London Pen Shop

deacondavid

My wife and I are starting to plan a trip to London (possibly also Oxford and other places). I'm hoping to possibly visit a pen shop or two while I am in the UK. While I have ordered from Cult Pens (and was really happy with the experience), I know that they are not a physical store that I can visit. If we follow past practice, we'll probably be staying in Kensington, though I have no problems looking in other parts of London. Does anyone have recommendations?

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• deacondavid

• sharonspens

• da vinci

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one in Oxford

http://www.pensplus.co.uk/

Here's one in the Burlington Arcade in London (you'll need deep pockets).

http://www.penfriend.co.uk/

There's also a Penshop concession in Debenhams on Oxford Street in London. Most John Lewis shops also have a pen counter.

What's a John Lewis shop? I anticipate visiting London/Brighton this summer, so I am also interested in this information.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I agree with a previous reply which mentioned visiting Henry Simpole at his stall in the Portobello Road market on a Saturday (he's a member here with the username Truffle Finder). I visited a few years ago and bought a vintage Conway Stewart. He let me try several CSs and Parker 51s before I found one that was right for me.

I think both Fortnum and Mason, and Selfridges have pen departments also.

And of course there is the Montblanc boutique in Bond Street.

Edited by da vinci

Another vote for Penfriend. Knowledgeable staff, great service, and the added benefit of getting to visit the Burlington arcade.

Post Script

And if you're venturing 25 miles or so South into Kent, Andy's Pens near Tonbridge has a good selection.

Nearby are interesting places to visit such as Hever Castle, where Anne Boleyn, Henry VIII's second wife grew up; Sissinghurst House and Gardens, where Vita Sackville West lived; and Knole Park, also home to the Sackville Wests and a most interesting house (they recently discovered witch marks on the timbers).

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

It's a department store.

They don't usually have much, Harrods would be a better bet.

Thank you for the information!

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. A pen shop is not a priority for our trip, but, if we find a store it will be a nice addition.

Since I have a pretty good collection of pens, I may be more interested in inks at this point in time. Is one of these a better location for finding inks than others? Or would I be better served by placing a Jet Pens order for delivery to my hotel? I find that there is something to be said for being able to see an ink in person and sample it as opposed to looking at a swatch on-line.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

Since you have an address, I'd order an Italix from Mr Pen. The nibs are good, and you can't get them overseas without paying hefty postage charges. The Parson's Essential is very nice.

As for inks, the shop in Oxford has a wide range, cultpens is a good online shop. The department stores tend to sell back and blue inks only. Paperwise - nip into WH Smith (there's one in every town) and get yourself some Three Candlesticks paper.

Since you have an address, I'd order an Italix from Mr Pen. The nibs are good, and you can't get them overseas without paying hefty postage charges. The Parson's Essential is very nice.

As for inks, the shop in Oxford has a wide range, cultpens is a good online shop. The department stores tend to sell back and blue inks only. Paperwise - nip into WH Smith (there's one in every town) and get yourself some Three Candlesticks paper.

The Italix offerings are very tempting and their pricing is extremely reasonable. I may have to pick one or two up! Thanks for the suggestions!