Stupid Waterman Pens

HamFist

Sapphire ? Do you mean the Edson Sapphire.

If so Waterman have not officially announced its discontinuation unless you can provide hard proof they have.

I have asked this at my go-to B&M shop and he has confirmed that the Edson is at end of life. While pens still can be ordered Waterman has a shortage of certain nibs, and order times are long.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• mr2txaggie

• Maine Vintner

I have asked this at my go-to B&M shop and he has confirmed that the Edson is at end of life. While pens still can be ordered Waterman has a shortage of certain nibs, and order times are long.

D.ick

Interesting. I wonder what it will be replaced with?

Carene Lovers,

Actually, I read Force's post a little while back. And I figured if anyone would know whether or not the Sapphire was coming to the end of production it had to be him. But 2 things led me to go on and make the purchase:

1. The merchant that I purchased it from said it was going out of production, and I had done business with the retailer before and found them honest. I went with the stock Stub and after a flush slipped in the Serenity Blue cart that came with it. Actually, I prefer carts to converters, even if it means using a syringe to fill from the bottle.

2. I just really wanted the ( damned ) FP so badly I threw caution to the wind and bought it. That added to the Shimmering Amber, which I bought first, made a collection of two.

So, knowing the contacts are more than likely right, I went on and bought it.

One more thing about Watermans ( especially Carenes ) and Force, although I've not been at FPN long, I have had the pleasure of watching the art when he totally reburbishes a pen. I just have the two Waterman pens but the Carene simply caught my eye so I caught myself a couple of them.

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

How much does the Carene weight? The Ombres et Lumieres collection has really caught my eye.

Carene Lovers,

Actually, I read Force's post a little while back. And I figured if anyone would know whether or not the Sapphire was coming to the end of production it had to be him. But 2 things led me to go on and make the purchase:

1. The merchant that I purchased it from said it was going out of production, and I had done business with the retailer before and found them honest. I went with the stock Stub and after a flush slipped in the Serenity Blue cart that came with it. Actually, I prefer carts to converters, even if it means using a syringe to fill from the bottle.

2. I just really wanted the ( damned ) FP so badly I threw caution to the wind and bought it. That added to the Shimmering Amber, which I bought first, made a collection of two.

One more thing about Watermans ( especially Carenes ) and Force, although I've not been at FPN long, I have had the pleasure of watching the art when he totally reburbishes a pen. I just have the two Waterman pens but the Carene simply caught my eye so I caught myself a couple of them.

aggie

and I am still buying them...today another Marine Amber.

£50 and described as unused and new....who knows though after my recent luck. Silly really as the sections alone are now £77.

Edited by Force

Carene Lovers,

aggie

Aggie, it's the Edson that's going out, AFAIK.

I did not hear anything about Carenes. Although it's entirely probable that certain colours will make place for others. That's normal in the life of penmodels.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Carene Lovers,

aggie

Proposition #2 above is what made me buy three Carenes and put another together from parts. It's only the extra fine nib that I like on them, the others laying down too much ink. The colors are beautiful, amber marine, sea garden and blue, but the black one looks best in the Sheaffer Imperial black base. It looks like a desk pen. Haven't brought myself to sell the F, M and B nibbed pens yet. The shimmer colors are special.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I guess the nib size on your ' new one ' does not matter, you have plenty of others to slip, I would imagine.

I see what you are getting at D.ick And Force when you get a good one or " NOS ", you do have a certain skill.sett-make them look like the one I bought. And as for the weight Force had that covered in a hurry.

What about the Black Diamond, is that considered an Edson also, not that that color interests me at all. Just curious if it is ending production.

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Hello,

Have you ever tried to restore Carene's lacquerware's condition?

I have made a few mistakes in the way I used to protect my Carene and there are lots of little scratches nearly everywhere.

It is a Black Sea ST version.

Thanks for help!

Hello,

Have you ever tried to restore Carene's lacquerware's condition?

I have made a few mistakes in the way I used to protect my Carene and there are lots of little scratches nearly everywhere.

It is a Black Sea ST version.

Thanks for help!

This should probably be a separate topic but I will answer here.

If the damage is not down to brass, you could polish with a fine abrasive. I use T-Cut but there are other products on the market. The finish may require overcoating with a clear lacquer if one required.

If the damage is down to the brass, it could probably be hidden by filling in with a paint of the same colour and rubbing down, followed by a clear laquer spray. This is only possible, IMHO, on the Gloss Black.

If you search FPN you will find some of my total refurbishments where all the lacquer has been removed and the parts re-painted in non standard colours. My grandson minding duties have curtailed this hobby for a while and with another coming this year I doubt I can pick it back up yet.

Thank you very much, I didn't want to open a new topic, as it was nothing particularly urgent and this question simply came to my mind when I was reading this topic (I was intrigued by its name!) You've done a great job with those refurbishments! The damage isn't severe, the pen has simply lost much of its gloss due to many little scratches. I've seen a special set of tools (I think it was branded by one of the most popular fountain pen producers) somewhere on the Web, but I didn't need it at that time and now I can't find it anymore. Unfortunately I am not a skilled "arts and crafts" person, I am always very worried when I have to make a repair (well - all my 'inventions' work, but aesthetically they are imperfect). I wonder if it wasn't better for my Carene, if I showed it to someone more talented on a pen show in April.

This should probably be a separate topic but I will answer here.

If the damage is not down to brass, you could polish with a fine abrasive. I use T-Cut but there are other products on the market. The finish may require overcoating with a clear lacquer if one required.

If the damage is down to the brass, it could probably be hidden by filling in with a paint of the same colour and rubbing down, followed by a clear laquer spray. This is only possible, IMHO, on the Gloss Black.

If you search FPN you will find some of my total refurbishments where all the lacquer has been removed and the parts re-painted in non standard colours. My grandson minding duties have curtailed this hobby for a while and with another coming this year I doubt I can pick it back up yet.

attachicon.gifDSCN1476.JPG

Really nice work, Force, congratulations.

Very nice. The Amber Marine is what attracted me to these pens.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.