Help To Identify This Sheaffer Fountain Pen, Which Model Is It?

Ben19

hello, I would like to know which model is that Sheaffer Fountain pen. the only thing I am sure is that is Touch Down filler I think. I have been researching online but there are many to similar. I do not know if is a Seaffer Admiral or a Sheaffer statesman, or A Sheaffer Sovering may be could be another one it is very similar as well to a Sheaffer Lifetime Valiant. Many thanks .

post-124744-0-30502200-1456953423.jpg

post-124744-0-65404200-1456953445.jpg

post-124744-0-11376300-1456967458_thumb.jpg

post-124744-0-48412700-1456983493.jpg

post-124744-0-07120800-1456983515.jpg

Edited by Ben19

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben19

• jar

• 3rdlakerobert

• Boiling Black Coffee

If it's a TD filler, it's a Statesman because to me it looks like a "fat" TD, not a TM Statesman which would have been made in 1950 or 51. Your nib however looks incorrect for a 49 model, and it should have a white dot on the cap above the clip.

[Edit to add: See

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTouchdownEarly.htm

and note the difference in the nib from your pen. The 1949 "fat" Touchdown Statesman has a very large nib, as large as those on some oversize Balance pens. They're one of my favorite vintage Sheaffer pens.]

Edited by Robert111

If it's a TD filler, it's a Statesman because to me it looks like a "fat" TD, not a TM Statesman which would have been made in 1950 or 51. Your nib however looks incorrect for a 49 model, and it should have a white dot on the cap above the clip.

and note the difference in the nib from your pen. The 1949 "fat" Touchdown Statesman has a very large nib, as large as those on some oversize Balance pens. They're one of my favorite vintage Sheaffer pens.]

Well now I am not sure about if is it a TD filler system or a vac. fill, I think it could be the vac one, this is my second sheaffer so I do not know to much about Sheaffer's models . I attache another pic so you can check out which filler system uses. the Sheaffer Lifetime Valiant does not have the whithe dot neither the others models I was guessing this pen could be the Admiral, the Sovering and the Statesman

post-124744-0-77606800-1456964983_thumb.jpg

Well now I am not sure about if is it a TD filler system or a vac. fill, I think it could be the vac one, this is my second sheaffer so I do not know to much about Sheaffer's models . I attache another pic so you can check out which filler system uses. the Sheaffer Lifetime Valiant does not have the whithe dot neither the others models I was guessing this pen could be the Admiral, the Sovering and the Statesman

I think it is not a touchdown Sheaffer now, I think is the Vac fil sistem actually.

This the tree I used to try to identify this model, but not being a touchdown it is not very useful in this case.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/resources/pen-resources/snorkel-touchdown-sheaffer/

It is not the touchdown but the plunger filler. Great pens and if restored properly hold a ton of ink. But I still think you may have parts from several models. The Lifetime nib should be on a White Dot pen.

It is not the touchdown but the plunger filler. Great pens and if restored properly hold a ton of ink. But I still think you may have parts from several models. The Lifetime nib should be on a White Dot pen.

Maybe this other pics could help to identify the model

post-124744-0-88974100-1456983386.jpg

post-124744-0-36019100-1456983402.jpg

I think it is mixed, triumph statesman's cap and barrel, balance's nib...

I think it is mixed, triumph statesman's cap and barrel, balance's nib...

So like all you said this nib should not be in this Fountain pen. So someone for some reason change the original nib and fit this Sheaffer lifetime instead. Any one can tell me which nib should be in the original fountain pen or which nib should be instead of this one? and where I can find that? Do you think that change and fit this the original fit the original worth it?

So like all you said this nib should not be in this Fountain pen. So someone for some reason change the original nib and fit this Sheaffer lifetime instead. Any one can tell me which nib should be in the original fountain pen or which nib should be instead of this one? and where I can find that? Do you think that change and fit this the original fit the original worth it?

It could also be a cap swap, and in fact I think that is more likely. My guess is that you have a lifetime whit dot body but with the non-white dot cap. It could have been as simple as the original cap broke and this was what the local pen shop happened to have sitting in a drawer.

I've never found much of a qualitative or performance difference between the white dot and non white dot pens.

Try this. Look closely at the stampings on the body of the pen for a price code. It will be a three or four digit number, maybe in quotes, possibly 1000 or 875, 500 or 350.

This looks to be a Sovereign from 1948. Everything looks correct according to the reprinted portions of the 1948 catalog that appeared in the Winter 2006 Pennant magazine. It looks to be in decent shape. Nice find!

This looks to be a Sovereign from 1948. Everything looks correct according to the reprinted portions of the 1948 catalog that appeared in the Winter 2006 Pennant magazine. It looks to be in decent shape. Nice find!

I think the nib's wrong for a 1948 Sovereign. Sovereign's a non--white dot pen.

It could also be a cap swap, and in fact I think that is more likely. My guess is that you have a lifetime whit dot body but with the non-white dot cap. It could have been as simple as the original cap broke and this was what the local pen shop happened to have sitting in a drawer.

I've never found much of a qualitative or performance difference between the white dot and non white dot pens.

Try this. Look closely at the stampings on the body of the pen for a price code. It will be a three or four digit number, maybe in quotes, possibly 1000 or 875, 500 or 350.

At first, I thought that as well, the cap being swapped, but being a set Fountain pen and mechanical pencil they should match, shouldn't they?.

About the number you said , yes there is one 875 what does this number mean?

At first, I thought that as well, the cap being swapped, but being a set Fountain pen and mechanical pencil they should match, shouldn't they?.

About the number you said , yes there is one 875 what does this number mean?

The number is the price code in cents, the original MSRP for that pen.

The reason I asked is that helps determine if the body was the more expensive White Dot model or the less expensive non-lifetime. With an initial MSRP of $8.50 it seems the cap and body are correct but the nib is a replacement. It should be a FeatherTouch nib, not a Lifetime.

The reason I asked is that helps determine if the body was the more expensive White Dot model or the less expensive non-lifetime. With an initial MSRP of $8.50 it seems the cap and body are correct but the nib is a replacement. It should be a FeatherTouch nib, not a Lifetime.

Thanks Jar, so then is it a sovering whith a lifetime nib replacement. right?

This is how it looks after that has been cleaned up.

post-124744-0-42324300-1457367849_thumb.jpg

post-124744-0-46257900-1457367895_thumb.jpg

post-124744-0-09286900-1457367939_thumb.jpg

So that would be the nib that the fountain pen have to be fitted? do you think I should put the original, it worth the effort ?

or maybe the one on the second picture?

post-124744-0-66059900-1457388707_thumb.jpg

post-124744-0-61518100-1457390101_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben19

Pen is likely correct; the Sovereign lost Lifetime status and its dot by mid-1947, so it would not be surprising if some crossover occurred during assembly of the model during that period.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Pen is likely correct; the Sovereign lost Lifetime status and its dot by mid-1947, so it would not be surprising if some crossover occurred during assembly of the model during that period.

--Daniel

Wow, that would be just great, it would mean I would have a very rare piece of history!!!

Unless there is something wrong with the current nib simple enjoy.

There is noting wrong with the nib, I posted some pics now it's been cleaned up and looks in very good shape and writes just lovely and smoothly, I was just a bit concerned for not having a 100% genuine model, cos normally I do not buy sheaffer as they always has been made in USA and you have to think twice when you go to buy one of them as most of sellers are from North America so shipping costs are quite expensive.