Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Ian, if any Picasso pen has a Waterman feel to it, it's your 999.

You're right Bob.

It does have a Waterman-esque feel about it, it certainly feels as well made.

It has that quirkyness that Watermans have, without being overly so.

I also seem to have had a leaning toward broader cap bands recently, and the 999 reminds me of the wonderful Wyvern 303 that I regret passing on, which is probably why I was attracted to it.

Ian

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crocodile White/Silver - (Porsche-01) - M. Nib.

Inked with a mixed of R&K Alt-Goldgrun & Sheaffer Skrip Green

LENGTH: Capped - 5 1/2"

Uncapped - 4 1/2"

Posted - approx. 6 1/2"

WEIGHT: Cap - 20g

Barrel - 26g

NIB: #5. Was a bit scratchy. Required tine adjustment & 12000 micromesh. Is not friction

fit. Could not remove the nib for replacement. Writes more like a fine/med.

DESIGN: A very lovely silver design on the entire pen, apart from the section, and cap finial &

trim & barrel finial. The silver design gives the pen a unique look.

CAP: Clip has a stone in the tip. Attractive design on the clip. Will easily clip to your pocket.

INKING: Converter or international standard size ink cartridge

CONCLUSION: Surprisingly well balanced once capped. The uncapped pen is for a smaller hand. Does post snugly. I tried my best to remove the nib without success. I'm hoping there is a way to do this without damaging the pen. Like most of us I do not like too many turns to unscrew a pen cap, however, this one takes a good full five turns. It is a unique looking pen, and will probably not be for everyone. This is one pen I thought I would take a gamble on. Not totally happy, but not definitively unhappy. :unsure: Maybe I will feel better about it after using it for a few weeks.

fpn_1497051171__crocodilepenc.jpg

fpn_1497038405__crocodilepen.jpg

fpn_1497051337__crocodilepenfiligree.jpg

fpn_1497051384__crocodilepeninhand.jpg

You seem to have taken a bit of a shine to the odd white pen Helen :D

Maybe it's a phase. ;)

Ian

You seem to have taken a bit of a shine to the odd white pen Helen :D

Maybe it's a phase. ;)

Ian

Took a gamble on this one. It does have an interesting feminine look about it. Would be happier if I could exchange the nib. Let's trust this phase passes soon. Came across a Hero 953 that looks nice, though I realize I need to take a pen buying break. Maybe?? Any thoughts?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w~0AAOSwc-tY3oek/s-l1600.jpg

The Hero 953 caught my eye too. Is anybody going to get one of these?

http://efball.com/images/pens/dragon.jpg

Nope! Nope! Nope! But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :wacko:

Took a gamble on this one. It does have an interesting feminine look about it. Would be happier if I could exchange the nib. Let's trust this phase passes soon. Came across a Hero 953 that looks nice, though I realize I need to take a pen buying break. Maybe?? Any thoughts?

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w~0AAOSwc-tY3oek/s-l1600.jpg

Yes, I have looked at this Helen, it is nice.

It looks very much like The Parker IM Premium, but If I was looking to spend $30, which right now I'd consider to be pushing my luck :( I'd take a different route.

There are so many pens I want.

Right now I can't get my mind off this fellow...yet another Picasso, The 933 "Avignon" but they are soooo good.

fpn_1497273991__avignon.jpg

fpn_1497274051__avignon2.jpg

fpn_1497274082__avignon3.jpg

I'm not usually a big fan of the all metal types, but I really like this golden "guilloche" number, and have been eyeing it up for quite a wee while.

Ian

Ok, Hands up. I have looked at these more than once. :blush:

What puts me off is the red eyes on the snake atop the cap, but green eyes on the snakes on the rest of the pen.

HONESTLY???? that's all that puts you off, I hear you cry.

Well, I do have a hankering to own one of these really ornate Chinese pens, and I have been close to going for the Red, with silver dragon and pheonix pens, however, as Looks are important :lticaptd: I haven't bought one because I don't like the red and silver with gold trim.

It should be chrome trim to match the rest of the pen and the gold makes it look naff.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, as Helen said, but I want one not for it's beauty, but really, just because I want one.

Ian

Ian, I had not seen the 933 before. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention! :yikes: You've got me again Ian--now that one is a real looker!!!!

I know :D

The other 2 in the range are ok, but this one is a real attention grabber.

It only appears to be the 1 seller who has them, although, they have been there for a while.

I really like the guilloche pattern, and I'm sure this pen would look lovely in your hand Helen.

Be sure to Let us know how it is when you get it Helen. :D :D :D

Ian

What puts me off is the red eyes on the snake atop the cap, but green eyes on the snakes on the rest of the pen.

HONESTLY???? that's all that puts you off, I hear you cry.

Well, I do have a hankering to own one of these really ornate Chinese pens, and I have been close to going for the Red, with silver dragon and pheonix pens, however, as Looks are important :lticaptd: I haven't bought one because I don't like the red and silver with gold trim.

It should be chrome trim to match the rest of the pen and the gold makes it look naff.

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, as Helen said, but I want one not for it's beauty, but really, just because I want one.

Ian

Get the one on the very left. The gold and silver are Bling Level 11 whereas the other one is more nicely balanced.

Do it for Scotland!

Edited by Bluey

Wow, the lines on the Hero 953 are so elegant. Have not seen this one.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

This one arrived sooner than expected too.

This will put a smile on O'niells coupon. ;)

fpn_1497448011__abelone_shell.jpg

The pics aren't great.

I was trying to show the lovely colouring and pearlescence, but failed miserably.

And, I do apologise for the finger marks, although in my defence, I have been using it quite a bit. :D

fpn_1497448140__zabelone2.jpg

fpn_1497448170__zabelone3.jpg

Cheers

Ian

I looked... but did not dare buying.. I already have this one... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

JINHAO-GRAY-FOUNTAIN-font-b-PEN-b-font-B

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

The 650 looks considerably chunkier around the barrel Helen, and I do like the gold trim, and detailing on the clip.

Another one for the list methinks.

Ian

I just had a look, and the 650 is quite a bit bigger all round, and 20g heavier.

It's a must have now. :D

Ian

edited to fix my own mis-spelled name.

Stupid, tiny, phone keys. :D

Edited by Ian the Jock

No your eye not deceiving you, the pencil here is a standard hexagonal pencil, the Yiren 2037 had surpass others as my slimmest fountain pen in collection since I got it about 6 months ago and look like staying there for a while :

34567650753_92f63f3a31_h.jpgYiren-2037-A by Mech for i, on Flickr

Measurements

101mm uncapped

123.5mm capped

141.5mm posted

7.2mm girth ( pen had no taper )

and surprise surprise it actually fill by an internal push / pull non removable piston filling mechanism that hold a respectable normal amount of ink , barrel and cap is aluminium , nib is standard hooded nib with an integral ink collector ( finned ) feed , section is not one of my favorite, chromed and metal

34990795270_2478bf5e4a_h.jpgYiren-2037-B by Mech for i, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i

you need long nails on your pinkie to use one of these :)

No your eye not deceiving you, the pencil here is a standard hexagonal pencil, the Yiren 2037 had surpass others as my slimmest fountain pen in collection since I got it about 6 months ago and look like staying there for a while :

34567650753_92f63f3a31_h.jpgYiren-2037-A by Mech for i, on Flickr

Measurements

101mm uncapped

123.5mm capped

141.5mm posted

7.2mm girth ( pen had no taper )

and surprise surprise it actually fill by an internal push / pull non removable piston filling mechanism that hold a respectable normal amount of ink , barrel and cap is aluminium , nib is standard hooded nib with an integral ink collector ( finned ) feed , section is not one of my favorite, chromed and metal

34990795270_2478bf5e4a_h.jpgYiren-2037-B by Mech for i, on Flickr

hahaha

I had to do a double take on the picture....hahaha

amazingly slim !

The Jinhao 8802 and my Jinhao 650 are nice abalone pens!

fpn_1497464049__jinhao650.jpg

WOW Helen

Your photography is a great promotion for this pen !!