Pen And Ink Database

JefferyS

I have been using Filemaker Pro as a database for my inks and fountain pens. Many folks on the FPN have brought up the issue of keeping databases of their various pens and inks. One free one that I'm looking at if called Air Table. It is like a large, online spreadsheet that acts like a database. There is a free version, which should be enough for anyone using it track this sort of information. If you need to go over the limit (thousands of pens and inks?), there is a paid version.

The problem with my Filemaker database is accessing it from multiple sources. It is in Dropbox, but I invariably end up with 10 copies of it on various computers and pads.

If you are interested, give it a look. I am in no way affiliated with AirTable. I just notices it on a Facebook ad link, and it seemed like a good solution.

Click on the Guidebook on their site. It will give you a brief view of how to use it.

Jeffery

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• mhguda

• PS104

• Coop

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting started. It allows you to import into the rows, so I have the pens and inks in.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Looks interesting, but I have a pretty extensive excel spreadsheet keeping track of my pens and inks. Could that whole spreadsheet be imported? If yes, I might consider migrating...

Thanks in any case for mentioning this. If not for pens and inks, I may start using this...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I made a database with two fields. In one table ("Pens"), I imported 58 fountain pens from a CSV file I exported from Filemaker Pro. In a second table ("Inks"), I imported 85 inks from a CSV file. It took some fiddling around because the instructional tutorials are entirely visual (no talking...just music in the background). Took me some trial and error.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

There is also a FilMaker Pro database on FPN that you can download

I fell in love with FileMaker Pro and all of its possibilities. I could make all sorts of reports with the various fields that were needed in the office. It was wonderful but it is a bit pricey.

The one on FPN is essentially 'frozen' by the author but I use it to keep track of pens and inks. In the Navigation tab you can toggle between the two categories. List them, sort them, etc. It's sufficient for the limited amount of information I want to keep track of.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/29267-fountain-pen-database-available-for-download/

The problem with my Filemaker database is accessing it from multiple sources. It is in Dropbox, but I invariably end up with 10 copies of it on various computers and pads.

I'm planning on setting up a pen/ink/etc database. But as I want to make sure things don't go out of sync on various devices, I plan on using a SQL database running on a webserver somewhere for the backend and either just create either a web based or otherwise device independant front end. That way there is only 1 point where data is stored, so you never end up with different versions.

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262105-handwriting-from-hell-a-quest-for-personal-improvement/?do=findComment&comment=2917072

• 2 years later...

I am about to set up my first pen and ink database and wondered if you would share what fields (metadata) you are tracking in your various systems.

SouzaKH

San Francisco

It might be time to migrate the fade database.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY