Are Rollerball Pens Collectible?

thebbqguy

I had a nice Mont Blanc that I received as a gift that I used daily for more than 10 years. It's beat up and essentially unusable at this point, but I enjoyed the pen.

I am not married to Mont Blanc at all and I am seeking some feedback / suggestions.

It's easy to get caught up in the idea of collectible fountain pens (and I will get involved in that at some future time), but right now my interest leans toward rollerball pens.

• What suggestions do you have for a nice $50 - $75 rollerball pen that I can use daily for another 10 years and be proud to own it?

• Are there any collectible rollerball pens or is collectability really tied more to fountain pens?

Thanks any advice or suggestions / insight.

Brian

Edited by thebbqguy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyKeir

• sharonspens

• dogpoet

• pajaro

I personally don't know anyone that collects specifically rollerballs. I know people who buy sets that include rollerballs but fountain pens are much more desirable in the pen world.

I do know some people who collect propelling pencils but that is rare.

You might be able to repair your Montblanc instead of buying a new one. I have a Karas Kustoms Render K G2 that is nice. You get a lot of refill options with that pen.

/http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/858372_558495127508117_649985064_o.jpg

I collect anything associated with stationary,and consider any type of writing instrument fair game. A Reynolds Rocket, Thoreau pencil, or even the first rollerballs made for example.

My family thinks I'm crazy.

I actually do collect rollerball pens, specifically the modern Parker Duofolds. One nice thing about them is that the front section is interchangeable with the international size fountain pen sections, so you can easily switch between roller and nib. The only drawback is that only the short cartridges will fit. However I should warn you that not many people seem to be interested in collecting rollerballs, so it can be hard to track down specific pens, and their resale value is effectively nonexistent so don't expect your collection to be worth anything down the road.

If people collect beer cans, EVERYTHING is collectable. I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff to buy at garage sales and ebay.

One plus of collecting rollerballs springs to mind: it's not like you need to bring a loupe to charity shops to look at the nibs.

As for the collectability, or otherwise, of rollerballs, I'd imagine that vintage 70s Parker and Shaeffer models might well go for the same sort of money as ballpoints and fountain pens of the same vintage. There are 75 and Targa rollerballs, after all...

Brian, I have several rollerballs that knock around with me at various times. My current EDC is a Sheaffer Ferrari 300, in red, that has traveled in a single pen pouch in my purse for months. It still looks as good as the day I got it. I think it is in your price range.

I also have a THINK rollerball that I've carried for quite a while; that one might be at the top end of your range. And at the bottom end of that range are Retro 51s and ACME Crayons; I also have carried those around with little concern, and they look as good as when I bought them. I tend to be a bit rough on my toys, so I don't carry things that are easily broken.

As for collectibility, I agree with other posters; I don't think of these as particularly collectible unless they are part of a set.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

There are many cute Parker Sonnet rollerballs. I have a few, and they actually work without any trouble, which cannot be said for the fountain pens. Montblanc 163 rollerballs are nice looking and you could include them in a collection. Red and black are out there. There are Waterman Carene rollerballs. You could collect many and have a nice collection. These are a lot more modern than fountain pens, a technology that is hanging on because of those of us who persist with them. The main things about fountain pens that are advantages are the possibility of using more inks and the ability to use different nibs. Apart from that there is the way we have always done it and the arcane ritual value of persisting in using something which is often a pain to use.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

As for collectibility, I agree with other posters; I don't think of these as particularly collectible unless they are part of a set.

Does that mean nobody is paying the money that's being demanded for Tombow Eggs on ebay?

I suspect that part of the reason people on here are finding the notion of collectible rollerballs so unconvincing is down to this being a fountain pen site and as a result many thinking that all other pens are inferior to even a Platinum Preppy. I've seen ridiculous money being asked for a few rollerballs, and several of them seem to have sold. Even recent models, like the Waterman hemisphere, the price seems to be creeping up...

A greater truth would be all fountain pens being functionally inferior to rollerballs, a newer invention.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Does that mean nobody is paying the money that's being demanded for Tombow Eggs on ebay?

I suspect that part of the reason people on here are finding the notion of collectible rollerballs so unconvincing is down to this being a fountain pen site and as a result many thinking that all other pens are inferior to even a Platinum Preppy. I've seen ridiculous money being asked for a few rollerballs, and several of them seem to have sold. Even recent models, like the Waterman hemisphere, the price seems to be creeping up...

Well, you may be correct about that. I haven't followed RB forums closely, and indeed, RBs may be much more collectible than I realized. Personally, I don't consider them inferior - just qualitatively different. FPs and RBs both have a place in my collection; I usually have at least one RB in my bag, along with several FPs. I am almost as picky about loaning out my good RBs as I am about loaning a FP, though for different reasons - most people seem to know how to use an RB, but I still won't let one out of my sight.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Everything is relative. In some cases I prefer a good rollerball over a fountain pen. I know that is heresy on a FP forum...but I'm okay with being a heretic.

What, when and where I am writing makes a huge difference on which tool I choose. I'm writing a novel, currently at over 80k words plus notebooks filled with backstory and character notes etc. All written by hand. All written by about 30 different pens over the course of the project. While I love my fountain pens (some of them at least) they aren't always the best choice for me to utilize. And they can still cause wrist fatigue. Did I say I write a lot?

Once you find a rollerball refill you like and match it to a pen chassis that reflects your style and is comfortable in your hand, it can be a great writing experience as well.

I've sold some less desirable pens for a fair amount of money as well as paid a significant sum for some pens I decided I really wanted. It is a bit of a niche. But then again so too are fountain pens, especially some brands.

This is a fountain pen forum for sure. This little corner of it, however, is for all writing instruments other than fountain pens.

I have a collection of fountain pens, which I use daily, as well collections of rollerballs, ballpoints, mechanical and wood case pencils, inks, leads, papers,and more. Sorry, only one lonely little typewriter.

I feel that every writing instrument has a collectible value, especially now that they are trying to phase out handwriting altogether in our schools.

Sorry for the rant, my wife has the flu, and I'm in a grumpy mood.

This is a fountain pen forum for sure. This little corner of it, however, is for all writing instruments other than fountain pens.

I have a collection of fountain pens, which I use daily, as well collections of rollerballs, ballpoints, mechanical and wood case pencils, inks, leads, papers,and more. Sorry, only one lonely little typewriter.

I feel that every writing instrument has a collectible value, especially now that they are trying to phase out handwriting altogether in our schools.

Sorry for the rant, my wife has the flu, and I'm in a grumpy mood.

I feel like you do about all writing instruments being collectible. Further some people wanting to dump fountain pen praise into a thread about other pens took me to task for calling them on it. Kind of like fountain pens uber alles. I like my ballpoints and I get tired of the comments about using a ballpoint (rollerball, pencil, brush, sharp stick) being a thoughtless act of the plebs. So, there's another rant. We both have the flu.

Edited by pajaro

And today I received my second ROLLER BALL! I admit I purchased it to switch bodies with the same pen that I purchased as a fountain pen. It is the Kaigelu which was unavailable in the tortoise color when I bought the white/grey model a month or so ago after reading about their virtues here. I tried the included roller ball & was astonished @ how nice it was. The light colored body showed the converter inside the pen & it "bugged me."

The first RB was a Visconti Kaleido Voyager in Honey Almond finish. I saw the fountain pen here & thought it was a gorgeous pen but discontinued I did not find one offered for sale. I did find it available as a RB & for less than $100 shipped I had the pen I had admired. I found some caramel colored refills & have used it more times than I expected. It sits in an antique pewter colored metal pen holder (shaped like a hand "clutching" it) and provides a pleasant sight daily in front of me.

No apologies for either purchase nor that I use a Parker Jotter when fountain pen ink is not suitable for the task @ hand. BUT you'll NEVER make me use a mechanical pencil which I have several of from my Parent's Sheaffer Snorkle autograph sets. No reason to use such a thin "faint" lined tool BUT they also look nice in an old glass flower "frog" on the desktop!

I'm glad to see this topic since I like using rollerballs too. I actually have looked for a rollerball forum online and have never been able to find one, other than one person mentioning having a rollerball collection and having photos of his collection posted on a thread on fpn. Ironically, I actually found out about this forum by searching for info about refills ages ago.

I don't think of rollerballs as collectible because they aren't the focus of high end pen collectors, from what I've seen at pen shows, but that is anecdotal evidence. In my experience it is very difficult to sell expensive rollerballs; except for Pelikan, they don't retain value as much as fountain pens.

I like my ballpoints and I get tired of the comments about using a ballpoint (rollerball, pencil, brush, sharp stick) being a thoughtless act of the plebs.

I've noticed that people who are snobbish about using ballpoints tend to be converts to fountain pen usage, and strangely enough they will usually have kept a ballpoint or two that somehow escape criticism because they were expensive.

Perhaps those of us who started writing with fountain pens when we were children don't have these adult hang-ups.

Edited by brunico