The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

And away we go:

#1 ~ morning beverage.

...which in my case is coffee. Black. And of course I would throw out this theme and then remember my favourite mug has anything but a simple handle.... :wacko:

Ink: DeAtramentis ~ Plum Blue in a Monte Rosa EF pen on Stillman&Birn, Zeta paper.

22877106196_0281f9d57c_b.jpgFPN Weekly Sketch #1 by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stonezebra ~ first out of the gate. Good for you :) Must have had your coffee! Like that perspective you snagged there!

cmwrenn3 ~ two of my favourite things; coffee AND cat(s)! I love the fact that you included a drawing of the drawing ...it's like a inky hall of mirrors! :D

SNAK ~ I'm not only impressed with the drawing, I am impressed that you make yourself a latte first thing in the morning. I'm happy to be able to grind the beans for my cuppa joe and not my fingers ...let alone any of this fancy milk foam play that I spy going on there ;)

Milkb0at ~ LOL at your comment comparing your drawing to SNAK's to the musicians. I love your Athens mug ~ it reminds me the style of many graphic book illustrators. Speaking of which...you like the Platinum Carbon pen? I am assuming it's the desk pen (with or without the stand)? If so which sized nib? I use two sizes and have a desk set for one.. makes it really easy just to grab and draw :)

Mingo984 ~ Please don't be intimidated. We are all doing this because we love pens and drawing, regardless of our skillset. Trust me....I am trying to get a handle on perspective and failing miserably but am doing this to improve. :) By the way...your mug of coffee is super. Really like the shading & highlights you have captured on that. :)

Great work people!

Edited by Pira

Milkb0at ~ LOL at your comment comparing your drawing to SNAK's to the musicians. I love your Athens mug ~ it reminds me the style of many graphic book illustrators. Speaking of which...you like the Platinum Carbon pen? I am assuming it's the desk pen (with or without the stand)? If so which sized nib? I use two sizes and have a desk set for one.. makes it really easy just to grab and draw :)

Thanks Pira.

Yes, it's the desk pen (without the stand, and not yet with a converter). I didn't know it came in different nib sizes, but I've got a "fine" (I think) which to me is more like an extra-extra fine. For something that cost me less than £7 (less than CAN $14) including a cartridge it's excellent. The nib is very smooth, has some spring to it, I like the ink and it's comfortable to hold. It'll be a convenient alternative to a Gillott 404 dip nib which is what I've been using recently.

What beautiful drawings everyone!

I am thoroughly enjoying looking at each of your ink lines and washes. They are very inspiring and I will learn so much. I am very excited about this thread and the themes that we will be working on together, but individually. I hope more people will pop in and show us your drawings.

My desk is a drawing table so I always have a small sketchpad nearby, along with various pencils and pens. I'm looking forward to your sketches.

cmwrenn, I don't have a designated place to do my drawing so I end up carrying my sketchbook to the couch, dining table, etc. It is a great idea to have everything all set up and ready to go like you.

The variety in styles is what I'm really looking forward to :) .

Loving everyones so far . . .

+1

I agree Tas, different styles and renditions that we can feast our eyes on and learn from.

Hey, it's not fair I posted right after Snak's. That's like doing an amateur guitar solo right after Eric Clapton.

milkb0at, I am really new at this drawing business, and my hurdle is to try and branch out from the thick outline that I use often as a security blanket, and try to practice crosshatching and stippling to contour objects to try and make them more realistic and organic, and less like colouring in pictures that my drawings tend to resemble at the moment.

SNAK ~ I'm not only impressed with the drawing, I am impressed that you make yourself a latte first thing in the morning. I'm happy to be able to grind the beans for my cuppa joe and not my fingers ...let alone any of this fancy milk foam play that I spy going on there ;)

Thanks Pira, it just happens that coffee is one of my other interests besides fountain pens, and I do my raw coffee bean blending, roasting, grinding, brewing, and tasting as a hobby. For me making coffee is a zen moment and I enjoy it as much as drinking coffee. ;)

Nice work, everyone!

You have touched on two of my obssessions: coffee cups (this one is a classic Pfaltzgraff Gourmet, or Brown Drip Glaze)...which I rendered with a Wing Sung, in a failed attempt at the now-unavailable Pelikan Khaki ink.

And yes. Pencil lines.

22898421306_7a920630be_z.jpg

Coffee. Milk, no sugar. And by the time I got to sketching...empty.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My favourite mug, an old Muchelney Pottery gift from a shoot but now with a broken handle.

I thought it'd be interesting to use the actual "morning beverage" to sketch with so I washed over the paper with Greek coffee.

Hmm, not such a good idea.

With a promise to go "looser" and not to over egg it so much next time, here's my contribution.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pira_nov_1_2015.jpg

Pen - Lamy Safari (I never like sketching with these :wacko: )

Ink - Sailor School Brown

Paper- Cass art 300gm watercolour

Wash - J Herbin Gris Nuage (and Greek coffee)

Spritzed with water then went over lines with De Atrementis Archival Black but should've waited till paper was dry :( - we live and learn.

Edited by Tas

Having already done my sketch for #1 I felt less pressure to get it right. So without really thinking I did a second version just now, this time taking only a few minutes and with much more wild abandon. It was good fun, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Some things have worked better, some worse but that's ok.

Once again this is with the Platinum Carbon Pen (and ink). Pencil was involved at first, but much less, much rougher and you might be able to tell I didn't bother to erase it afterwards.

post-54491-0-42271600-1447346421_thumb.jpg

My favourite mug, an old Muchelney Pottery gift from a shoot but now with a broken handle.

I thought it'd be interesting to use the actual "morning beverage" to sketch with so I washed over the paper with Greek coffee.

With a promise to go "looser" and not to over egg it so much next time, here's my contribution.

Spritzed with water then went over lines with De Atrementis Archival Black but should've waited till paper was dry :( - we live and learn.

It's moody. I like.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Wow! Now there's a really crack-of-dawn winter cuppa! Like the twilight-like result :)

i like all of them. I'm going to spend more than two minutes on the rest of them so hopefuly, they won't look like chicken sctatches.

A couple of days ago I put my dip pen nibs (not many - a couple of "sets" from Speedball) in a strong ammonia solution to try and clean them up. After rinsing them and looking closely, they appeard to be in real good shape. I placed them in a paper towel and set on the side of the desk/table to dry.

Well, apparently I cleaned up a bit and didn't realize they were still in the towel, though I did find one tiny extra-fine point nib. I just ordered a few nibs and am hoping they will be here soon.

Wow! Now there's a really crack-of-dawn winter cuppa! Like the twilight-like result :)

Thanks again for your encouragement and for "getting" the fact it was a dawn coffee.

I was up early to get things done and didn't want to wake anyone apart from the cat.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_dawn_bruce.jpg

Thanks again for your encouragement and for "getting" the fact it was a dawn coffee.

I was up early to get things done and didn't want to wake anyone apart from the cat.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_dawn_bruce.jpg

Aww - head scritches!

milkb0at ~ The Platinum Carbon Desk pen also comes in a Super Fine (which is like a Sakura Micron 005). These pens also travel very well and a cartidge lasts for ages.

Like the 2nd sketch too. I will admit that before I put pen to paper I do a few pencil sketches on another sheet to work out the shapes because truly I am horrible at observing on the fly.

SNAK ~ your coffee hobby sounds amazing. Wow. :D

Sailor Kenshin ~ I really like that cuppa ~ you really got those dripping glaze edges down.

watch_art ~ Great that you could join in the happy madness with your loose & flowing line work!

Tas ~ You actually managed to give that drawing the feel and texture of old pottery. Drawing with coffee ....good choice! As for the kitty...aaaaah want to scritch that cute noggin!

cmwrenn3 ~ about those pen nibs.... :doh: DOH!!!!

I.M. ~ Absolutely!! I agree =^..^=

Edited by Pira

Thanks - yes, kitties can be wonderful, even with the challenges that go along with them. I told Zoe (the calico) and Bell (an older grey tuxedo) about the wonderful comments you've made they said they might show up in another sketch or two.

The nibs. Yes, I'm feeling a bit dumb, but the new ones have shipped and should be here early next week. I might try something a bit different this week.