Inky T O D - So, What Was Under The Tree?

thudthwacker

Does gifts from me to myself count?

If you got yourself something in celebration of the season, sure! Just like it's going to count when I go out to the Fountain Pen Hospital and joyfully buy myself a bottle of a Noodler's exclusive ink.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• thudthwacker

• The Good Captain

• Misfit

Merry 2d day of Christmas and Feast of Stephen Martyr!

Two things of interest to this board were under the tree.

First was a bottle of Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku. While I've been hoping for some Yama-Guri, this is nevertheless a lovely ink. I have to find something to put it into.

Which might include the other thing: a Parker Vector calligraphy set with six cartridges, four nibs, one barrel and one syringe-style converter. Right now I'm using a blue cartridge with the broadest nib, and it's really quite attractive. Once empty, I shall no doubt start filling it with other inks. As it's been occasionally temperamental, it may well be my first pen to use the Ku-Jaku, particularly if I can find my pad of calligraphy paper. My usual default paper is just horrible; darned near any pen and ink will strike through on this stuff.

I had written an extensive wish list, specifying where all inks could be purchased with link and all. But none in my family understood what it was and didn't dare to buy me any.

I guess I have to be even more distinct in my wish list for my birthday, which is in less than one month.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

I had quite a good crop this Xmas: Visconti Turquoise, Omas Blue (in a 130 ml bottle), Montblanc Midnight Blue of the old, permanent, kind, and an assortment of cartridges. Quite a merry xmas indeed!

post-116237-0-62560900-1451143087_thumb.jpeg

Edited by KyleKatarn

Merry Christmas :)

Inks:

• Montblanc Blue Hour Midnight Blue
  • Montblanc Yellow Gold
  • Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst
  • Noodler's Blue Ghost
  • Noodler's Park Red
  • Noodler's Purple Heart
  • Noodler's Liberty Elysium

:P :wub:

Cheers

Michael

Sadly, nothing pen or ink related -- the husband claims he doesn't dare try to buy me stuff like that. :glare:

I got some board game (I forget the name of which) that is supposed be King Arthur themed and is in the style of games like Pandemic, which I like because it's cooperative (it's the players against the game).

I got him a book called Finding Zero which is about the search for the earliest reference in any sort of math system that involves the concept of, and use of, the number zero (I heard an interview on NPR a week or two back with the author, apparently recorded a couple of months before he died). So, I thought that sounded interesting and I guess we're sort of even: I got him something I thought sounded cool, and he got me something he was interested in.

Of course, I also picked up some yarn and fiber books over Thanksgiving weekend at a store that was going out of business, and then stopped at an antiques and collectibles place outside Chambersburg (I was driving, so I could :P) and while poking around found a Sheaffer Snorkel with a palladium silver Triumph nib that I *think* is at least an OB, and possibly even an OBB! :thumbup: And the guy at the counter said "Oh, I think that's been there a while -- the tag looks really faded. I'll let you have it for twenty bucks...." :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

I suspect he thought it wasn't worth as much as some of the other pens in the case (mostly also Sheaffers) because it didn't have a 14K nib like the green Snorkel did.... :ninja: So my real Christmas present is that he didn't object *too* strenuously when I decided to stop.... :notworthy1:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I love Pandemic. I prefer the cooperative games as well.

Posted Image

My wife surprised me with a 30ml bottle of Diamine Apple Glory. She also got me a TWSBI mini 1.5 mm stub nib unit (which I plan on fitting to a Vac mini, which I ordered with Christmas money yesterday (along with a couple of Vac 20a bottles)) and a couple of Kuretake envelope templates.

I missed this thread and so started another one asking about inks received as gifts.

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

I received a custom pen that my mother had made. The nib may need some smoothing, since it looks to be a kit pen,but the wood used is from the original butcher block used in our family bakery, installed by my great-grandfather 70 years ago.

This will be a cherished pen.

attachicon.gifIMAG1229.jpg

WOW, that is wonderful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

This was what I got, and I was very happy:
http://justwrite.com.au/image/cache/catalog/products/Blackstone%20Ink/blackstone-colours-of-australia-fountain-pen-ink-all-five-700x393.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My wife got a bottle of Sailor Maruzen Koubai, a pink ink, from a friend, to match her pink pen.

She juggled inks to pens.

- The Maruzen Koubai will go into her pink Platinum, and

- The Iroshizuki Kosumosu went into her new pink Esterbrook pastel.

She is on a pink pen/ink streak.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

My wife gave me an incredible gift of a Parker "51" Vac in Nassau Green as well as bottles of Caran D'Ache Magnetic Blue and Idyllic Blue. Fantastic pen day!

Buzz

No inks. Although there was some cash which could turn into ink.

On the pen front, a Pelikan M200 Cognac with lovely fine nib.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

An Aurora 88 (large) and a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue. Have to confess that I ordered and bought them myself, but I did have the patience to leave them under the tree. Paul at Akkerman had sent them 'gift wrapped' which I thought was a great touch, so it was like having 'presents'!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

My wife got a bottle of Sailor Maruzen Koubai, a pink ink, from a friend, to match her pink pen.

She juggled inks to pens.

- The Maruzen Koubai will go into her pink Platinum, and

- The Iroshizuki Kosumosu went into her new pink Esterbrook pastel.

She is on a pink pen/ink streak.

Koubai is one of my favourite pinks, along with BungBox Mother Pink & Kingdom Note Mycena Pura. Koubai is very classy.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Koubai is one of my favourite pinks, along with BungBox Mother Pink & Kingdom Note Mycena Pura. Koubai is very classy.

Very Nice.

From the inlaws: gift cards, an electric meat slicer and home made cookies. The cookies are gone, I haven't set up the slicer, yet, and a few gift-card purchases are on the way. This is from the first gift card:

23658715000_375a9ee553.jpg

#1 son's GF gets in town Wednesday so the immediate family is going to celebrate then.

Edited by snowbear

I got myself Sailor Bung Box Hatsukoi after seeing it was available from Vanness (which I hear is a rare occurrence, lol). Wasn't planning to buy any ink, but couldn't resist that purchase, especially not knowing when it might be available again. I was already over budget for Christmas, so it was hard to swallow the price, but I did it anyway...lol.

Its fantastic coming out of my TWSBI 1.5 stub onto Rhodia! Love the red sheen...

I received FOUR bottles of Diamine shimmering inks! Golden Sands, Blue Lightning, Red Lustre and Magical Forest. Very happy!

An Aurora 88 (large) and a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue. Have to confess that I ordered and bought them myself, but I did have the patience to leave them under the tree. Paul at Akkerman had sent them 'gift wrapped' which I thought was a great touch, so it was like having 'presents'!

You are so smart!