Inky T O D - So, What Was Under The Tree?

thudthwacker

This Christmas, I got a bottle of Sailor Oku-yama from my wife's sister and her husband, and a bottle of Iroshizuku Asa-gao from my wife. I've already loaded my Al-Star with the Oku-yama (truly lovely in a 1.1mm stub nib), and I can't wait until I have a chance to fill up with the Asa-gao (my first Iroshizuku ink).

I begin to understand the urge to have many-many pens -- I often find myself with more inks I want to try than pens to fill with them.

So -- how about you fine folks? What inky wonders glittered at you from under the tree this year?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• thudthwacker

• The Good Captain

• Misfit

No inks (2 new bottles already arrived earlier this week) but did receive a surprise gift of a Faber Castell Ondoro in Graphite Black (F). Very happy :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

This was a "fountain pen" Christmas. I gave my husband a Taccia Bamboo with medium nib. Our daughter gave us each a Hero, Picasso and a Boku fountain pen. She lives in China and has sent them to us. We have never heard of Boku fountain pens before, but the write extremely well! She says they come from Japan. I checked on the Internet, and with FPN and couldn't find anything on them. So, I guess I will need to do a pen review on each one.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I received a bottle of Wahl-Eversharp Wahlberry, it accompanied my new blue Wahl-Eversharp Decoband. A box of Platinum blue-black cartridges (a very nice ink, by the way) came with my Nakaya 21st anniversary Naka-ai with gold monkey roll stopper from nibs.com.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Kingdom Note Mycena-pura

Kingdom Note Pheasant

Bungbox Norwegian Wood

Bungbox First Love Sapphire

Edelstein Topaz

Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku

Kobe #24 Nakayamate Black

Kobe #35 Hachibuse Silhouette Green

KWZI Brown Pink

KWZI Rotten Green

Maruman Mnemosyne paper assortment

Sewing Machine

Books

---

The inks arrived 4 days ago and, silly me, I thought I would be exempt from having to wait until Christmas, but my significant other said no. :P

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I received a custom pen that my mother had made. The nib may need some smoothing, since it looks to be a kit pen,but the wood used is from the original butcher block used in our family bakery, installed by my great-grandfather 70 years ago.

This will be a cherished pen.

post-123669-0-94987600-1451086231_thumb.jpg

No pens 'n' inks (well, not apart from the bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Topaz that I included with the purchase of Chanel No 5 for my wife*), but I did get a block of paper, bound and printed with Dante's Inferno (Longfellow translation) and a selection of coloured illustrations from medieval to modernish times. (Yes, it's a book). It will go with the edition that has the full Divine Comedy with Doré's illustrations.

Now I will have to read it...

And that's a grouse pen, Mathematics Teacher. We want to see how it writes.

*Yes, girls and boys, we have a shop in Aus. that sells both perfume and inks.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Santa was very very good to me this year!!

Visconti Van Gogh

Lamy Vista Gift Set

Lamy Al-Star

7 Pack of Pilot Varsities

KWZI IG Orange

Some Rhodia and Clairefontaine

My daughter got me Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. She's even more awesome than the brilliant blue ink! It's loaded in my Parker 51 Special tonight.

May all be so lucky!

No pens this year, but I got a bottle of Visconti purple. Plus some Midori Travelers Notebook inserts, and a Lihit Lab A5 bag-in-bag.

Earlier friends gave me J Herbin Poussiere de Lune and a scented ink set.

Posted Image

Even though I asked for ink (Caran D'ache Delicate Green) I didn't get any. He tried to buy me a sample package of the Diamine Shimmertastic inks, but they were out when he went shopping. :P

But that's okay because I got a red Pilot Vanishing Point (red) (XF) and a Visconti Millennium Rainbow (F) neither of which I was expecting, but especially the last one!

I gave my 10 year old grandson the neon lime Lamy Safari with turquoise ink cartridges and a little neon green notebook. He wrote in his notebook "Grandma is AWESOME!"

Happy!

I received a beautiful 1967 Parker 45 Deluxe in Grey with a Fine nib.

My very first vintage fountain pen, it was given to me from a fellow FPN member. Best present ever!

Edited by Peppers

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

Sadly, nothing pen or ink related -- the husband claims he doesn't dare try to buy me stuff like that. :glare:

I got some board game (I forget the name of which) that is supposed be King Arthur themed and is in the style of games like Pandemic, which I like because it's cooperative (it's the players against the game).

I got him a book called Finding Zero which is about the search for the earliest reference in any sort of math system that involves the concept of, and use of, the number zero (I heard an interview on NPR a week or two back with the author, apparently recorded a couple of months before he died). So, I thought that sounded interesting and I guess we're sort of even: I got him something I thought sounded cool, and he got me something he was interested in.

Of course, I also picked up some yarn and fiber books over Thanksgiving weekend at a store that was going out of business, and then stopped at an antiques and collectibles place outside Chambersburg (I was driving, so I could :P) and while poking around found a Sheaffer Snorkel with a palladium silver Triumph nib that I *think* is at least an OB, and possibly even an OBB! :thumbup: And the guy at the counter said "Oh, I think that's been there a while -- the tag looks really faded. I'll let you have it for twenty bucks...." :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

I suspect he thought it wasn't worth as much as some of the other pens in the case (mostly also Sheaffers) because it didn't have a 14K nib like the green Snorkel did.... :ninja: So my real Christmas present is that he didn't object *too* strenuously when I decided to stop.... :notworthy1:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sadly, nothing pen or ink related -- the husband claims he doesn't dare try to buy me stuff like that. :glare:

I got some board game (I forget the name of which) that is supposed be King Arthur themed and is in the style of games like Pandemic, which I like because it's cooperative (it's the players against the game).

I got him a book called Finding Zero which is about the search for the earliest reference in any sort of math system that involves the concept of, and use of, the number zero (I heard an interview on NPR a week or two back with the author, apparently recorded a couple of months before he died). So, I thought that sounded interesting and I guess we're sort of even: I got him something I thought sounded cool, and he got me something he was interested in.

Of course, I also picked up some yarn and fiber books over Thanksgiving weekend at a store that was going out of business, and then stopped at an antiques and collectibles place outside Chambersburg (I was driving, so I could :P) and while poking around found a Sheaffer Snorkel with a palladium silver Triumph nib that I *think* is at least an OB, and possibly even an OBB! :thumbup: And the guy at the counter said "Oh, I think that's been there a while -- the tag looks really faded. I'll let you have it for twenty bucks...." :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

I suspect he thought it wasn't worth as much as some of the other pens in the case (mostly also Sheaffers) because it didn't have a 14K nib like the green Snorkel did.... :ninja: So my real Christmas present is that he didn't object *too* strenuously when I decided to stop.... :notworthy1:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I always make sure my wishlists are very specific, so folks who want to get me pen-related things will be able to do so without getting too creative.

I believe the game you got is "Shadows Over Camelot". It's a very heavy-duty game; I don't think we've beaten it yet. By and large, we stick with Pandemic and Forbidden Island for our co-op games fix.

I gave my 10 year old grandson the neon lime Lamy Safari with turquoise ink cartridges and a little neon green notebook. He wrote in his notebook "Grandma is AWESOME!"

Happy!

As I have great love for my own neon lime Lamy Safari and Lamy Turquoise ink, I'm in complete agreement with him. :D