Has Your Platinum #3776 Century Broken?

JulianN

Has Your Platinum #3776 Century Broken?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Has Your Platinum #3776 Century Broken?

• Yes
    • No

Slightly softer with a bit of flex when I press; a smoother feel but with a bit of feedback. I find it hard to define exactly, it just feels ....... better, feels higher quality. It's not the price, the Lamy Scala for example has the same steel nib as the Safari or Logo, and costs more than the 3776 (£92 against £81).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JulianN

• Brian C

• JonSzanto

• Brianm_14

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, complicated, because of the questions asked, and the manner of asking.

While I don't take any offense, I also don't understand the implied expectations that these pens would be (1) very likely to break, or (2) are made of a "cheap plastic". Huh?

The plastic is softer than on some pens, perhaps, but that is hardly unique. I just don't get these questions or the polling.

These are quality pens, lovely in appearance and color -so blue, so red- and great performers. NEVER a hard start, no need to "nibmeister" anything. Bless our pen masters when we want customization, but how about a pen working right off for a change (or being fixed or replaced by the seller/manufacturer). These work well, right out-of-the-box. Surprise!

My two examples are champs. Just buy smart -Amazon Prime for $78, delivered. Return if you don't like it. I 'd pay $100, but not $150 or more (for this or any pen).

On my desk, I have a handful of pens for notes and extensive comments on my college students' papers. These include my two Centuries with red and blue inks (the converters work fine after cleaning with a little detergent in water), plus two Esterbrook desk pen (different colored inks) in dipless models. A F-C Loom with Diamine Oxblood and a Pilot 78G with Waterman brown round out the set. I never have a dry start.

Buy and enjoy.

Best,

Brian

Brian

Seriously??

No. Neither have had a single problem. I bought the second because the first was such a great pen.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

60 to zero, guess that tells the story! Mine is great, would buy another in a heartbeat.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have 11 Platinums and 6 Nakayas. I have all the different nib sizes except the EF and XEF. Like Brianm_14, I really don't understand where the concept of an easy to break Platinum came from. If there is a pen that's fragile and poorly put together, I'd vilify the Conklins. I bought one that's promptly broke in my hands while I was using it.

I have NEVER had any problems with any of my Platinums. They are made to a very high tolerance, write with nary a need for adjustments and are just workhorses that will last for many years.

Mine has never broken, but the plastic used feels very cheap and seems to get scratched just from looking at it. I ended up selling it. However, if you can handle the plastic, I feel the nib is worth it and an amazing performer.

Edited by tragique

I have a couple in basic black, Bourgne and Chartres, and three of the celluloid models. No breakage whatsoever. I just received a new Sailor 1911 and cannot tell any difference in the plastics. They may have been more cheaply finished in the past, but I cannot tell any difference in the feel of the 4 year old black Century, vs a brand new Sailor 1911.

Regards

Jeff

Mine has never broken, but the plastic used feels very cheap and seems to get scratched just from looking at it. I ended up selling it. However, if you can handle the plastic, I feel the nib is worth it and an amazing performer.

May I ask if that was an original or the Century?

I have a Chatres Blue which is great, but I bought a black one that had a nib defect; the tiniest of tiny bubbles in the tipping. It felt very odd when writing with it, a little scratchy and strangely 'bobbly'. I tried to smooth it out and the issue made itself known. Haven't heard that they have QC issues at all, I think I was just unlucky with my black one.

The more I think about this thread, the more I'm reminded of the old "Have you stopped beating your wife?" So much implied...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Cheap plastic associated with Platinum pens probably got its start with the Platimum Preppy which has an issue with the cap cracking. The issue in only with the Preppy and none of the other pens have this problem.

Cheap plastic associated with Platinum pens probably got its start with the Platimum Preppy which has an issue with the cap cracking. The issue in only with the Preppy and none of the other pens have this problem.

I beg to differ... If you take the barrel of a Platinum 3776C alone and compare it with the barrel of a pen that is made of lathe-turned high quality acrylic, you will immediately understand the difference.

The Platinum's barrel is thin injection-molded plastic. The higher-quality barrel is thick and made of a material that is typically more dense. Extend the quality difference to the whole pen and that's where the Platinum's reputation for "cheap plastic" comes from.

Platinum would help itself if it at-least molded the parts so they are thicker. Pilot does this with its high-end pens, and you can feel the difference.

The Platinum 3776 Century is a good pen, and it is (arguably) worth the $75-$85 they're asking for it if you buy it from Japan-direct. But it's not a great pen, and that's mostly due to the relatively small size and the materials used. I would never pay the outrageously marked-up price they're asking for the 3776C in the U.S.

The more I think about this thread, the more I'm reminded of the old "Have you stopped beating your wife?" So much implied...

I actually put that phrase in my original response! I only deleted it in interest of space; you are correct, that is the form of the question posed.

Brian

I beg to differ... If you take the barrel of a Platinum 3776C alone and compare it with the barrel of a pen that is made of lathe-turned high quality acrylic, you will immediately understand the difference.

The Platinum's barrel is thin injection-molded plastic. The higher-quality barrel is thick and made of a material that is typically more dense. Extend the quality difference to the whole pen and that's where the Platinum's reputation for "cheap plastic" comes from.

Platinum would help itself if it at-least molded the parts so they are thicker. Pilot does this with its high-end pens, and you can feel the difference.

The Platinum 3776 Century is a good pen, and it is (arguably) worth the $75-$85 they're asking for it if you buy it from Japan-direct. But it's not a great pen, and that's mostly due to the relatively small size and the materials used. I would never pay the outrageously marked-up price they're asking for the 3776C in the U.S.

Agreed -it is unfair to the pen to judge it by the silly, indeed obnoxious USA price. It is a fine writing value for $80, bought from Japan.

I don't personally find the plastic cheap, however, it is merely "adequate". The beauty is in the blue and red colors, and especially the nib and the readiness to always write when it touches paper.

Brian

It is all well and good for you to have an opinion. I happen to think the 3776 Century series is a remarkable pen, so much so that I added a second. The first, a Nice model, was immediately ground from a B to an italic by Mike Masuyama; the second, a Pur, hosts a very nice Nakaya nib done by Mottishaw, though that is no slight to the original nib (I got this pen specifically to host the Nakaya). These pens fit my hand perfectly, have a finish that shows no wear or use, and most importantly, never ever let me down for writing. I have left them capped and unused for at least 3 weeks (while traveling) and had them put ink down the precise moment the nib touched the paper. The second pen was purchased because the first exhibited this characteristic so well. The form and function of the 3776 design totally supports and rocks a Nakaya nib:

http://i.imgur.com/sE48iTIh.jpg

The OPs choice of title borders on stupidity, as I don't think I've ever heard people report breakage. Hate on demonstrators if you like, whine about relative acrylic thickness if you will, but this is a well-designed and well-executed pen that bats above it's pay grade. As for price, well, come on... people know how to shop around.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

It is not right to say the 3776 is not a great pen due to it's size. It is just as large as, or larger than, many vintage pens that are widely considered great. It's not overisized, true, but not all pens need to be baseball bats. I am so tired of reading about how a particular pen is "too small" just because it is not ridiculously oversized. The same thing is going on with my other hobby, watch collecting. People are buying 45mm plus watches that are just crazy too big for them and knocking more classically sized watches. Ah trends, what can you do.

Also, I'm not aware of any mass produced pen anywhere near the price of the 3776 that uses turned acrylic. You might be able to find a used Bexley or Edison once in a while, but then you have a far inferior nib, feed, and converter to deal with. I've seen the question of the quality of the 3776 plastic come up repeatedly. I don't think it's the quality of the plastic, I think it's the quality of the finishing to that plastic. Montblancs are made from plastic and if they put the same level of finishing into their "precious resin" I'm sure it wouldn't be a precious. I can live with seeing the seems in the 3776 as it houses the best nib/feed/converter combo made today. Platinum is giving us a top of the line pen hidden in a middle priced package. I feel they should be congratulated for this.