Inky T O D - Going To A Conference, What Pens And Inks Do You Take?

amberleadavis

No, not the desert island ... a conference where lots of people could see, your pen and your ink.

What do you take and why?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• bongo47

• jmccarty3

• Runnin_Ute

The pen would be a TWSBI 580 with F nib because it can hold lots of ink.

The ink would be something pleasant to look at all days long that does not dry fast in the nib with the cap off. I have used Iroshizuku Ku Jaku. A blue ink would work, or Montblanc Midnight Blue.

I would take washable ink, because accidents happen when you're trying to write on your lap. Also take a ballpoint to give to those folks that say

"Can i just borrow your pen for a moment?"

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The only conference I've been to in years gives out (or gave out the last time I was there) spiral-bound books with essentially one page per speaker for notes, plus the schedule and a few extra pages in the back. I like having all the notes from each conference bound together, so I got in the habit of taking three pens:

1. a Japanese fine point with a basic dark blue ink for taking most of my notes; I tend to write small anyway, but I really need the tiny nib to squeeze all the notes from some speakers onto a single page

2. another EF nib with red ink for notes I think are super important, or things I need to work on stat when I get home

3. a third pen - usually with a slightly larger nib - with green ink for jotting down titles of books to add to my "to be read" list

My pen and ink collections are not large, so in the past, #1 and #2 have both been Preras, and the red ink has always been Diamine Amaranth. The "green" pen has usually been a Safari with Woodland Green. Not sure whether I'd make exactly the same choice of pens and green ink now that I've got a few more to choose from, but I'd stick with the basic nib and colour scheme. The colours make it very easy to skim through the book when I get home (or years later…) and find the book titles or action items.

Jenny

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

I first think of reliability. It's got to be a consistent writer and keeps your hands clean. And if your traveling you've got to be sure you're not going to lose it, and or not care too much if you do. My last conference I took my new Eco with Pricate Reserve Tanzanite. It behaved itself very nicely, though I had to do a bit of cleaning after the air travel.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

I just got a Pilot Custom 823, which I think would be great for meetings for two reasons:

1) Big ink capacity

2) Shut-off valve protects agains leaks when traveling

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I just got a Pilot Custom 823, which I think would be great for meetings for two reasons:

1) Big ink capacity

2) Shut-off valve protects agains leaks when traveling

I'm kind of thinking that may be my excuse for buying a TWSBI Vac now that I've tried the brand and like it.

Cartridge pens are made for conferences. You can just chuck a handful of cartridges into your travel bag. It doesn't matter one jot if you run out, you can refill any time, any place, very easily, with no spills.

My pens of choice would be my vintage Pilot Elite, guaranteed to fit into the smallest conference folder pen loop, and one of my Preras. Comfortable for long sessions, nice fine nibs, not too expensive to lose sleep over if lost or damaged, & great little pens for doodling during all those boring bits.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I think a slipcap or VP is ideal for conferences. Ideally two, with contrasting colors of ink. If I'm writing a lot, I would take a Franklin-Christoph Marietta, with a Vanishing Point for edits and quick notes. A Platinum 3776 would be a fontender, though it's flashier than I like.

I would want a polite, not too showy main color - Eau de Nil, maybe, or Tokiwa-matsu. Something not too bright. For a jotting color, I might be writing my name or email for people on bad paper, so it can't be red (cultural reasons), or too weird, but it also has to contrast with my main ink. And it has to contrast prettily, since my notes will be seen.

So actually, there's more restrictions on the jotters pen - it has to be ok in a fine nib, ok in a VP, well-behaved and not too flashy. And preferably a bit water/alcohol resistant. And neither can smell funny. (Sorry, Kung Te-Cheng.)

That means Air Corp, Tokiwa-matsu, or Eau de Nil in the jotter, and a contrasting color in the longer writing pen. Normally I pair Eau de Nil with a red-violet, like Amaranth, but for a conference I would want something a bit more conservative and neutral. L'Artisan Itzamna, maybe, or Akkerman #29.

If I had space for a third, I probably would go red, to complete the triad and give myself an ink with some punch. Diamine Matador for a grey-teal-red triad, or KWZI Violet 9, for teal or olive-brown-raspberry.

Edited by Davros

I attend a lot of conferences and just take whatever I'm using at the time.

Just make sure I've filled up - no cartridges. Recently I picked up a Visconti traveling inkwell, so I'll be taking that from now on.

The one thing I'm not sure of is how airline security will view the inkwell as part of my carry on clutter.

I am planning to attend a conference this weekend. I'll be taking my two staple pens loaded with their standard inks: purple Levenger Seas with Levenger Amethyst and black Connaisseur with Levenger Raven Black. Those are the pens that I use for regular writing. In addition, I will take a pencil case filled with my NoNonsense pens loaded with their current inks: Sheaffer Red, Sheaffer Blue,Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel, Montblanc Winterglow, Diamine Saddle Brown, Noodler's borealis Black, Levenger Amethyst (a different nib size and type than the one listed above), J Herbin Rose Cyclamen, J Herbin Vert Pre, Private Reserve Avacado, and Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris. These are for accent writing and doodling.

I'll also take my trusty 0.7mm Techniclick pencil and Click eraser and a basic set of colored pencils. And a purple Pilot G2. Just in case. :)

Just like in school.

• At least TWO (2) pens. So if one runs dry you can immediately switch to the second pen.
  • Relatively inexpensive pens, as a conference is a place where you could easily loose/damage the pen.
    • Baoer 388/801
    • Lamy Safari/Al Star/Vista
    • Pilot Metropolitan
    • TWSBI Eco
  • If you HAVE TO impress others, then you would have to go upscale in terms of the pen. But any of the above pens looks better than the cheap ball point pens that are included in many conference packets.
  • I would use a EF or F nib pen, so I could write more notes on the page and use less ink.
  • If you use bottle ink, refill the converter at the end of the day (if you are sober) or in the morning before you leave your room.
  • A washable medium to dark ink. Anticipating dropping the pen on your clothes, and wanting to get the ink blot out of your clothes.
  • I would also carry a gel or ball pen, for writing on stuff that a FP won't write on.
Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Actually I often don't use a FP at all when I travel, but I other than that Eco mentioned, I'm reminded by Davros that my Pilot VP has been the one. I keep it around all the time regardless, and it's loaded with a cartridge and a spare near by. It is important, at least in my field not to be too flashy, and it's subtle click draws much less attention than constantly pulling or twisting a cap.

Cartridge pens are made for conferences. You can just chuck a handful of cartridges into your travel bag. It doesn't matter one jot if you run out, you can refill any time, any place, very easily...

For me, it's a Waterman Expert with cart's. Usual precautions if traveling by air.

I took 2 Sheaffer legacy pens with b stub nibs because I wasn't writing in small spaces.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I took 2 Sheaffer legacy pens with b stub nibs because I wasn't writing in small spaces.

Neat! Were they touchdowns?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Last conference I went to was a very nice cancer conference at Ohio State. Pilot e95 in Pilot BB, Metro with Diamine Sherwood. I just wish the people next to me in the hotel had shut up- the drive home after 33 hours of no sleep was interesting to say the least.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

Last conference I went to was a very nice cancer conference at Ohio State. Pilot e95 in Pilot BB, Metro with Diamine Sherwood. I just wish the people next to me in the hotel had shut up- the drive home after 33 hours of no sleep was interesting to say the least.

Hey, my last conference was at THE Ohio State too. Different topic though.

A conference pen could take on several forms. If I wanted a reliable pen that is going to last the entire conference without fail and timeless style, then it's a Parker "51." I'd probably bring my Flighter for a bit more style. But I also think that a nice demonstrator with a visible nib would be nice touch, and a Platinum #3776 Century would be a great choice. And if I wanted a pen with enough flash and function with a great nib, I could also bring along my Parker 75.

For a conference ink, I'd have to use an ink that was "signature." A good blue to catch some attention like Kon Peki or even Asa Gao would be nice addition. If I really wanted to bring one of my IG inks to show off the changing colors, then I'd have to grab one of my KWZI inks and an Esterbrook J to go with it.

Buzz