The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

Here is a link to mine (Flickr) for any new folks that care to see them.

@amberleadavis: I remember those books and the characters (though barely). Thanks for sharing that.

Edited by snowbear

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My mother trained with Keith Ward. Ward and Eleanor Campbell illustrated the Fun With Dick and Jane readers. so, when I think of umbrellas, I think of Sally.

eaaea357fb3ed127239c13844dd44950.jpg

So charming! :cO

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

My mother trained with Keith Ward. Ward and Eleanor Campbell illustrated the Fun With Dick and Jane readers. so, when I think of umbrellas, I think of Sally.

Yes - a good illustration of mawkishness.

Verba volant, scripta manent

If you want me to hide the snake, then send me the link. I'll do that. I didn't see it. If this topic remains off kilter, it will be closed.

So, what other drawings do others have?

Thanks for the offer, but I don´t want you to censor even more, even such things which I really dislike as such photos.

IMO this is mainly a forum used by adults, as our passion is mainly shared by older people.

Even younger people should not have a problem with my sketches.

I have no problem showing all my pictures to my 6 year old son.

From teenager age on all should know, know to use and own this commodity item to protect themselves.

IMO there is no need to limit the content to Kindergarden niveau, and if you are honest to yourself you know that the argument with the young people is not the true one, it was done because of prude adults or adults with a medieval mindset.

As Migo said there is no need to hide art from children.

But all this will change nothing here and I will not try to argue any longer.

So no need to close the thread.

At least you could unhide Piraś Guy Montag sketch again.

You want to see my sketches, ok here is the Flickr link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117783735@N07/

You will understand that I can't continue posting them here because something like this will most likely happen again some time.

Very good, your mom is a professional ! :)

So much passion here. That surely is better than apathy. :happyberet:

Yesterday I spent the morning in the Art Gallery of South Australia. There were paintings of battle scenes, showing entrails & viscera, many nudes (painted, sculpted & photographed), a series of photos of a young man dying of AIDS, distorted interpretive imagery of dissected bodies, Francis Bacon-style, paintings of entwined lovers, paintings of protest, violence & war, religious paintings showing corpses, beheadings, stabbings, devils & monsters, paintings showing the killings of aboriginal peoples. Paintings & artworks from all periods; all considered classics.

There were many, many young people, viewing & enjoying the masterpieces & exhibitions. None of it was censored, none off-limits. The young people knew that it was Art.

:notworthy1:

The paintings my mom did of my family are among our most treasured possessions.

:wub: I completely understand. The walls of my tiny office are plastered with treasured notes, sketches and painting my kids have done. SO precious. SO honest.

As Moderator: Folks, this forum is for people of all ages and we have YOUNG members for whom certain topics are more appropriate for family members or other forums. This is also an international forum with different definitions of socially acceptable. As you all know, the rules are clear, a moderator may make a decision and just like in sports, arguing with a referee is prohibited. This is not a forum hosted in the United States so freedom of speech issues differ.

Bottom line, I'd like to see some more themed sketches.

As the person who loves inks!!

On that note, I bought an inexpensive Manuscript pen - the black ink in the cartridge was terrific and waterproof. I was impressed. I'll try and post up my doodles, or draw one on point.

Thank you, as a moderator, for acknowledging the issues here. :)

If you want me to hide the snake, then send me the link. I'll do that. I didn't see it. If this topic remains off kilter, it will be closed.

So, what other drawings do others have?

As abhorrent, to my eyes, as it is, I wouldn't dream of it! I was only pointing it out to try and fathom what is and isn't deemed 'acceptable' on FPN and if I'm honest, to stir things up a little . . . as many of you here know, Pterodactylus has long been a regular, passionately enthusiastic, uplifting contributor throughout the site and from a selfish point of view didn't want to lose him over a knee jerk censorship.

Thanks for the offer, but I don´t want you to censor even more,

Amen.

B)

<--- A new avatar for a fresh start here, perhaps.

This site really needs some kind of "like" button for posts.

Ptero - I fully understand and support your decision not to post your sketches; thank you for posting a link to your drawings so new folks will be able to enjoy them

Tas - Well said.

Edited by snowbear

Thank you Amber for taking the time of giving an explanation.

Maybe Pira's drawing could be unhidden, seing that there is nothing that would hurt young people, Amber? And the face is excellent for understanding, and learning, the use of thatching to give an expression.

Would it be possible, please?

Thank you Ptero for keeping to give advise to others, and give the link to your art to be appreciated. I understand your decision, and respect it. I only wished nothing of this had happened, depriving us of beautiful pages. :(

Thank you Snowbear for continuing to come, and animate the thread, even if your drawings are only available through a link :(

Tas, as usual, the words of wisdom, and serenity.

I fully agree on the rattle snake matter, as revolting as it is to me to see such obnoxious attitudes being perpetuated by such horrible images. :angry:

@Amber - Beautifully cute, that drawing. Thank you for sharing. I surely hope you will indulge in posting some more of your precious tresors.

Your mother was very talented. :)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

To help get things back on track, here is the #22, an umbrella (re-posted):

26240867272_db99ab1859.jpg

Red/pink: Noodler's Widowmaker, Lamy Safari Fine

Yellow/orange: Noodler's Apache Sunset, Speedball B6 (small round) dip pen nib

Purple: Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst. Pelikan M205 Amethyst Special Edition Italic

Black: Unknown, possibly Noodler's Black, Cross Bailey Medium

A touch of Private Reserve Avocado, also with the dip pen.

Water washes over wet ink with #4 watercolor brush

Edited by snowbear

As per Pterodactylus suggestions (pupils filled)

Before

http://s5.postimg.org/gf3pgiazr/Kowther1a.jpg

After

http://s5.postimg.org/5w3prc8br/Kowther1b1.jpg

"My daughter"

Sheaffer Intensity

Parker Penman Mocha

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Ah yes, so much better. The look is softer.

Well done. :)

Thank you :)

Woah! Totally different feel to it!

Yes, I was surprised myself :)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Couple of points of clarification.

I didn't hide the GM posts and I'm not going to argue with the other mods about reposting them. I added the clarification because I want you to know that I'm not ignoring you.

As for the post I did with the umbrella, that was done by Eleanor Campbell, not my mom. Sally was the character under the umbrella. My mom studied with those artists and yes, they were professionals. My mother was a professional in that she was paid for her work, but she made some poor choices and has not been an artist for many years.

I am adding an umbrella post shortly. I think you'll find it funny to know that in the last week when it was storming in Las Vegas, I didn't see a single umbrella downtown. I did see, a rainbow, a leprechaun, a unicorn, 15 brides and 12 grooms (I didn't ask), 1 pink cadillac, and 5 Elvi in about 50 minutes. The Flying Elvi were not performing in downtown last weekend.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Petro - that was terrific advice to fill in the irises.

Northstar - WOW.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/04-April/slides/2016-04-18_07.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/04-April/slides/2016-04-18_07.jpg

My ex-boyfriend had one of those "umbrella" hats. I thought it looked completely goofy but he liked it for when he was doing archery.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I agree that they are goofy.