Opinion On Which Pen It Is In Db's Swansong

pelahale

This is probably the best place to get a consensus opinion, expert confirmation:

In David Bowie's final song release, he handles a fountain pen extensively. It appears to be a real classic pen, not some modern garbage either. Vintage feed without fluting or combs. Large cylindrical pen (unlikely 12-sided) with large golden nib. Rear flat blind-cap with metallic band. Cap looks pretty standard type with metallic clip and at least a single cap band. Lighting makes the pen and ink look greenish. My guess is that it's something like a vintage Conway Stewart Churchill? What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8?t=2m42s

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• pelahale

• zwack

• hessi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe a Pelikan of some kind has been suggested in other threads, though the plain feed detail you mention contradicts that. Perhaps the video resolution cannot make out the fins?

How strange my two passions have touched here.

I'm guessing a Sailor Pro Gear, which has that distinctive flattop, and as a Bowiephile might know, he was an early adopter of the Internet, and his Web handle was "Sailor". He'd get a detail like that right.

Reddit suggestions were pelikan m800 or m1000 or a parker duofold, or a Nagaya. Others think some kind of Sailor, or maybe a custom pen.

Nobody has a definitive proof.

Based on what I could see.... it was a fountain pen.

fpn_1452787411__db_fp1.png

Judging from this frame, I would rule out Pelikan and Sailor.

Both the M1000 and the M800 have a slightly round end, not the flat end seen here.

As for Sailor, both the Professional Gear and Pro Gear II pens have smaller, more tapered ends, not this blocky cylinder shown in the video.

But Parker Duofold (Centennial), now this is more like it. In some Google Image results the end looks exactly like the one in this video.

fpn_1452787426__db_fp2.png

The section seems to support this, as well. Small step to the threads, tapered section, widening to the nib.

It's not a Pelikan, it's not a Sailor, it might be a Parker Duofold.

In one scene near the end, I could make out a gold band on the back of the pen, which had a slight taper -- and which looks a lot like my black Parker Duofold.

It looks like a variant of Parker Duofold Centennial. The cap looks like a single band though (were there such variants?). The side view of the feed confirms it. Nothing else but the modern Duofold Centennial would have that feed.

i-grsS3Hj.jpg

i-CXSCkb5-M.jpg

i-39Krsfd.jpg

The Conway Stewart Churchill could be a candidate in the external shape (it's an homage to the Duofold):

i-Q8GJzpn-S.jpg

But its feed looks like this:

i-W4mBPD3-M.jpg

The overall contours of the pen could be either, but it's almost certainly the Duofold Centennial.

i-T4fmhVW.jpg

i-tmfrQcc.jpg

This is probably the best place to get a consensus opinion, expert confirmation:

In David Bowie's final song release, he handles a fountain pen extensively. It appears to be a real classic pen, not some modern garbage either. Vintage feed without fluting or combs. Large cylindrical pen (unlikely 12-sided) with large golden nib. Rear flat blind-cap with metallic band. Cap looks pretty standard type with metallic clip and at least a single cap band. Lighting makes the pen and ink look greenish. My guess is that it's something like a vintage Conway Stewart Churchill? What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8?t=2m42s

So you are saying modern pens are garbage?? I beg to differ.

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

• 1 year later...

I’d modify that to “most modern pens are garbage”.

But I had a closer look at Mr. Bowie’s pen, and there’s a peculiar bevel to the section that I don’t think occurs in any of the pens that have been suggested. Does the collective mind want to revisit the question?

Interesting! Was David Bowie ambidexterous? I watched Zoolander with my daughter last night, and in that he makes notes with his right hand - but in the above stills he's holding the pen with his left.

• 1 year later...