The Weekly Sketch ~ Themed Drawing Prompts For Members

Pira

I made an incorrect assumption, so I'm sorry about that.

I figured you would make a stamp for the outline from wood, or even an ever changing one from a potato or something along those lines, since that is what I would do for a highly repetitious task like this one. I suppose if the entire object is to draw, then a stamp would be counterproductive.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• snowbear

• amberleadavis

• Tas

• Pira

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I had answered but I guess not.

As something for ink swatches (reference cards), the repetition would eventually drive me away from it so a linoleum block cut, or such of the outline would probably be my best bet. I'd use a brush or pen to color in the bottle and some assorted text on the card.

I might not go this way for the reference cards, but drawing and inking a dozen or so as a general art project is very tempting.

Way cute!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I thought I had answered but I guess not.

As something for ink swatches (reference cards), the repetition would eventually drive me away from it so a linoleum block cut, or such of the outline would probably be my best bet. I'd use a brush or pen to color in the bottle and some assorted text on the card.

I might not go this way for the reference cards, but drawing and inking a dozen or so as a general art project is very tempting.

Depending on how you wanted to proceed I'd recommend a water resistant ink for the block print.

Making the print prior to adding the ink swatch of colour is going to allow you to see where the bear is in order to apply the shade in question, but you run the risk of ink from the bear bleeding into the wet medium if it isn't permanent....which defeats the point of the colour swatch.

If you do the shirt / ink swatch first, there is the chance that it won't be aligned correctely ...but for some that doesn't matter and practice/experience would eventually make that a moot point. However, you WILL have bleeding as the wet ink on the stamp mixes with the color of the swatch.

Look forward to seeing whatever you come up with :)

Edited by Pira

I believe, under the circumstances, my first test would be Noodler's Polar Brown. I like mine.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

I was thinking of acrylic ink for the outlines, regardless if I sketch or block print - the paper will deteriorate before the ink washes away.

I think one of my first ones would be the Iroshizuku (purple) or momiji.

post-125734-0-33409800-1452365627_thumb.jpg

The most beautiful a man's hand can be is when holding a baby's hand, second is a violin bow.

This is my first attempt at shading with a nib, much more practice needed. I worked from a photo I took of my hand.

Edited by Inkfillet

Hope you don't mind a latecrasher..? Sorry for tardiness, here is my attempt at #1

You'll be relieved to hear that I am better at Excel than at drawing!

I can only hope my efforts will encourage others less talented to join in too ☺️post-124389-0-31238600-1452380308_thumb.jpg

P.S. This IS just for fun, right?

Edited by Moominyak

Beautiful, @Inkfillet.

@Moominyak - nice job. It's all in fun and whenever you post is fine - draw what you can or want. The whole idea is to use some inks and draw something.

My hand is done, but I have to take MLW to the minor care clinic after a nasty fall - I'll post it late tonight or tomorrow.

attachicon.gifviolin bow.jpg

The most beautiful a man's hand can be is when holding a baby's hand, second is a violin bow.

This is my first attempt at shading with a nib, much more practice needed. I worked from a photo I took of my hand.

Many likes!

23653352044_da56242b1e_c.jpg

Cross Adventura with (I think) Cross (Pelikan) black and a touch (the "C") of Noodler's Greun Cactus Eel in a Jinhao X750

Edited by snowbear

Moominyak, very welcome here . No latecrashers harmed in the making of art.

I'm with you on the xls. files, I just wish they'd quit changing it. I still haven't learned all this ribbon versions.

Week #9, my hand. I drew it yesterday but it had to dry overnight.

I chose to draw my relaxed fist, since I like the swirl to the black hole, plus there's no way on earth I was going to be able to draw my fingers properly. Hands are hard.

I kept this one clean (especially after the messiness of my last week's challenge attempt), so no shading, and I really like the result. The 404 nib allowed nice line variation. The iron gall ink is very wet but it dried nicely and I like the not-quite-black colour.

- Gillott 404 nib

- Blots Iron Gall ink

- Pencil, then ink, then careful erasering once it had dried overnight.

- The paper (Moleskine Pocket Sketchbook) is quite yellow so for once this scan isn't too far wrong.

post-54491-0-27554500-1452427807_thumb.jpg

Inkfillet ~ Fantastic! You utterly nailed that shading. :D I think the idea of taking a photo of your hand and then drawing from that is a good idea ~ especially when you have a particular composition and perspective in mind. Just love it...

Moominyak ~ we welcome all and encourage people to work at their own pace. The 'schedule' is just a set of collective goals and as snowbear pointed out, it's for fun and to encourage drawing with pens :) Therefore.... WELCOME to the club!!

Super drawing of a mug. Thank-you for jumping onboard and I look forward to future shares.

snowbear ~ I hope all is well at your end with MLW.

...you got your sketch up. Well done! Hands are so difficult to draw I wasn't certain if anyone would bother this week. I rather like the subject matter you chose to feature. Very appropriate ;)

milkb0at ~ LOL!!! I adore your reasoning behind the composition of your hand drawing :lol: The final outcome is a well executed drawing. Good on you for stepping up to this challenge. I can't imagine what evil mind came up with such a thing...

*** I am utterly up to my gills with projects on my desk :wacko: .....I keep moving my crumpled piece of paper model from point A to point B as I dig through the pile of To-Dos... and my model for the holiday food is long gone to someones stomach. My hand model is still attached ... but it's often busy rubbing a temple. I will keep cheering the lot of you on until I can join the frey once more. ...this week it's simple right...just a bit o' string

Edited by Pira

@Pira: MLW (whis means "My Lovely Wife" for those not knowing) is not too bad off. She is in pain but there is nothing broken. I'll drive her crazy waiting on her today and tomorrow that she'll beg me to go back to work No worries on not getting some of them posted, I'm sure you'll get back into it once he other stuff is done. I'm at the dining room table now, because the holidays took a toll on my desk - it has become a temporary staging area for stuff and the nipping (book) press is there awaiting scrubbing.

The string is done. I knocked out the lines at the clinic last night and did a quick wash this morning. I'll post it later, after I'm able to get to the scanner.

Great job @milkb0at - minimalist and clean. I have a problem with knowing when to stop, so I tend to overdo it - I applaud your control.

This week's is ready. I lost track of numbers so it's labeled wrong.

FPNWS #10

24295618445_34aaeb5ca0_c.jpg

Shaeffer Taranis with a blend of Shaeffer black and Irosh. Fuyu-syogun (I was in a hurry and didn't flush the pen);

Pilot MR/Metropolitan with Irosh. Syo-ro;

Washer wash.

I tried a wash of diluted Irosh. Tsukushi (brown) but the black just overpowered it.

Paper: Fabriano EcoQua.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum. This sketch was actually done within the past ten days but fits this weeks theme - somewhat. Definitely yarn, but on a knitting needle.

Rhodia tablet

Murano glass dipping pen

Monte Verde black ink

I'm hoping to add one or two more yarny sketches this week.

post-127191-0-35891600-1452615518_thumb.jpg