Esterbrook Cartridge Pens

FarmBoy

....what's the peril if you use them in a pen minus the spacer, they come loose?

I don't use the (fairly hard to find) plastic Esterbrook spacers, even when I have them. I've found that - as I'm basically a pencil guy - a short piece of rubber pencil eraser works just as well as the Esterbrook spacers. In fact, I can get the fit tight as I want (I think that's a beer hall song!) just by using an appropriate length of rubber eraser up behind the cartridge, in the barrel. That virtually assures me that no matter how often I reuse a cartridge, the cartridge will stay firmly in place and most likely not leak while in my pocket. Note this is the same method used by Esterbrook in some of the J series barrels, to fit the Jbar to the longer pen barrels. Of course, YMMV.

- - - Happy reusin', Jim

No need to drill a small hole in the eraser correct? Or do you drill a hole in the center of the eraser? I just realized after seeing this thread that my Esterbrook 101 lacks the spacers that surround the yellow nipple on the cart. Thank you kindly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smodak

• FarmBoy

• Brian Anderson

• sleek_lover

I will have to look but I recently found a unique spacer in one of my safari cartridge pens. It was black and looked like a golf tee to rest in the end of the barrel. I had it in my tray of pens to sell, but kept opening it up and seeing it thinking, "Yeah, I need to keep this one." I'll see if I can dig it out and post it here. I had never seen it before so thought it was interesting.

Off to do some home renovation (destruction) then will be back on FPN later. Love vacations!

Cheers!

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, finally got around to taking this picture. This is a spacer for a Safari pen when using the long cartridge. The cart goes to the left of this.

http://www.esterbrook.net/images/safaricartridgespacer.jpg

Cheers!

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.