The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

LostCity, that looks great!

BTW, are you from Nevada or Virginia?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, Snowbear, I know you are from somewhere else. :)

We have a Lost City, Nevada and it seems that if anyone is from Atlantis, they aren't talking, but the second lost city in the Americas would be Roanoke, though maybe that would be Lost Colony?.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Lost City, Oklahoma!

It was a Cherokee village before statehood. It's actually about six miles from where I live but is the closest four-way stop. There isn't much more than that four-way stop either! Just a cemetery and a tornado shelter. The school closed six or seven years ago, the tribe just couldn't put enough money into it to keep it above code.

We're about sixty miles east of Tulsa.

Edited to add an old blog post link...

http://lostcityknits.com/2010/03/19/losing-lost-city-school/

And I just found this article which says the school was built in 1901.

Edited by Lostcity

Well, Snowbear, I know you are from somewhere else. :)

We have a Lost City, Nevada and it seems that if anyone is from Atlantis, they aren't talking, but the second lost city in the Americas would be Roanoke, though maybe that would be Lost Colony?.

Just don't confuse Roanoke Island, NC with Roanoke, VA. And, yes, I am from another place, but not another state.

Lost City, Oklahoma!

It was a Cherokee village before statehood. It's actually about six miles from where I live but is the closest four-way stop. There isn't much more than that four-way stop either! Just a cemetery and a tornado shelter. The school closed six or seven years ago, the tribe just couldn't put enough money into it to keep it above code.

Son number one's girlfriend is in Tulsa.

Lost City, Oklahoma!

So, lost cities in America have to do with Native Americans, how sad to see the school sitting empty and closed. How long have you been dyeing yarns?

Snowbear - Tulsa's my hometown and a pretty good place - most days!!

Amberleadavis - I've been knitting just over ten years, dyeing and designing for maybe 7?

Snowbear - Tulsa's my hometown and a pretty good place - most days!!

Amberleadavis - I've been knitting just over ten years, dyeing and designing for maybe 7?

And how long have you been playing with pens and inks?

Here's a quick sketch for today. I tried to catch the odd directions that the yarn in a twisted skein takes. Which turns out not to be an easy task for me.

I'll repeat this a few times.

Shetland 2 ply hand spun drawn with dipping pen and Monte Verde black ink.

post-127191-0-43299600-1452711489_thumb.jpeg

Here's a quick sketch for today. I tried to catch the odd directions that the yarn in a twisted skein takes. Which turns out not to be an easy task for me.

I'll repeat this a few times.

Shetland 2 ply hand spun drawn with dipping pen and Monte Verde black ink.

Nice job. I agree that spirals take some time to learn.

I once had to do a drawing with a mop thread, and it was really fun. I did not get to the level this guy did though:

http://www.flixxy.com/amazing-thread-painting.htm?utm_source=nl

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

Whoaaaaaaa

I think I'll crawl under the desk and suck my thumb now.

My exact reaction :o

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Wow. I just tossed out my sketchpad.

The technique makes me think of working with pastels - the kind that break easily.

Whoaaaaaaa

I think I'll crawl under the desk and suck my thumb now.

:yikes:

And I think that was all freehand -- no underdrawing.... I'm still trying to figure out how he did sections such as the swath of multiple lines to do stuff like the woman's bracelets all in one fell swoop.

Is there still room for another person under that desk? :huh:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A natural talent (his mother was an artist, his father, a musician) and years of practice.

That's the thing I TRY to remind myself of every time I pick up a pen. "years of practice". I put sketching away for decades...decades. If I'd practice sketching with intent as often as I knit, I'd be better with at sketching.

So everyone will feel better about themselves, here:

23772367063_4c792ec937_z.jpg

Yes, cheatin' again...hand AND yarn!

The ink is JH Perle Noir with Noodler's "GI Navajo (Nav. Turquoise and Midway GI Green)" in a needle-tip manga pen that is capable of carving whatever paper it draws on.

For the record, I missed the crumpled paper, but it was gonna be a candy wrapper.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.