Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Duke 619 Noble Mentor - F/M Nib (more Med.) Chesterfield Antique Yankee. This nib will require a bit of 12000 micromesh. #5 nib, with Duke emblem etched on it. Screw cap - also screws onto the barrel top like a TWSBI. Interesting bit of fluorescence on the section (just a small bit). Actually feels good in my small hand, even posted. Fairly well balanced. Nice clip--will fit nicely into a pocket. Nice ink flow

fpn_1496170332__duke619pen.jpg

fpn_1496192817__duke619nib.jpg

fpn_1496170117__duke619section.jpg

fpn_1496169553__duke619_finialinsert.jpg

fpn_1496169332__duke619cap.jpg

fpn_1496169591__duke619sample.jpg

That's an impressive looking pen Helen, very purposeful.

I like the pearlescence in the section too.

Nice one.

Ian

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one will come as a bit of a surprise to those who know me, and my taste in pens. :lol:

fpn_1496412138__jinhao_159.jpg

fpn_1496412908__jinhao_159_1.jpg

I would probably not have bought one, but an ad popped into my inbox selling this red and chrome version for £3 and I just thought "ahh, go on then, it's only 3 quid".

Now there have been many, many, reviews and arguments over this pen, but I am genuinely surprised and impressed at how good it actually is.

I don't know what some people are looking for in a pen, but this one does everything it should do, and looks (and feels) pretty good while doing it.

I know many folks like to change the nibs, but I prefer not to, and with this chappie, there is no need, as it writes beautifully.

It didn't take long for me to be convinced by this pen, and I am really glad I got it.

It's still not my favourite design of pen, but I have genuinely taken a shine to it.

I call it "The Flumper" which was my sons word for elephant when he was small, and that makes me smile, as well as being a good name for it. (I'm not in the habit of giving my pen names, but the often written about bulk of this pen deserves it to have a big name)

I guess that means I'll be hankering after an MB 149 then?.............NOT :lol:

Again, there have been many, many pics of this pen, but I find this red, black and chrome quite fetching, so here are the obligatory pics.

fpn_1496412956__jinhao_159_2.jpg

fpn_1496412985__jinhao_159_3.jpg

fpn_1496413031__jinhao_159_4.jpg

Ok, so it was a pretty "played out" pen for a show and tell, but I am genuinely surprised at the quality of this pen, which just makes the old saying "don't knock it, 'til you've tried it" really ring true.

Unfortunately, too many people knock Chinese pens with absolutely no intention of trying them, and to be honest, They're the ones missing out.

Om Shanti

Ian

This one will come as a bit of a surprise to those who know me, and my taste in pens. :lol:

fpn_1496412138__jinhao_159.jpg

fpn_1496412908__jinhao_159_1.jpg

I would probably not have bought one, but an ad popped into my inbox selling this red and chrome version for £3 and I just thought "ahh, go on then, it's only 3 quid".

Now there have been many, many, reviews and arguments over this pen, but I am genuinely surprised and impressed at how good it actually is.

I don't know what some people are looking for in a pen, but this one does everything it should do, and looks (and feels) pretty good while doing it.

I know many folks like to change the nibs, but I prefer not to, and with this chappie, there is no need, as it writes beautifully.

It didn't take long for me to be convinced by this pen, and I am really glad I got it.

It's still not my favourite design of pen, but I have genuinely taken a shine to it.

I call it "The Flumper" which was my sons word for elephant when he was small, and that makes me smile, as well as being a good name for it. (I'm not in the habit of giving my pen names, but the often written about bulk of this pen deserves it to have a big name)

I guess that means I'll be hankering after an MB 149 then?.............NOT :lol:

Again, there have been many, many pics of this pen, but I find this red, black and chrome quite fetching, so here are the obligatory pics.

fpn_1496412985__jinhao_159_3.jpg

Ok, so it was a pretty "played out" pen for a show and tell, but I am genuinely surprised at the quality of this pen, which just makes the old saying "don't knock it, 'til you've tried it" really ring true.

Unfortunately, too many people knock Chinese pens with absolutely no intention of trying them, and to be honest, They're the ones missing out.

Om Shanti

Ian

Ian, another pretty one is the purple Jinhao 159. Of the ones I own, I am partial to that one (purple is my favorite color :rolleyes: )

fpn_1496420126__jinhao159purple.jpg

I am certainly with Helen on the preference for the purple colored Jinhao 159, but my favorite goes to the White and Chrome version

Edited by Mech-for-i

Ian, another pretty one is the purple Jinhao 159. Of the ones I own, I am partial to that one (purple is my favorite color :rolleyes: )

fpn_1496420126__jinhao159purple.jpg

Haha, I'm doing well buying the red one.

It's just a bit purply for me.

Ian

I am certainly with Helen on the preference for the purple colored Jinhao 159, but my favorite goes to the White and Chrome version

The white one is in my Ebay basket. The Picasso 917 Emotion of Rome is also in my Ebay basket. I believe that Ian owns the 917. It is a looker! However, after purchasing the Platinum 3776 (B. nib) the other day, I will have to skip any further purchases until July/August. :(

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SbIAAOSw9GhYbvaT/s-l1600.jpg

I'm exactly the same Helen :D

I bought the Picasso 999, then thought. Well it cost less than the Luxor would have cost, so I bought one of those Jinhao Abelone 8802s that Oniell raves about.

My thinking was, that with his past connections with Jinhao, he has more or less seen them all, and the Abelone is his favourite, so, I really should have one.

Well that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. :D

The truth is probably, that I just can't help myself.

Ian

Oh! And I meant to say...

The 517 is a stormer.

Quite an elegant, refined piece of kit, that has "something about it".

Om Shanti

Ian

agree

only think i didn't like about this is RED is very bright..

going to order the purple as I already have the black.

Ian, this is my first & only YT video, which I made for my brother. He has trouble inking his pens, with ink on his floor & curtains. Using his old insulin syringes, I thought this would help him (since he is a visual learner). It was too large to send by email, so I had to make this vid.

This is cool, Helen. A syringe works well for cartridge-converter pens ... you don't have to worry about the piston creating enough suction to pull up ink.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Excellent video Helen.

Everything explained simply yet beautifully. :thumbup:

I do use syringes for filling a few of my pens, both carts and converters.

Generally it's the pens that I don't fancy dooking up to their gunwhales in an ink bottle. :lol:

Ian

I'm doing this one sooner than expected. :)

Today, Ladies and Gentlechaps

THE PICASSO 999

Now before I start...I know some folks will be saying "Oh! Here he goes again, raving on about his Picassos",however, although I do love my Jinhaos, Huahongs, Heros, Kaigelus etc., and they all have their standouts, Picasso has very quickly become my favourite Chinese brand, with every pen I have received until now being excellent.

If this 999 was produced in say, France or Germany and I had paid £50-£60 for it, I would be delighted with it...genuinely.

I have paid a lot more for pens that are in my eyes and opinion, considerably inferior, and don't look anywhere near as good.

Anyway...

The Picasso 999

fpn_1496845047__picasso001.jpg

fpn_1496845092__picasso1.jpg

fpn_1496845130__picasso2.jpg

fpn_1496845173__picasso3.jpg

fpn_1496845201__picasso4.jpg

fpn_1496845264__picasso5.jpg

The photos do not do the pen justice at all, but they let you see the various bits and pieces that make up an excellent pen.

Oh! and the ink is Private Reserve DC Supershow Electric Blue, for those who like to know these things. ;)

Cheers

Ian

Now before I start...I know some folks will be saying "Oh! Here he goes again, raving on about his Picassos",

Rave on...

Looks good to me. Love that 2 tone nib. Somewhere I have a 917 and can attest to the quality and excellent value for money.

Thanks Bluey

It is a cracking pen, and even has a matching, higher class converter too.

The 917 is another cracking pen.

I'm luvvin the Picassos right now.

Ian

Crocodile White/Silver - (Porsche-01) - M. Nib.

Inked with a mixed of R&K Alt-Goldgrun & Sheaffer Skrip Green

LENGTH: Capped - 5 1/2"

Uncapped - 4 1/2"

Posted - approx. 6 1/2"

WEIGHT: Cap - 20g

Barrel - 26g

NIB: #5. Was a bit scratchy. Required tine adjustment & 12000 micromesh. Is not friction

fit. Could not remove the nib for replacement. Writes more like a fine/med.

DESIGN: A very lovely silver design on the entire pen, apart from the section, and cap finial &

trim & barrel finial. The silver design gives the pen a unique look.

CAP: Clip has a stone in the tip. Attractive design on the clip. Will easily clip to your pocket.

INKING: Converter or international standard size ink cartridge

CONCLUSION: Surprisingly well balanced once capped. The uncapped pen is for a smaller hand. Does post snugly. I tried my best to remove the nib without success. I'm hoping there is a way to do this without damaging the pen. Like most of us I do not like too many turns to unscrew a pen cap, however, this one takes a good full five turns. It is a unique looking pen, and will probably not be for everyone. This is one pen I thought I would take a gamble on. Not totally happy, but not definitively unhappy. :unsure: Maybe I will feel better about it after using it for a few weeks.

fpn_1497051171__crocodilepenc.jpg

fpn_1497038405__crocodilepen.jpg

fpn_1497051337__crocodilepenfiligree.jpg

fpn_1497051384__crocodilepeninhand.jpg

Ian, if any Picasso pen has a Waterman feel to it, it's your 999.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers