Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Does anyone here know if I can pluck the nib of my Hero 616 or Hero 329 and put it in my Wing Sung 601? The 601's nib is so scratchy in comparison but the build quality feels a lot better. (And I hate aerometric converters).

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

329, 616, and Wing Sung ( whether vintage or 601 ) all use different form factor of a nib, they are not interchangeable. You can easily source any of the three though, they are typically refer to by the length of the nib ( though their diameter also differ ). The Wing Sung's are referred to as the 18.5, when the 616 is 19.5 and the 329 is 21.5 ( all of which refer to their length in mm )

329, 616, and Wing Sung ( whether vintage or 601 ) all use different form factor of a nib, they are not interchangeable. You can easily source any of the three though, they are typically refer to by the length of the nib ( though their diameter also differ ). The Wing Sung's are referred to as the 18.5, when the 616 is 19.5 and the 329 is 21.5 ( all of which refer to their length in mm )

Thank you, I had no idea about this. You're very helpful and informative as always!

I recently bought the exact same one on eBay with an EF nib. There is no brand or marking anywhere, but it's very smooth. I like it.

W4Bao7N.jpg

Does anybody know what's the brand of these cheap piston fillers?

The Aliexpress link is just for example, no affiliation with the store!

I've bought three of these from ebay a couple of months ago, and the nibs are better than the ones that come with Wing Sung 3008.

Is it this one? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transparent-Ink-Piston-Absorption-Fountain-Pen-Extra-Fine-EF-Nib-0-38-0-5mm-Gift/263428849963?hash=item3d5595412b:m:mbL5XGW3MnfNBCkxMDFnhYw

I can't give a name to search for because the vendors don't appear to be giving it one, just describing it as "Transparent Piston Fountain Pen" and that brings up a lot of different pens.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I recently bought the exact same one on eBay with an EF nib. There is no brand or marking anywhere, but it's very smooth. I like it.

W4Bao7N.jpg

The piston seal looks much better on this pen than on that of the so-called wingsung B698. Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Looks like it. I got the 0.38mm nib and it was stamped EF. It was so smooth even with the dry Pelican 4001 turquose in it.

The only thing I don't like is the clip is too hard that I had a hard time clipping on my shirt.

Is it this one? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transparent-Ink-Piston-Absorption-Fountain-Pen-Extra-Fine-EF-Nib-0-38-0-5mm-Gift/263428849963?hash=item3d5595412b:m:mbL5XGW3MnfNBCkxMDFnhYw

I can't give a name to search for because the vendors don't appear to be giving it one, just describing it as "Transparent Piston Fountain Pen" and that brings up a lot of different pens.

Edited by testrider

The photo was shoot for a friend but I figure I would share it ; I remember telling Ian and the gang about Triumph nibs on vintage Chinese fountain pens, and informing them that usually one would see the large and medium sized version of the nib, but also inform that there was a scarce small version ; my friend want a size comparison, so eventually I gather up all 3 and here's it , the photo show the three sized Triumph nib ( coincidentally none are Wing Sung but their size the same ). The large one is the one found in the like of Wing Sung 23X series, and the medium one on the Wing Sung 3XX / 84X series, and the small one is seldom used but here is one on the Gui-Guan 910

27350095448_29b9d49411_o.jpgChinese Triumph Nibs - size comparison by Mech for i, on Flickr

Mine are slightly different. They all have an inner insert in the cap, and the clip is like the Jinhao 599. Will post pictures.

attachicon.gif IMG_1452.JPG

Received the Wing sung B698 today. I don't feel like making an extra thread for it right now.

It's unenthusing, if that's a word to make up for it.

It honestly seems like a prototype. It is a lovely... idea of a pen, but I don't much like the back weight of it, the quality is definitely not comparable to 698 (like the 618 is), and it has that haphazard completion of design like that of a 3008, but a little worse. I'll ink it up maybe sometime in the future, but I'm content enough with the pens I'm using now.

Shipping of the B698 from Office_Supplies_Pens was very fast and well packaged. Nothing more you can do about the pen.

I do have a Wing Sung 618 on the way. I tried my friend's 618 and that is a well built pen. I also caved and ordered a PenBBS 308 and 309. They may not have the best clips, but even for just having as a desk pen, they would be nice to use since I do have extra Goulet and Knox nibs I can swap in.

I've always been on the look out for a descent affordable pen that can swap in a #6 nib ever since my success with the Jinhao x750-Jowo's I have, so the Penbbs's are intriguing, especially with the praise they have received.

Here's my unbranded Wingsung "B698":

fpn_1522830850__wingsung_b698_01.jpg

In these pics it's sporting a Lamy 1.1 stub nib. Flow was excellent and the nib actually wrote much better than with my Safari.

Although there weren't any alignment issues, the original EF nib is scratchy but wet; weird combination of characteristics.

fpn_1522830897__wingsung_b698_02.jpg

Long story short, don't buy this pen. Get a Wingsung 3008 or something else instead.

40538680364_5eb3b8ca20_k.jpg

Gui-Guan 81 by Mech for i, on Flickr

One of the Gui-Guan 8X series gold nibbed pen, Gui-Guan 81, got understated styling with a solid construction and a pretty straight forward C/C fill and a semi hooded nib, and though it look like the Parker 45 / Hero 800, its a totally different nib and feed. As for the nib its a true F in 14K gold; there were at least 7 or 8 different finishing and the one here is called the Nickel Brown. Nib write with cushioned feel and soft but not flex; but a it of line variation is there.

Edited by Mech-for-i

Here's my unbranded Wingsung "B698":

fpn_1522830850__wingsung_b698_01.jpg

In these pics it's sporting a Lamy 1.1 stub nib. Flow was excellent and the nib actually wrote much better than with my Safari.

Although there weren't any alignment issues, the original EF nib is scratchy but wet; weird combination of characteristics.

fpn_1522830897__wingsung_b698_02.jpg

Long story short, don't buy this pen. Get a Wingsung 3008 or something else instead.

I've purchased two of these pens at $1.60 USD each and found them to be excellent writers and well made. They're one of, if not the best, buys in the new round of piston-fillers from China.

I've purchased two of these pens at $1.60 USD each and found them to be excellent writers and well made. They're one of, if not the best, buys in the new round of piston-fillers from China.

That's good news. If you can get them for $1.60, then it's definitely worth it. Previously they were only available for $6+ on eBay.

I refilled mine yesterday and it does write well (after working a lot on the tines) and fills fully. However, the quality is notably lower than on pens like the 3008 or 698.

I wrote this yesterday as an update:

fpn_1523190241__wingsung_b698_03.jpg

Edited by TruthPil

The eBay price is now $1.79 USD. 'Not worth it?

As I said in the text above the image "Previously they were only available for $6+ on eBay."

I did the writing sample before I knew about the cheaper price, which is why I made the statement above.

After checking eBay to see the latest prices, I see that a 3008 is less than $1 more than this pen.

Although $1.79 might be worth it, it'd definitely be worth it to pay a few dimes more and get the 3008.

I hope someone has a chance to do a comparison of these two pens.

Edited by TruthPil

I would hope by now that everyone is aware of the fact that Ian The Jock passed away in January of this 2018 year, May he rest in peace. Ian was the most delightful of members always interested in seeing someones new pen and lusting after all of those he did not have,he was in my opinion a Master of the internet and a great Penpal of mine I introduced him to Jinhao and Baoer and because I have a very large collection of those which he fancied I had promised him that he could have them in due course,sadly now he wont. I miss him dearly for his comments on the FPN which were always to the point.I hope FPN keep on running his posts for some time just to show how good he was as a member of FPN, I had forgotten to say how good a writer he was as well,trust me oneill

Edited by oneill

Does anyone here know if I can pluck the nib of my Hero 616 or Hero 329 and put it in my Wing Sung 601? The 601's nib is so scratchy in comparison but the build quality feels a lot better. (And I hate aerometric converters).

It was said that 601's Earliest plan advised to use 21.5 Parker size nib but the boss chose the common size.

The 19.5mm nib ver.601 I do not know whether it would be manufactured.

I would hope by now that everyone is aware of the fact that Ian The Jock passed away in January of this 2018 year, May he rest in peace. Ian was the most delightful of members always interested in seeing someones new pen and lusting after all of those he did not have,he was in my opinion a Master of the internet and a great Penpal of mine I introduced him to Jinhao and Baoer and because I have a very large collection of those which he fancied I had promised him that he could have them in due course,sadly now he wont. I miss him dearly for his comments on the FPN which were always to the point.I hope FPN keep on running his posts for some time just to show how good he was as a member of FPN, I had forgotten to say how good a writer he was as well,trust me oneill

Oh, no!

This comes as a real shock. We'll miss him. :(

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Yes we all miss Ian , but that's why we should honor him by keeping this thread alive and continue sharing and showing off ; that's the spirit