The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

Awesome Prvt. Toter , I never digitized a drawing yet.

I'm very interested how you process the photo digial.

Can you explain what you did?

I guess you paint over the foto on a different layer, do you recreate the outlines digitally?

Do you use your finger or a stylus?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ANOTHER SHELLED FRIEND

Ptero, I have used many of these programs on a PC, however with the Ipad things are MUCH easier... I have several graphics apps loaded on my Ipad... Paper, Procreate, Sketchbook, Bamboo, etc... they all have pluses and minuses.

Personally, I like sketchbook about the best. I use multiple layers and start by taking a photo of my hand sketch from pen and paper. I begin by retracing and cleaning up my line work, start flooding colors, and then add layers to highlight and tone if i choose. In the end it is a simple export using email.

I use a simple dime store stylus, none of the high dollar fancy stuff, though I have tried them. Here is Mr. Krabs, drawn on paper with fountain pen then pulled through Sketchbook and back out.

initial sketch with paper and pen...

fpn_1457818004__ki.jpg

then the sketchbook version.

fpn_1457817386__krabs.png

Edited by Prvt. Toter

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

Thanks for your good explanation. :)

Which advantage do you see to sketch it traditional instead of doing also the sketch digital?

Btw. I use currently Procreate to draw digital, and I have to admit that I love this app.

I started to draw digital only a short time ago (my wife gifted me a apple pencil).

Another lovely week of sketches from everyone.

Loving the Lee & Perrins Migo984.

Respect to milkb0at for conquering the angular HP.

OMG Pira, your light and shades, beautiful.

SNAK, stunning as usual and I had a similar idea. However, I didn't want to raise the old rivalry between Vegemite & Marmite so I bit off a little more than I could chew and had the "bright" idea of a "demonstrator" salt grinder. ?! :o

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pira_nov_3_2015.jpg

Pen - Noodler's nib creeper (also demonstrator)

Ink - Waterman's Intense black.

Paper - A Linen sample gifted by therealscubasteve (can't recall exactly what it is)

1st time ever sketching on linen paper. The pen and ink run away with you. Whilst this may be nice when writing a letter, I found it a mare sketching. No control. No colour split from my beloved Waterman's black either. I'll stick to more absorbent paper next time. Living and learning. . . :)

Southworth 100% cotton Resume paper. It's quite finicky even for letters. Lovely drawing - I forgot about this thread. :)

Southworth 100% cotton Resume paper. It's quite finicky even for letters. Lovely drawing - I forgot about this thread. :)

Thank you Steve!

That stuff's tricky . . . :)

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/03-March/2016-03-12_04.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/03-March/2016-03-12_03.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/03-March/slides/2016-03-12_02.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/03-March/slides/2016-03-12_01.jpg

Fab.
Love your style of drawing.

I use the glass of wine you sketched ages and ages ago in a screen saver folder.

#19 - Shell of an aquatic creature

Ah, the Land of Pleasant Living. All I need is a Natty Boh*

25670048281_7acdef877e_z.jpg

20160313_163946.jpg by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Crabs: Noodler's Apache Sunset, undiluted wash.

Seasoning tin, crab claw hammer: D-R Acrylic, Lemon yellow, undiluted wash;

Tin top and lettering: Lamy Safari Fine with Noodler's Ratler Red Eel

Tin design: Conklin Duragraph (1.1mm stub) with Diamine Blue Pearl

Outlines and shading: Lamy Vista EF with Iro. Tsukishi

* National Bohemian beer, originally brewed in Baltimore, MD.

Edited by snowbear

Fab.

Love your style of drawing.

I use the glass of wine you sketched ages and ages ago in a screen saver folder.

You are too kind. I'm pretty sure my style is like that of little kids. I refuse to use pencil so I do everything freehand. ... except when I trace my hand.

You are too kind. I'm pretty sure my style is like that of little kids. I refuse to use pencil so I do everything freehand. ... except when I trace my hand.

Too kind, no. Honest, yes.

Children often see things with the clearest eyes.

I don't use pencil either, partly as I don't like the feeling it sends up my arm but mainly it means I have to draw the thing twice :wacko:

:wub: Thanks guys, that's very encouraging.

Theme #15 "Something you wear atop of your head"

This evening sketch.

Only using a pastel brush.

25542245100_882d108365_o.jpg

(Procreate, Apple Pencil, iPad Pro)

I'm catching up as best I can in a hectic life. Here are two sketches, both today, both fairly quick, rough & ready. It would all be much quicker and easier if I knew what I was doing!

#17 kitchen utensils

post-54491-0-54725500-1458241646_thumb.jpg

These are just the first three I put my hands on.

#18 battery

post-54491-0-53011300-1458241658_thumb.jpg

A D size battery, not that it's easy to tell. You can tell that I've forgotten how to draw circles in perspective properly. I used to be able to do it years ago.

Both sketched with pencil, Platinum Carbon Pen & Ink and Moleskine Pocket Sketchbook paper (which is looking particularly yellow in these images, since I took the photos outside in the lovely sunshine).

I didn't draw the table they were on, partly due to incompetence and partly because I didn't want to draw the metal mesh of the outdoor picnic table :)

Prvt. Toter, your awesome Sub inspired me also to try one this evening.

Theme # 19 "A shell of an aquatic creature"

25889782316_d1ee626196_o.jpg

(Procreate, Apple Pencil, iPad Pro)

nicely done, having spent a few years in the Navy, I have to say that nothing gets your pulse up like an active sonar ping....

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!