy for nib feed removal. Not sure where I first saw it but I works for me too

• 1 year later...