What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Arcadian said:

Impulse pen acquisitions?  

Every single one of them, damn it! 

- P. 

🤣

Well, very happy I did NOT sign up for the pen purchase moratorium that was someone's New Years resolution on here.  

Went to an estate sale, but late in the morning and the thing in the photo which MIGHT have been a fountain pen was of course long gone.  But because it was a bright sunny day (albeit super cold out), I then went gallivanting.  And at one antiques shop around Finleyville, PA I spotted something in a case which (if I can believe what the box says, is a Salz Bros. Peter Pan Deluxe.  Interestingly, it has a ribbon attached to the ringtop, and the ribbon has a rectangular shaped bead which has multi-color 3D flowers similar to those on the cap (around the top, and where the cap band would be.  Saw a photo of a similar looking Peter Pan ringtop online, in an old GoPens auction photo from 2017: https://gopens.com/catalog-82-march-2017/ (lot # 57 -- mine has a black end on the barrel and black finial, and what look like painted black ovals below the cap top 3D flowers, and above the smaller cap band flowers; the dots/ovals seem to be in between where each flower touches the next one).  The front of the rectangular shaped bead on the chatelaine ribbon has a line of the dots lengthwise between the two 3D flowers (sort of forming the upper and lower arms of a cross shape, with the two flowers being the side arms). I'm now curious as to what the pen from the auction went for nearly 5 years ago -- and that one did NOT have the chatelaine or (AFAIK) the box, and does not appear to have the painted dots.

I thought the case was marked at $25 US (which I thought was good -- even before I realized that the chatelaine ribbon had the matching bead on it).  But in the process of getting the pen out the display case, the woman dropped/lost the price tag.  And the guy who was working there couldn't find it either.  So the woman asked him if he remembered what he had paid for it, and he thought it was $16.  So they sold it to me for $16 plus tax (which was a total price of just under $17).  

Obviously the pen will need a new sac and possibly some nib work, but I think I did really well on the price -- especially with the box and the chatelaine still attached to the ring on the cap finial.

No pix yet, sorry -- I went to several other places after that, and then had a bit of a drive home and needed to decompress (I got home about 20 of 4 after having left my house around a quarter to 11 in the morning).  And now it's too dark out to get good photos, and don't think the 3-way LED bulb in the floor lamp in the living room is bright enough at this point.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA:  Strangely, I have been in that same store several times over the past few years, and don't think I've ever seen a pen for sale in it.  Earlier I had been to one that I *hadn't* been in before, and passed on some 3rd tier pen (didn't recognize the brand) because I thought the guy wanted way too much for it, even with a 14K nib.  Glad now I did, because I paid a little over a THIRD of the price that guy was asking for the Peter Pan, which is MUCH prettier, and I think might have some flex to the nib as well.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 1/28/2022 at 2:56 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

I'm not doing very well on "no new pens in 2022" but what the hell

@Paul-in-SF, I convinced myself that pre-owned pens are not new pens. So, imho you're still doing well on your "no new pens" resolution. 

13 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

I convinced myself that pre-owned pens are not new pens. So, imho you're still doing well on your "no new pens" resolution. 

I agree with your logical conclusion. fpn_biggrin.png.92d8dffbbf13aad1c6ac27456ead1ea4.png

Add lightness and simplicate.

6 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

@Paul-in-SF, I convinced myself that pre-owned pens are not new pens. So, imho you're still doing well on your "no new pens" resolution. 

Tsk tsk. This sort of reasoning is why diets don't work.

(actually it's only one of the reasons, but a flat statement sounds better than a qualified one)

6 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

(actually it's only one of the reasons, but a flat statement sounds better than a qualified one)

Oh, I thought you said, "FAT" statement. My error.

On the other hand, I mix up dying to try it (new foods) and trying to diet.

As for not buying pens, it is my perspective that "buy one, sell/donate/give one" away may offer a better solution to, what for some is the ongoing accumulation of more pens.  It will also revitalize the NOS/used pen market and generate new $$ for other purchases. For me, there are many pens that I purchased (impulsively or not) which no longer interest me. These are the ones I had intended to sell at last years Commonwealth Pen Show which I was unable to attend due to a medical condition (a fractured and healing hip). I don't want to hold on to all of these pens so I will be selling some to friends for resale, and some here when the classified section is re-established. That goes the same for my over supply of paper, inks and other hobby related ephemera. Lot's of goodies will be sold and then I can start planning for the 2022 CPS here in Boston. YMMV.

Best to All🙏

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

38 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

There's a difference between new and additional.  That's my rationale and I'm sticking with it.  😁

Add lightness and simplicate.

7 hours ago, OldTravelingShoe said:
On 1/28/2022 at 3:56 AM, Paul-in-SF said:

I'm not doing very well on "no new pens in 2022" but what the hell

@Paul-in-SF, I convinced myself that pre-owned pens are not new pens. So, imho you're still doing well on your "no new pens" resolution

I’m subscribing to this perspective.

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

There's a difference between new and additional.  That's my rationale and I'm sticking with it.  😁

It is true.  It is logical, I can't but agree.

Hmmm.

Now to find a vintage Onoto de la Rue.

12 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I agree with your logical conclusion. fpn_biggrin.png.92d8dffbbf13aad1c6ac27456ead1ea4.png

Seconded.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Sunday evening, cup of cocoa, a bit of a scroll on fleabay... I'm now expecting a Coral TWSBI Eco with an EF nib to come and shake up my collection of tasteful blues, grey, whites and blacks. It's going to sit in the middle of the TWSBI drawer screaming 'look at me!' :blush:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Uh, today an M200 blue demonstrator with a Nagahara Concord nib. I can't wait to try it.  Thanks @speerbob.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

7 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Uh, today an M200 blue demonstrator with a Nagahara Concord nib.

:yikes: As in a Sailor specialty nib transplanted into a Pelikan M200, or as in a Pelikan nib that has been reshaped by Mr Yukio Nagahara?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

:yikes: As in a Sailor specialty nib transplanted into a Pelikan M200, or as in a Pelikan nib that has been reshaped by Mr Yukio Nagahara?

Looks like a Pelikan nib reshaped by Mr. Nagahara. I purchased it from @speerbob so perhaps he canweigh in.

Here's the description.

• Manufacture:  Pelikan
  • Model:  M200
  • Body & cap material:  Resin body and cap 
  • Body & cap finish:  Transparent blue body and cap
  • Trim: Gold
  • Nib material:  Gold plated
  • Nib size:  Genuine Nagahara concord nib - (This is a very special custom nib)
  • Filling system:  Piston filler
  • Condition:  This pen is near mint.  Likely inked to test the nib at some point but no sign it was used much.  Just a little of the lightest micro-scratches from being in a collection.  Exceptional pen with very special Nagahara custom concord nib.  If you're not familiar with this nib I recommend you Google "Nagahara concord nib" to learn more about it.  Amazing nib on beautiful pen!  No Box
  • Length 5" long capped
  • Made in:  Germany
  •  

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY