Noodler's Switch To Plastic Bottles

NewPenMan

Anything that gets Apache Sunset back in stock gets a thumbs up from me! It was sold out from the Goulet pen company well before my ink drop subscription arrived.

I agree that Noodler's bottles do stack next to each other nicely. They maximize the space well. My purchase doesn't hinge on the bottle though. The color and its performance are what matter most to me.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• tfwall

• Charles Rice

• mhosea

One question though....

Why does Noodler's sell ink by weight?

As far as I know, all liquids have be sold by volume. At least that's the case in Europe and I would guess also in the USA.

Also, all the other ink manufacturers sell ink by volume.

I don't by petrol or milk by the kilo (pound), why should I buy ink by the ounce? Floating ounces would have been fine though...

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

One question though....

Why does Noodler's sell ink by weight?

As far as I know, all liquids have be sold by volume. At least that's the case in Europe and I would guess also in the USA.

Also, all the other ink manufacturers sell ink by volume.

I don't by petrol or milk by the kilo (pound), why should I buy ink by the ounce? Floating ounces would have been fine though...

Ounce is a weight unit, and fluid ounce is a volume unit.

Americans, see how your imperial units are bewildering to the rest of the world? :D

Sorry, "fluid" not "floating"...

Still, liquid should be sold by volume, not weight.

YNWA - JFT97

Sorry, "fluid" not "floating"...

Weight is customary measure for trade within the USA of non-miscible mixtures of solids and liquids. Fluid volume is only required for liquids.

For those confused by US measure, you are buying 85 grams of ink. Actual volume in the bottle varies across the different ink families as a function of specific gravity.

It irks me how some brands think so little of the aesthetics of their product. Part of the joy of filling and enjoying quality ink is the decant.

Hope they're reading this.

It irks me how some brands think so little of the aesthetics of their product. Part of the joy of filling and enjoying quality ink is the decant.

Hope they're reading this.

Please feel free to decant into any vessel that brings you joy and improves your writing experience.

Weight is customary measure for trade within the USA of non-miscible mixtures of solids and liquids. Fluid volume is only required for liquids.

For those confused by US measure, you are buying 85 grams of ink. Actual volume in the bottle varies across the different ink families as a function of specific gravity.

To make it clearer, maybe both weight and volume could stated. That how they do with ketchup for example, at least on this side of the pond.

YNWA - JFT97

To make it clearer, maybe both weight and volume could stated. That how they do with ketchup for example, at least on this side of the pond.

First off, that is specifically prohibited in the USA. You can not label something in customary weight and then in European volume.

Second, as the smallest ink company with the largest number of inks, it is challenging logistically to determine the individual volumes per oz for every ink. Non-bulletproof standard line inks give around 84-87 mL in 3 oz. Specialty inks may give as few as 74-77 mL in 3 oz. The implementation of batch-to-batch security variation also impacts the density and hence the volume.

Finally, at one time export bottles did bear "mL" markings for the ease of foreign customers. Then legislators in Brussels began messing with shipments to EU distributors and all European system markings were struck from Noodler's Ink packaging in response. Now the bottles only reference US units, even down to the markings on the glass bottom.

Rest assured though, when you buy the 3 oz bottle, you are getting AT LEAST 85 grams. The weight assures you that the value is concentrated in the color, not in excess water. Feel free to dilute to whatever volume you need/want.

The Oz in Noodler's is volume. 16 oz to the pint - two pints to the quart - 4 quarts to the gallon. All are volume.

Edited by Charles Rice

The Oz in Noodler's is volume. 16 oz to the pint - two pints to the quart - 4 quarts to the gallon. All are volume.

Incorrect. It is the 16 oz to a pound unit.

Incorrect. It is the 16 oz to a pound unit.

Sorry, but you are confusing weight v. volume. "A pint's a pound the world around" A pint is 16 fluid oz and if distilled water will weigh one pound.

Volume - 16oz = 1 Pint

Weight - 16 oz = 1 pound

1 Pint of distilled water weighs 1 pound

Volume units pints to fluid ounces conversion factors are listed below. To find out how many ounces in pints, multiply by the right conversion factor or simply use the converter below.

1 Pint [Fluid, US] = 16 Ounces [Fluid, US]

1 Pint [uK] = 20 Ounces [Fluid, UK]

Edited by Charles Rice

Sorry, but you are confusing weight v. volume. "A pint's a pound the world around" A pint is 16 fluid oz and if distilled water will weigh one pound.

Volume - 16oz = 1 Pint

Weight - 16 oz = 1 pound

Correct.

Noodler's Ink is sold by weight not volume. As it is a value added product and definitely NOT distilled water, the actual fluid ounces you get per solid ounce is less than one. The specific gravity varies depending on the ink family under discussion.

Second, as the smallest ink company with the largest number of inks, it is challenging logistically to determine the individual volumes per oz for every ink. Non-bulletproof standard line inks give around 84-87 mL in 3 oz. Specialty inks may give as few as 74-77 mL in 3 oz. The implementation of batch-to-batch security variation also impacts the density and hence the volume.

Rest assured though, when you buy the 3 oz bottle, you are getting AT LEAST 85 grams. The weight assures you that the value is concentrated in the color, not in excess water. Feel free to dilute to whatever volume you need/want.

Edited by Chemyst

Correct.

Noodler's Ink is sold by weight not volume. As it is a value added product and definitely NOT distilled water, the actual fluid ounces you get per solid ounce is less than one. The specific gravity varies depending on the ink family under discussion.

What, did I say that Noodler's ink IS distilled water?

But I did not know that Nathan filled by weight. Most odd.

Edited by Charles Rice

What, did I say that Noodler's ink IS distilled water?

Your rhyming limerick only works for distilled water.

Without knowing the specific gravity, it is impossible to say how many fluid ounces weigh 3 oz.

Your rhyming limerick only works for distilled water.

I THOUGHT that's what I said!!!! "1 Pint of distilled water weighs 1 pound" You did read that, right?

PS - It's NOT a limerick

Why do all other ink manufacturers sell their inks by volume, but Noodler's can only sell by weight?

I can't get this into my head....

YNWA - JFT97

Why do all other ink manufacturers sell their inks by volume, but Noodler's can only sell by weight?

Yup, very strange. Just a thought, but maybe Nathan isn't sure of the difference himself (but I suppose that he is)

But the difference is very slight.

And note that he did sell his 16oz inks in pint bottles. Same with larger sizes.

Edited by Charles Rice

Noodler's Inks are non-miscible mixtures of solids and liquids.

Other inks are almost entirely water with a just a trace of dye to tint the water.

Edited by Chemyst

And note that he did sell his 16oz inks in pint bottles. Same with larger sizes.

Again by weight.

If you can find powder bottles that will accommodate the larger weights AND they are made in the USA AND they cost the same or less than these bottles, that would be of interest.

Common mold sizes made by multiple manufacturers ensure competition and offer the lowest price to the customer.

Edited by Chemyst