Noodler's Switch To Plastic Bottles

NewPenMan

Not if you properly recycle 'em.

Not everyone's an idjit, you know.

And many are. You just need to look around & see the reality of the lack of concern most people have for the environment.

Sadly, and there have been a multitude of studies and surveys of consumers that prove this, people are much more likely to just chuck away plastic containers than glass ones, even if they are suitable for recycling. They perceive empty plastic as rubbish, but empty glass as useful. One reason why so much plastic ends up in land fill, dumped, fly-tipped, and floating in the ocean, where it is broken up into minute pieces and ingested by pelagic inhabitants.

Just last week it was reported that a massive vortex of rubbish, mainly plastic, had been discovered in the middle of the Pacific, most of it believed to have been washed there from land, after being dumped or improperly chucked into landfill.

Verba volant, scripta manent

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• tfwall

• Charles Rice

• mhosea

Word. I was gonna say myself. .just recycle your waste correctly.

See my post in reply above.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Plastics have been gathering in these gryes for decades and is the fault of people not of the plastic itself. . I'm sure that's the point you're after.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

Plastics have been gathering in these gryes for decades and is the fault of people not of the plastic itself. . I'm sure that's the point you're after.

recycling is good

but the production of more and more plastic has toxic consequences at several stages of its existence

we should USE less of it, PRODUCE less of it, and RECYCLE more of it

I'm there, bro. .. never really liked the stuff but just try to get spoiled consumers away from plastic, and the companies who make it and those who benefit from it.

.. and that pen you're using. .. even if you hand it to your your great grandchild, toxics have already been unleashed into the environment. ..

Really a very important discussion for another forum, but I hardly think noodler's recent move will much affect the outcome. .

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

83 years worth??? If it were me, after the first decade of use, I'd get good and sick of whatever color I liked.

I write quite a bit more than that. I also like to be ready for emergencies. What if my favorite color was discontinued? Every time I think I have bought a year's supply of HP 32# paper, I end up going through it in a month or so. (If they discontinue that paper, I am going to be in big trouble. I use it for everything.)

I also think the large bottle of ink would look cool on display. I have a display cabinet for my pen collection and a few antique writing desks throughout the house with vintage ink wells on them. It would be fun to put a large ink bottle on display. Of course, it would probably have to stay in the cabinet until I used all the ink. No need for recycling or throwing it away. I would find a way to decorate with it.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

I write quite a bit more than that. I also like to be ready for emergencies. What if my favorite color was discontinued?

I also think the large bottle of ink would look cool on display. I have a display cabinet for my pen collection and a few antique writing desks throughout the house with vintage ink wells on them. It would be fun to put a large ink bottle on display. Of course, it would probably have to stay in the cabinet until I used all the ink. No need for recycling or throwing it away. I would find a way to decorate with it.

So would you get purple?

So would you get purple?

Yes! I would. But I don't know which purple. I really like Violet and Black Swan in Australian Roses. I also really like Purple Heart, but that is a Goulet Pens exclusive so I don't know if I would be able to get that in a large bottle.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

Yes! I would. But I don't know which purple.

Sounds like you'd be better served by a pint of each.

Yes! I would. But I don't know which purple. I really like Violet and Black Swan in Australian Roses. I also really like Purple Heart, but that is a Goulet Pens exclusive so I don't know if I would be able to get that in a large bottle.

North African Violets is a very nice professional looking dark purple. It does creep on the nib quite a bit though.

-k

And since we are threadjacking anyway : what do you do with so much loose leaf paper? Or do you bind them in notebooks?

North African Violets is a very nice professional looking dark purple. It does creep on the nib quite a bit though.

-k

And since we are threadjacking anyway : what do you do with so much loose leaf paper? Or do you bind them in notebooks?

I will have to try the North African Violets :)

And, yes, I make a lot of notebooks and my own planner. I also use it for handwriting practice for myself and my daughter, whom I homeschool. Anything I can print myself I print off onto this paper. It is rather expensive copy paper, but incredibly inexpensive stationery.

-Bill Waterson

what is the cause of that? I've seen it pen-specific, not so much ink-specific but I don't have close to the numbers of pens or inks others have.

is it something like capillary action, or something about a particular nib which the ink is drawn to?

what is the cause of that? I've seen it pen-specific, not so much ink-specific but I don't have close to the numbers of pens or inks others have.

is it something like capillary action, or something about a particular nib which the ink is drawn to?

There is a pen cause and there is an ink cause, so you have it right on the pen side. Scratches and other sorts of damage to the slit provide micro-channels for the ink to make it out of the slit and onto the surface via capillary action. With a given pen this might happen with any ink. The ink cause is that some of today's highly saturated inks would not flow well without the addition of copious amounts of a surfactant. It's kind of like drinking a double espresso after a half bottle of wine at lunch. That kind of ink finds a way to flow out on the nib, even when the pen isn't one to help it out.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

All Noodler's inks I have tried creep on the nib quite much.

BBK was creeping so much the point of the nib became all wet. Then I inked up the same pen with Sailor Yama-dori and no nib creep was to be seen.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• 4 weeks later...

I'd just as soon pay 50¢ more for the old glass ones.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

I will have to try the North African Violets :)

North African Violet is a nice purple, but I'm not sure I'd call it a business friendly color.

Keep in mind that the ink stains pens and converters. Use it only in black pens and keep a good "laxitive" ink on hand (Sailor Jentle Doyou) to clean out converters and demonstrator fountain pens.

I couldn't deal with the maintenance of it, so I got rid of it by adding it as a freebie with a Kingdom Note bottle I sold.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know where I can buy a 32 oz bottle of Noodler's ink? My regular supplier retailer said they cannot order one for me.

http://noodlersink.com/dealers/ < List of authorized dealers on this page. Or contact the distributor directly.

Nathan has stated publicly that he still has large bottles in stock.

✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." *Benjamin Franklin
"Half a truth is often a great lie." *Benjamin Franklin
"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it."
*William James

✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒

does anyone know where I can buy a 32 oz bottle of Noodler's ink? My regular supplier retailer said they cannot order one for me.

Other than an obligation to accept orders for new inks during their initial release period, retailers are free to offer as much or as little of the Noodler's line as they wish.

Should you find that your usual retailer isn't interested in selling you the inks you need, it may be time to find a new retailer who has your interests at heart. Thankfully, for now at least, there are a diverse range of authorized retailers to choose from.

I've watched Nathan's video and those new bottles look a lot like the bottles some of my pills come in. That white plastic is very robust. I would expect that plastic to be more resistant to breakage than the glass bottles.

I had wondered if the interchangeability of the old caps with the new bottles might mean that my pill bottle caps could work on a Noodler's bottle. Unfortunately, my first test says no. I'll have to root around for some of the other pill bottles and see if any of them fit. I have seen people lamenting here on FPN that they have cracked or broken a lid for a Noodler's ink bottle. Be nice if it were easy to have a replacement ready to hand in such a case.

Some of my pill bottles have recently been replaced with pill bottles of a sort of amber plastic. Thin stuff :sick: . Those lids certainly don't fit the Noodler's glass bottles.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I must say, when I saw that Noodlers bottles would switch to plastic, I immediately order a bottle of Burma Road Brown, as I had enjoyed the sample, and thankfully got it in a glass bottle. Last week, I ordered a bottle of Noodlers Black, and I knew that it would probably come in a plastic bottle.

It came yesterday, and yes, a white round plastic bottle with a black cap...very disappointing. The bottle did not fit in the square based Noodlers box well, and the plastic bottle is cheap looking. I have several Chesterfield inks in clear plastic nalgene bottles, and their quality is acceptable, especially for the low cost of the ink (rebranded Diamine to boot). I may not buy any more Noodlers ink until I can get it again in glass bottles.