What Was Your Biggest Disappointment With An Expensive Pen

4lex

For me, it was a Parker 51. It was one of the early ones with the all Lucite bodies and in great condition. The pliglass sac was in excellent condition and it had been fully restored by a well respected pen seller.

I got the pen and it looked fine, filled fine, but wrote with the weirdest feedback I'd experienced. I tried to look at it under a loupe, but the tines looked great and everything checked out. The issue persisted, so I deinked it and put it up, frustrated. Much later, I looked at it under a loupe again and because there was no ink on the nib, I could now see the tipping was gone and part of what I was writing with was the gold itself! I messaged the seller, who had asked a quite high price for this pen and he agreed to buy it back, but at a substantially lower price. I felt cheated, but it was months later, and I knew I could never sell it as it was and get the same price he was offering, so I reluctantly accepted the loss.

I had traded two other Parker 51's plus cash for that one pen. I thought it was my "Grail 51", but ended up with less cash in my pocket and I was down two perfectly functioning P51's.

In the end, I decided the Parker 51 just isn't anything special. It's a decent pen, but that's about it. I do like the clutch cap, as it never seems to wear out, but that was the most notable feature.

I recently took delivery of a Wing Sung 601 with the spring loaded plunger filling system and -- I surprise myself saying this, but -- I love it! It's a better functioning and more satisfying to own and use pen than any of the three other P51's I have owned, and it was 20 bucks!

It's my go to work pen and I have no desire for the inferior filling system of the original P51. The 601 can be easily fully disassembled and thoroughly deep cleaned too, something I really appreciate.

I had similar experience. I tried three 51 and I still think it was revolutionary for its time but I don’t love any of them. I have 601 Vacumatic and it is an improvement on the original as I can easily see the ink level. I often use it as my knockabout pen.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Pingu

• 4lex

• Precise

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 2001, I bought a DuPont Orpheo based on a breathless review at the now long-defunct IkonPen.

When it arrived, it had all the cosmetic and operational perfection that the reviewer had ascribed to it: An extraordinary lacquered finish, and all the warmth it endows, a fantastic heft and weight-distribution, and a deeply satisfying clicking mechanism for the cap.

But it didn't emit ink. Nor did its replacement.

If I'd known then what I know now (from reading the advice of people mainly on here, and from tons of white-knuckle practice), I'd have have done some simple voodoo on the nib and I'm pretty sure it would have been a wonder. Or ruined.

fpn_1546793326__img_4805.jpg

fpn_1546793341__img_4806.jpg

fpn_1546793355__img_4807.jpg

I like the crisp look of that notebook. It reminds me a bit of an iconic British brand called Silvine.

Is it a Swedish make? It seemsd to take ink very well.

I like the crisp look of that notebook. It reminds me a bit of an iconic British brand called Silvine.

Is it a Swedish make? It seemsd to take ink very well.

fpn_1546888890__img_4808.jpg

fpn_1546888913__img_4809.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Noihvo. What's the red pen?

(Not that I need another pen.)

Often wish that you'd label the pens and inks in your posted notes.

the text says Noodler's Neponset, right?

the text says Noodler's Neponset, right?

fpn_1547057942__img_4815.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 1 month later...

>Biggest Disappointment With An Expensive Pen?

My most expensive pen does not write 37x better than the least expensive one.

That and maybe reading horror stories of QC issues with higher tiered brands.

We have a fun game at home, where every new pen gets tested against the collection: who's the best writer?

You guessed it, it it not necessary the most expensive one.

While experience is subjective, adding in ink and paper variables, surprisingly cheap steel can top 21K gold.

I'm still learning/honing valuation of my fp experience, so maybe variability is a good thing.

That I had spent so much money on cheap pens. Hd i bough the expensive pen first, I wouldn't have bought all the cheap ones that preceded it.

I love tortoiseshell celluloid pens. I bought a Platinum tortoiseshell celluloid from Nibs.com. It arrived, and I was immediately crestfallen that it had a seam running down the barrel. Assuming it was a defect, I contacted Nibs.com and moaned. Turns out my assumption that the pens were made from rods was apparently wrong. I was told they're made from sheets of celluloid, which have to be rolled into barrel form. Hence, there's a seam on every pen.

What a way to ruin the organic tortoiseshell pattern: run a dead straight line right through it. Totally clear why none of the product photos showed the seam. Oh, well. I returned the pen and have never regretted it. And all my other Platinums are fab writers.

I love tortoiseshell celluloid pens. I bought a Platinum tortoiseshell celluloid

I have one as well. I love mine.

Turns out my assumption that the pens were made from rods was apparently wrong. I was told they're made from sheets of celluloid, which have to be rolled into barrel form.

Not just apparently wrong but factually wrong.

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/e_spec_explanation.html#celluloid

Generally, in the case of a celluloid pen, a 2cm2 block is cut out with a lathe, however, we use the rolling method as mentioned above. Due to the standard lathe process, a seam is visible on the body (seam roll), which at the same time is a sign of our unique production method.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Sorry. No disappointment here.

My beginner journey inexpensive pens taught me well, All but one have found new homes. I came to understand, through the kindness of this site, that one can purchase an expensive pen which arrives with a £5 nail nib .I came to the conclusion that pens are essentially nib holders.

When it came time to buy a serious pen I did so after extensive research. I purchased a Conid, for which one purchases the nib separately. Result - no disappointment!

Since then I have acquired two custom Indian ebonite pens without nibs, which now sport custom ground titanium nibs. Pleasant in hand, and to write with. More no disappointment!!

Research is the key.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I love tortoiseshell celluloid pens. I bought a Platinum tortoiseshell celluloid from Nibs.com. It arrived, and I was immediately crestfallen that it had a seam running down the barrel. Assuming it was a defect, I contacted Nibs.com and moaned. Turns out my assumption that the pens were made from rods was apparently wrong. I was told they're made from sheets of celluloid, which have to be rolled into barrel form. Hence, there's a seam on every pen.

What a way to ruin the organic tortoiseshell pattern: run a dead straight line right through it. Totally clear why none of the product photos showed the seam. Oh, well. I returned the pen and have never regretted it. And all my other Platinums are fab writers.

I was very seriously tempted by the Koi but the seam put me off it too.

This shows the seams (one in the cap, and one in the barrel) on the backside of my Platinum #3776 Celluloid tortoiseshell. Frankly, I hardly notice it when I look at the pen, and much less when I'm writing with it. So, no disappointment there for me personally.

fpn_1550806676__seams_on_my_platinum_377

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.