Bah! Missed A Gold Stub Nibbed 45!

sirgilbert357

Saw a 45 in Flighter trim with a gold (14k?) stub nib WITH Parker Penman Sapphire cartridge!! They wanted 55 bucks, which was a bit tough to swallow since I just bought two other 45's at the Dallas Pen Show, but now I'm kicking myself for not picking up this rather rare nib!!

If anyone here picked it up, PLEASE post a review when you get it, and you have my [good natured] envy...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• BCastle

• pajaro

• Captivelight

Hello,

Isnt that the ink you were looking for???

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello,

Isnt that the ink you were looking for???

Best regards.

Yes, but it was just one cartridge. The gold stub nib in the 45 is what was most noteworthy, as they are rather rare from what I understand. The cart was the icing on the cake. I would have been willing to pay the asking price had I not just bought TWO other 45's...

Actually, I was GOING to pay the asking price, but alas, it sold...I only waited because I messaged the seller to ask if they had more Penman carts (I was going to try to negotiate them into the sale, lol). Guess that cost me...

Edited by sirgilbert357

I picked up a "S" stub nib on a 45 off Ebay totally by accident a couple of months ago on a bog standard. The original advert made no mention of the nib size and the photos were very poor, but when I saw it I thought it might be a D med italic so decided to keep an eye on it and see what happened. A few minutes to go and no bids so I put the minimum bid in and got it... and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a Stub when it arrived a couple of days later.

However when I tried it I don't actually like it! It is very fussy when it comes to angle you write at, preferring a more vertical style then I write with!

I have Parker 45 with factory stub nib (not gold). I also find it sensitive to angle when writing, but it works well for me. At one time, I had a stable of 45s but sold all but this one.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Actually, I was GOING to pay the asking price, but alas, it sold...I only waited because I messaged the seller to ask if they had more Penman carts (I was going to try to negotiate them into the sale, lol). Guess that cost me...

Best of luck in your search for the ink.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I picked up a "S" stub nib on a 45 off Ebay totally by accident a couple of months ago on a bog standard. The original advert made no mention of the nib size and the photos were very poor, but when I saw it I thought it might be a D med italic so decided to keep an eye on it and see what happened. A few minutes to go and no bids so I put the minimum bid in and got it... and was pleasantly surprised to find it was a Stub when it arrived a couple of days later.

However when I tried it I don't actually like it! It is very fussy when it comes to angle you write at, preferring a more vertical style then I write with!

Hmmm, it sounds like you just need my address and then all will be right in BOTH of our worlds, LOL...

Edited by sirgilbert357

I have Parker 45 with factory stub nib (not gold). I also find it sensitive to angle when writing, but it works well for me. At one time, I had a stable of 45s but sold all but this one.

Oh wow, I didn't know they made them in steel too! That's interesting. Makes me wonder if the one I missed was gold plated or real gold. I asked the seller to check and they refused saying they didn't want to "damage the nib". Psh...

I was under the impression that a stub has a rounded edge that makes them not very sensitive to the angle at which you hold the pen. Italics with sharp edges are sensitive to the angle at which you hold the pen, cursive italics less so. Parker seems to tend to use the "S" designation for both stubs and italics. I have seen this with Sonnet. My "broad italic" Sonnet nib with "S" turned out to be a broad stub, rounded edges and little line variation.

If you are collecting these mainly just to have them or assembling a complete collection this ambiguity might be an issue.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I was under the impression that a stub has a rounded edge that makes them not very sensitive to the angle at which you hold the pen. Italics with sharp edges are sensitive to the angle at which you hold the pen, cursive italics less so. Parker seems to tend to use the "S" designation for both stubs and italics. I have seen this with Sonnet. My "broad italic" Sonnet nib with "S" turned out to be a broad stub, rounded edges and little line variation.

If you are collecting these mainly just to have them or assembling a complete collection this ambiguity might be an issue.

I can't say there is any method to my madness. I currently have three 45's; a Flighter with a very wet medium that writes like a broad, a Flighter with a normal medium and a red plastic with steel cap version that has a 14k gold fine nib.

I just loved the idea of having a gold stub nibbed 45 I guess. I really don't need all these variations of the same pen, so I'll probably end up consolidating eventually, but I'm going to write with all of them for quite awhile to decide which are my favorites.

Edited by sirgilbert357

I've

Saw a 45 in Flighter trim with a gold (14k?) stub nib WITH Parker Penman Sapphire cartridge!! They wanted 55 bucks, which was a bit tough to swallow since I just bought two other 45's at the Dallas Pen Show, but now I'm kicking myself for not picking up this rather rare nib!!

If anyone here picked it up, PLEASE post a review when you get it, and you have my [good natured] envy...

Was this on ebay? If so could you post the link? I've never seen this nib and it would be great to see the photos.

I can't say there is any method to my madness. I currently have three 45's; a Flighter with a very wet medium that writes like a broad, a Flighter with a normal medium and a red plastic with steel cap version that has a 14k gold fine nib.

I just loved the idea of having a gold stub nibbed 45 I guess. I really don't need all these variations of the same pen, so I'll probably end up consolidating eventually, but I'm going to write with all of them for quite awhile to decide which are my favorites.

Sometimes things are just nice to have, especially if they are unusual. I don't know why I keep my 51 plum set, or the 51 broad stub by Minuskin. I don't use them. Then again I have a worldwide postage stamp collection, and I sure don't use them much, or even open the albums any more.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I've

Was this on ebay? If so could you post the link? I've never seen this nib and it would be great to see the photos.

It was eBay, yes.

Item number 161835372205. That's the easiest way for me to post it at the moment...

Sometimes things are just nice to have, especially if they are unusual. I don't know why I keep my 51 plum set, or the 51 broad stub by Minuskin. I don't use them. Then again I have a worldwide postage stamp collection, and I sure don't use them much, or even open the albums any more.

I have a user mentality I guess. I have to get rid of stuff I don't use or it will bother me. Now, I still have my Sega Genesis from when I was a kid--even though I don't play it--but that's totally different, lol. I plan to break it out to show my kids when they are old enough; that will be fun!

Is this a stub? If yes, I have 13 such gold nibs on my 45s - mostly earlier Flighters with black plastic, chrome, gold barrel end caps.

Khan M. Ilyas

It was eBay, yes.

Item number 161835372205. That's the easiest way for me to post it at the moment...

Great, that works. Thanks

Is this a stub? If yes, I have 13 such gold nibs on my 45s - mostly earlier Flighters with black plastic, chrome, gold barrel end caps.

Hard to tell but looks like it could be a 'M' medium nib. The nib hoods (the collar around the nib when fitted to the pen) are stamped with a letter denoting the nib size: a stub, like the one in the link above, will have the letter 'S' (or 'W' which I think is a double broad stub) Edited by BCastle

My French 14K Gold Stub Nib (in the middle) compared with a D Med Italic and an E Broad Italic plus the nib on it's ownhttp://pencollect.co.uk/personal/22.jpg

Those D and E style nibs look delicious! I may have to start scouring eBay for those...

I have a user mentality I guess. I have to get rid of stuff I don't use or it will bother me. Now, I still have my Sega Genesis from when I was a kid--even though I don't play it--but that's totally different, lol. I plan to break it out to show my kids when they are old enough; that will be fun!

I have scores of fountain pens I don't use. They are kind of a pain to manage, but I am lazy and haven't gone to the trouble of taking pictures so I can sell them. I'll go through the pens sometimes and think "Gee it's great to have this Esterbrook Phaeton" or this or that pen. Some are just sentimental favorites, but there are over a hundred I should offload.

Given that there were a lot of 45s made, you will probably find interesting nibs come up for sale from time to time. I think stubs and italics were probably made in smaller quantities and so the search for them is likely to span a few years. The search, however, is likely to be interesting and might be more fun than actually having the nibs. I searched for a plum 51 for many years, being outbid many times before finally getting one. The quest was more fun.

My French 14K Gold Stub Nib (in the middle) compared with a D Med Italic and an E Broad Italic plus the nib on it's own

Great photos, thanks. I might just have to hunt down one of those 'S' Stubs!

Those D and E style nibs look delicious! I may have to start scouring eBay for those...

The Parker 45 14ct gold italics are great nibs with sharp variation. They came in steel too but they are not quite so much fun.

Here are two more for variety - 'C' fine italic and 'W' - I am not sure of the official designation of this nib but it is very broad (plenty of tipping material) with good variation so it is either a broad stub or a BB nib.

post-115996-0-45555100-1443561237.jpg

post-115996-0-43998600-1443561258.jpg

post-115996-0-88653600-1443561280.jpg

post-115996-0-87861200-1443561301.jpg