Greif

Azuniga

On 2/12/2017 at 11:14 PM, Azuniga said:

It took me long time to come back to the thread, I am sorry….

The fountainbel clip was requesting about is right, here are some more images.

There is not much information about Greif, specially for someone like me being far away from Germany, the most we know is that by the end of the company it was acquired by Pelikan… but I guess most of you already know that.

fpn_1486937528__greif_gold.jpg

fpn_1486937557__greif_mar_1940.jpg

fpn_1486937584__katalog_297_04.jpg

Azuniga had posted a copy from a range of piston fillers from the post-war period (presumably from the 1950's).
Actually the serie is a bit more extended than in the brochure although I do not have them all (I do miss the no. 70 and the pencil no. 20).

The number 50 is designated as a Kobold (it does not have a metal cap ring). 
The numbers 50 en 60 are obviously the cheaper ones since they have steel nibs.

From left to right we have: no. 50 (Kobold), no. 60, no. 80, no. 90 (demonstrator) next to the regular no. 90 (which is a tiny bit bigger than the demonstrator), the number 100 (which is quite small), and the number 110.

Greifpistonfillerspost-war20240901.thumb.jpg.c84dac4cb3c093a5db47b4fd14c9758b.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ben Alders

• Azuniga

• senzen

• markiv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My one Greif, a small pen that says 60, it's approximately the size of an Ibis, slightly smaller than a 140; a brand I became interested in mostly because of Azuniga's posts but never thought I'd own given my max budget per pen.

Greif06.thumb.jpeg.a8db3a6490164229f3a0e6fe64dad4a9.jpeg

Very nice to write with, the original nib had a big problem with a missing iridium tip but I managed to find another one.

Greif05.jpeg.b2fcf4b5f76dd060db217aa454ddab5d.jpeg

Writes smoothly, consistently produces a lighter shade of Asa Gao which I like.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

11 hours ago, senzen said:

My one Greif, a small pen that says 60, it's approximately the size of an Ibis, slightly smaller than a 140; a brand I became interested in mostly because of Azuniga's posts but never thought I'd own given my max budget per pen.

Greif06.thumb.jpeg.a8db3a6490164229f3a0e6fe64dad4a9.jpeg

Very nice to write with, the original nib had a big problem with a missing iridium tip but I managed to find another one.

Greif05.jpeg.b2fcf4b5f76dd060db217aa454ddab5d.jpeg

Writes smoothly, consistently produces a lighter shade of Asa Gao which I like.

Senzen, this is interesting. Your Greif 60 has a 14K nib.
Mine has a steel nib (see the picture beneath). Did your pen originally have a 14K nib or was it also equipped with a steel nib?

Greif 60 steel nib .jpg

8 hours ago, Ben Alders said:

Senzen, this is interesting. Your Greif 60 has a 14K nib.
Mine has a steel nib (see the picture beneath). Did your pen originally have a 14K nib or was it also equipped with a steel nib?

The original nib was probably steel too.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Greif Kobold

The Greif Kobold was intended as a cheap fountain for use at school (school writer).

Less known is that its history extends over a few decades. Although I probably don't have all the variants

from the Kobold range, I can show interesting examples.

From left to right:

• a pre-war Kobold with two imprinted 'rings', instead of the usual cap rings. The model probably dates from the late thirties (1938 according to Penboard.de),
    but this pen comes with a steel nib (gold plated). 
    It is equipped with a piston filler and a cork seal. Cap top and turning knob are made of hard rubber. 
    This fountain pen carries the imprint Kobold on the cap, and on the shaft just above the turning knob. Apart from this imprint it's identical to similar 
    piston filler's (with imprinted cap rings, and the steel nib) from that period, buth these don't carry the imprint Kobold.

• a post-war Kobold.  The pen is designated as a model 50. Obviously this is an early 50 model, because it differs from the later 50 (also a Kobold) described in the
    third bullet-point. It is has a malachite ring just above the clip. It is equipped with a piston filler and gold plated steel nib.
    This model was offered for DM 6,50 (Deutsche Mark).

• also a post-war Kobold. This is also a model 50 pen. But unlike the previous model, it has a small, all green cap top, and the design of the clip
    resembles the clip of the rest of model range of the 1950's (60, 70, 80, 90, 100 and 110).
    Also this model 50 is a bit larger than the earlier model. Instead of imprinted cap rings, this model is equipped with a single gold plated cap ring.

GreifKoboldserie-181425.thumb.jpg.5bc1dc754c661f781b2c57ca7cbe2c67.jpg

Greif mechanical pencils - Druckbleistifte (DBS)

Apart from the fountain pens, Greif also produced mechanical pencils. In German they are called Druckbleistifte (abbr. DBS).

Here we have three examples (from left to right):

• hard rubber pencil from the late 1930's. The design resembles the AUCH-model from Pelikan, but the green malachite
    rings above and beneath the clip let this pencil stand out. 

• the second specimen is a mechanical pencil no. 20, which complements the well known serie of fountain pens of the 1950's
    (50 to 110).

• the third pencil is part of set with a fountain pen no. 112. This is a special, an extension of the fountain pen range (50 to 110).

GreifDruckbleistifte.thumb.jpg.4f7b1cbd7214c5deb1a70ab3ec806468.jpg

Very nice pens, that last mechanical pencil is particularly good looking.

B. Russell

This is the mechanical pencil together with the no. 112 fountain pen.

Unfortunately the cap ring of the fountain pen does not look very well.

Greifset-112.thumb.jpg.1864050627acbc4443b6e975f0daa162.jpg

Stunning!

B. Russell

Collection of Greif piston fillers from the late 1930's and war-period

The piston fillers have a piston equipped with a cork seal.

The cap, cap top and body are made of celluloid, but the the turning knob is made of hard rubber.

From left to right we have:

• a piston filler with two gold plated cap rings. The nib is a 14 k gold nib.
  • the second and third pen are obviously produced during the war-time.
    The gold plated cap rings are replaced by imprinted cap rings in the celluloid cap.
    The pens are equipped with steel nibs.
  • the fourth pen seems to be an aberration. It has imprinted imprinted cap rings
    in the cap, but also a gold plated cap ring between the imprinted ones. 
    This pen still has a steel nib, although initially gold plated. 
  • The fifth and last pen, possibly predates the first one. This assumption is
    based on the nib, which is an early 14 K Greif nib with a heart-hole (look at he
    second image).   

Collectionpistonfillers.thumb.jpg.341e7459a3e26337e62dab38c97df98f.jpgClose-upofheart-holenib.thumb.jpg.e9ce9a3cbb941b652922ae973b927ce2.jpg