Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Mech-for-i

That Yiren is seriously slim.

I have three pens with similar "slimness" that I bought a good while back, and I was surprised at just how slim they were.

You wouldn't have known from the photographs.

These pens however, are fitted with a slide converter, which works surprisingly well.

They were listed as "Shuli" pens, and have a model number 1028 on them, however, maybe one of our Chinese friends could better identify them from the Chinese characters printed on the pens.

They are by far the finest nibs I have, they are seriously fine, but write pretty smoothly for nibs so fine, and I assume that they are just all metal school pens.

fpn_1498075346__shlis.jpg

fpn_1498075903__shlis2.jpg

fpn_1498075975__shlis3.jpg

fpn_1498076003__shlis4.jpg

Cheers

Ian

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Hero 953 caught my eye too. Is anybody going to get one of these?

http://efball.com/images/pens/dragon.jpg

I think these would look great in a pen tumbler sitting on a sideboard watching the front door. Since my hallway's too cramped for even a mantelpiece-sized surface I'll probably be passing. The black one looks kind of cool against the background used in the photo.

I think these would look great in a pen tumbler sitting on a sideboard watching the front door. Since my hallway's too cramped for even a mantelpiece-sized surface I'll probably be passing. The black one looks kind of cool against the background used in the photo.

For some reason, which is unknown to me, I find these overly ornate pens quite captivating.

As of yet I haven't taken the plunge, but it's only a matter of time. :D

Ian

They were listed as "Shuli" pens, and have a model number 1028 on them, however, maybe one of our Chinese friends could better identify them from the Chinese characters printed on the pens.

The text just read " Shuli 1028 Medium Fine "

Edited by Mech-for-i

Thanks Mech-for-i

Have you heard of a pen company called Shuli, or is shuli just to signify that it's a school pen.

I am assuming that's what "shuli" means by it's similarity with words from other languages meaning school.

Ian

Shuli is a typical school / office supply brand that deal with mass market. The one thing here is that many non Chinese speaker cannot comprehend how the language structures. Say " Shuli " if literally by the word translate to Book and Profit , but of course this is totally wrong because the individual word can also mean other thing and if combined can mean yet another .. " Shuli " the phrase comprise of 2 individual word. " Shu " which literally mean a book, but in more literal ( as in literature ) term it also mean writing ( in an elegant manner ). " li " literally mean profit or sharpness ( as in a blade ) but here it was used as a short form of the phrase "li Ben " which mean " good for " or " Convenience "

So " Shuli " as a phrase means - goof for writing - or - suited / convenient for writing - I guess that fits the brand's image.

As for those slim pens I strongly suspect they likely come from the same manufacturing source but was OEM to the specific brand and likewise spec / made the way they were. Its rather common among Chinese pens market especially with these mass market ones. My Yiren also write a very fine line but even my S sized hand find it a bit challenging to hold and write comfortably for a long period. its still a fun pen to use and it certainly made for a good " clip to the journal carry along " type of pen.

Edited by Mech-for-i

Hahaha

Heavy pens I can cope with, it's the skittery wee flimsy numbers I can't go. ;)

Ian

Hero 1303. I had never heard of this pen before I randomly saw it on amazon while browsing fountain pens. I don't see them anywhere else at all!

Its a pretty nice little thing. Very skinny, almost the same dimensions at the Pilot Cavalier.

Fine nib, good flow very smooth.

The black paint is kinda not that well done, you can see an unpainted edge around the cap. And the logo is painted on in a stark white paint. As well as a barcode on the back side unfortunately... I think I may take the paint off at some point, not sure how though.

http://i.imgur.com/3OLoM3H.jpg

Hi Ian, at the age of 87 years and having been associated with JINHAO and Baoer For a great number of years, I am talking about when Jinhao used to sell their pens in boxes I have quite a collection of those in my personal collection,some I cant even tell you the names of as it is that long ago,to get to the point I am selling all of those If you are interested please let me know, Trust Me. oneill

Arrived today......A Red Picasso 699 in gorgeous red!

Ian, you are not fair! :unsure: I want that one as well. I took a look at a red Picasso just the other day, and now you've got one.

Ian, you are not fair! :unsure: I want that one as well. I took a look at a red Picasso just the other day, and now you've got one.

Ahh Helen, I have a real problem when it comes to walking away from red pens :)

Wow, Ian, that is one good-looking, red lipstick, traffic-stopping, fire-engine red pen!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Wow, Ian, that is one good-looking, red lipstick, traffic-stopping, fire-engine red pen!

Well there's an idea....thank you :)

Arrived today......A Red Picasso 699 in gorgeous red!

Aww! what did you have to go and do that for?

Yet another must have.

Like yourself I'm a sucker for red pens, and that one's a beaut.

The 999 is a cracking pen, and the nib is sublimely smooth.

I've almost used up all of my remaining Supershow electric blue in it, but I just love using it.

Congrats on yours, it's a "proper" red pen.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

Aww! what did you have to go and do that for?

Yet another must have.

Like yourself I'm a sucker for red pens, and that one's a beaut.

The 999 is a cracking pen, and the nib is sublimely smooth.

I've almost used up all of my remaining Supershow electric blue in it, but I just love using it.

Congrats on yours, it's a "proper" red pen.

Ian

Thanks mate.....although starting my passion in the Chinese collection is pretty much down to You, Bob and Helen :rolleyes:

Here is a Hero 266 flighter. I have filled it with Hero 232 Iron Gall Blue Black ink.

Glad to have you onboard and sharing your experience with the Hero 266. What other inks are you using apart from the Hero Iron Gall?

I'm getting worse. :D

I thought to myself "Hero flighter eh!, now there's something to explore."

And, I've ended up ordering a Hero 9315 in gunmetal and rose gold.

Not exactly a standard flighter type, but I couldn't resist.

Much like the big yiren I ordered a few weeks back, oh! And the ornate Jinhao dragon thing with the green Pearl from last week.

I really need to get a grip. 😆

I am currently using a Hero 329 fountain pen. I have been using Chinese fountain pens for quite sometime now. My favorite Chinese brand is WingSung, atleast in regards to their NOS models. Hero pens have proven to be dependable writers from my experience. Though their quality isn't the best in regards to their Parker 51 esque fountain pens, they get the job done.

Sincerely- Finepoin87

PEN:HERO 329

INK:PELIKAN BRILLIANT BLACK

NIB:MEDIUM FINE

CONSTRUCTION:PLASTIC/STAINLESS STEEL

post-137185-0-11171000-1499185200_thumb.jpg

post-137185-0-88169900-1499185351_thumb.jpg

In regards to Iron Gall, I have a rule where I will only put Iron Gall in a pen that costs no more than $1. So far the Hero 266 is the only fountain pen I have put Iron Gall in. Iron Gall works really great. It can be surprisingly cleaned out of a fountain pen with the use of Speedball pen cleaner that is. Iron Gall works great while I am at work using my Hero 266. Iron Gall is fast drying. Hero 232 Iron Gall rarely ever bleeds through the paper. It seems to last a long time in my Hero 266, probably due to the thickness of the ink. Sorry for the late reply.

Sincerely- Finepoint87

I currently own Pelikan Royal Blue, Pelikan Brilliant Black, J.Herbin Emerald Chivor Green, Montblanc Purple, Camlin Blue, Camlin Black, Higgins Carbon Black, & Hero 232 Blue Black Iron Gall ink.

Sorry for the late reply.

Sincerely- Finepoint87