Faber Castell E-Motion In Pearwood Finish

subbu68

The story how I got it

Yesterday went to a huge book store Book World by Kinokuniya in Dubai Mall as my daughter wanted to visit to check out some of her stuff. 120km drive plus 40 minute metro ride and nearly 1km walk in a/c walkway from the metro to Dubai Mall. I was more than delighted to be greeted by a tall display case of Faber Castell pens in stationery section after that long journey. In Abu Dhabi where I live I have not been able to locate FC and email to local distributor remains unanswered.

The cabinet contained Ambitions, e-Motions and Ondoros and was well guarded with locks and one could only touch the pens not lift them and try or lift (read shoplift) them and fit in your pocket ;) . A lady was incharge of the section and she was slightly reluctant to show me the pens. All FPs with B nibs!! Another disappointment :angry: . Went around and found Loom and another model openly kept. Felt a couple of them in my hands and most had M nib. A few F nibbed were also there. Back to the lady and asked if she could swap the B nib of Ambition with a F nib from Loom as all had same nibs. She said no but for Lamy she could as she had loose nibs. She smiled and added “buy a Loom with F nib and change the nib of Ambition or other B nibbed ones.”. Finally got sold on that idea and got a couple of Looms in M and F nibs. Back to her and now she knew I was keen on FC FPs and she opened the display case for me. Tried Ondoro Black, Ondoro smoked oak, Ambition Pearwood and e-Motion Pearwood.

I was lured to Ondoro by the review by Sonik https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/296198-the-faber-castell-design-ondoro-orange-review/ but orange was a bit too flashy for me. So a black. The edges of the hexagonal barrel were making it a little difficult for me to handle this pen.

Next Pearwood Ambition - very nice looking pen and it reminded me of Lamy st in a different cloak!! Straight from top to bottom, light and sleek.

Then e-Motion. Very stylish pen and looks a serious pen but heavy. Even though I like light pens chose it over the rest.

Back home checked the prices online and the store charged nearly the same. So no regrets on pricing. Wouldn’t buy Lamy pens from UAE as prices are ‘spiked’ upto 30%.

This morning after regular morning chores and breakfast set out to try the new pen.

How it came

The pen came in an attractive dark brown plastic case that flips open. I can use this to carry around my daily pens. It can hold three pens.

21686814972_6eb2b87045_c.jpg

It flips open with the pen secure inside. There is a little manual that slides into the top portion of the lid.

21707495121_faf886edb8_c.jpg

The pen came with a FC converter and takes standard international cartridges.

How it Looks

It’s a normal sized pen with taper on both ends.

21706939931_48e821c923_c.jpg

The cap is shiny chrome, the pearwood barrel and the chrome finial at the bottom. The cap is screw-on type. The intends on the bottom end makes it more attractive.

Cap has a spring loaded clip and on it it is engraved GERMANY. There are some serrations at the end of the clip so it holds to your pocket with a firm grip. The FC logo and name is engraved on the cap. Looks elegant. There are some intends at the bottom end of the cap that makes it look classy. At the top is a finial with a concave surface.

21510901939_38c4145556_c.jpg

21671676696_a66f4c89dc_c.jpg

21077744583_f9b5451e94_c.jpg

Opening the pen, the section is again shiny chrome finished with a slight taper towards the nib. It opens in about 1.5 turns.

21510911179_73f3caa919_c.jpg

The pen came with a steel B nib that I swapped for F nib from Loom. checked online and spare section of e-Motion is much costly than Loom. So was a wise thing to do.

The nib is shiny with several dots on it. Are any of them open? I do not know. There is no breather hole but only a slit. FC logo and nib size on the nib elegantly engraved. the feed is plastic.

21510916949_83773643b1_c.jpg

21672906736_00995ac0f7_c.jpg

Overall I like the look with the wood grains standing out. The chrome cap and finial makes it attractive. The star attraction for me being the clip.

The pen barrel is not pure wood.The whole barrel has a metal insert in it as I can see it shine till the end.

The cap has a black plastic insert in it with the threads to screw on to the barrel.

How it weighs and how long and fat it is

It is a heavy pen. Capped it is a whopping 53gm and uncapped it is 31gm. The whole weight is the metal insert in the barrel and the finials.

The cap too is very heavy at 22gm. I weighed in the ‘use’ mode with converter fitted and ink filled.

The length is moderate compared to ASA I Can that is my longest pen.

It is 13.8cm end to end capped. 11.7cm uncapped and posted it is 14.8cm.

Barrel diameter at the insert is 14.4mm, diameter at the threads is 13.4mm and at the tip is 11.15mm.

How it writes

I swapped the B nib on the pen with F nib on the Loom. It’s a screw-on nib unit. I pulled out the nib and feed once. I found I must hold the nib and feed firmly and rotate the pen to remove the unit. Filled the pen with Pilot Blue ink (not Iroshizoku). This pen is pretty heavy and heaviest of my pens. the whole review was written with it as draft before typing it. Hold is comfortable at the threads - they are not sharp. Having started to like fatter pens I felt it good to hold.

With F nib the line is decently wet and like the fineness. Nib makes noise while writing but is smooth.

21512771059_e0f2429d3b_c.jpg

I like to use light pens. I found my Lamy Studio heavy for me and changed the section to plastic for that reason. I did not judge the weight of this pen properly at the store. For first two pages of my draft I did not post the cap. Writing just two sheets tired my hands.

Then I tried posting it. The cap posts but has to be pushed firmly in to prevent it from falling off. There is no click fit like Lamy. The pen felt more balanced now and could complete the draft of this review. It is not super comfortable for me and I may use for short sessions.

On hindsight I should have looked at Ondoro or Ambition. But again posted Ambition felt unbalanced.

This pen will remain with me the main reason being my first FC and the first wood grain pen. It is very elegant looking and any would look at it at least once if you have it out writing.

Thank you for reading my first lengthy review. Hope I did not bore you al with the first part.

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• subbu68

• rwilsonedn

• sannidh

• FPscribe

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good review. I happen to have the same pen with dark brown wood, and it's one of my favourites. I agree on the Ambition - it was too light in my hand as well as being too narrow for my grip, even when holding the barrel!

Edited by FPscribe

Thank you for an excellent review. Your story at the beginning was one of the best parts for me. But your detailed description of your impressions of the pen was excellent as well. As were your pictures.

In fact, since I admire this pen a great deal and do not need to buy an expensive pen right now, you description and your photography were MOST UNHELPFUL to my self-control. So ... uh ... ah, what the heck. Thanks for a great review!

ron

As ron has already said, the story is so compelling starting with the loom and nib exchange and finally getting the width you wanted :)

Thanks for reviewing this beautiful pen. I love all FCD designs.

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Thank you FPScribe, Ron and Sonik.

So Ron, when are you going to get one? :)

I forgot to add that the intends on the cap are for turning it with ease. Though the grip section is smooth it is not slippery to hold.

It's so difficult to get hold of the pen you want in the UAE.

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam