Platinum Converter Malfunctions?

ENewton

... I've had to grease a few as shown in jde's video (except using a toothpick)...

Yes! Toothpick!

Actually I use the swab stick (the cotton part cut off). Should have redone the video, properly. :happyberet:

The only Platinum converter I had to toss was one I experimented with by slicing and dicing it up. (A failed experiment trying to get it to fit into an old Platinum pen that didn't use current converter.)

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jde

• jar

• ENewton

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had one fail on me but goodness do they rattle.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I just spent an evening dismantling, cleaning and greasing all my Platinum converters. They do seem to get stuck very easily - in one case because a little of the ink had leaked behind the seal and gummed up the piston. It's remarkable what a difference the silicon grease has made; they're all moving very smoothly now.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• 5 months later...

That link to the video is broken. Here's the correct one. Sorry 'bout that!

JDE, thank you so much for this video. I just removed my 3776's converter in preparation for a cleaning, and found it to be stuck. I thought I was losing my mind, or my hand strength, but after reading this thread I now suspect it was not well lubricated when I bought it in April 2016 (yes, basically 2.5 months ago). I will need to put this one aside until I find some silicone grease, then I will try to follow your directions.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway