Chinese Pens Show And Tell.

Ian the Jock

Hero 1303.

... The black paint is kinda not that well done, you can see an unpainted edge around the cap. And the logo is painted on in a stark white paint. As well as a barcode on the back side unfortunately...

These are Hero's produced towards the stationary supply market, their fountain pen equivalent of say a Pilot Frixion or Mitsubishi Signo get pen; this kind of paintwork / logo / model name in-print on the barrel / cap is common on these stationary supply / student pens , almost every Mfr do that. Its just that typically we do not associate stationary supply with fountain pen but China is a different market and over there the curriculum ask for students to actually learn to write.

Personally I won't bother trying to get those paint off unless it can be done easily, better just to go and find a model that do not have these printed marks.

Edited by Mech-for-i

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• Mech-for-i

• Helen350

• truthpil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lanbitou 751, received this one in the week.very nice looking pen, bit of class about it. Nicely finished can't find any flaws in the finish. Plating is nice and uniform, we'll see how long it lasts. Size capped 13.5mm..14.5m posted and 12mm unposted. Nice weight to it and feels ok posted or unposted. The cutouts in the section fit my grip nicely for a change.

Has a fine nib slightly scratchy which I don't mind, not digging in to the paper.Convertor works well has a ball bearing in to break the tension fills easily without having to go back for a 2nd drink. Performs well enough no skipping and ink flows well, I'll probably get a decent amount of use from this one.

34868029645_4bfd596da3_z.jpg

34024933334_d00a5d85fe_z.jpg

Kev

Nice looking pen Kev.

I like the rings on the barrel, they give it a refined look.

Ian

Helen, I’ve done it again……

I fell at the final hurdle and didn’t buy the Luxor, but with good reason.

A couple of years back when I was near the beginning of this mad fountain pennery, I found a Picasso 999 for sale on the bay, however, I was at the stage when I was snapping up low cost Chinese pens, and there were so many to choose from I decided not to splash out the cash for the Picasso (standard Scottish frugality at its’ finest again) and carried on with my merry under $5 spending adventures.

Later on when I had moved up the leagues a bit, I went back for the Picasso, and yes, you’ve guessed it, It was nowhere to be found, as it had been discontinued.

I was gutted, as I really liked the pen, and it actually reminded me of another pen that I let go in the early days, a fully restored Wyvern 303, which I have regretted ever since, as it sold for £13 and I’ve never seen another anywhere near that price, in fact I’ve only rarely seen another.

Anyway,

I was sniffing about looking for the best deal on the black Peace Dove Luxor, and decided to have a look through the Picasso inventory of Epochmakingshop, who I think may be Mentag, and there it was, the Picasso 999, and the Luxor money was gone.

Oddly enough, this is the same vendor from whom I got my discontinued Jinhao 217, and another discontinued Hero.

I think that they possibly discover stuff in their store/warehouse/cupboards that had sold out previously and they stick them up for sale, making it a worthwhile exercise to check through their inventory every now and again.

You never know what might pop up.

Anyway, here’s the pen. (not my photos obviously, I’ll do some when it arrives)

Ian

fpn_1495976765__z999_1.jpg

fpn_1495976799__z999_2.jpg

fpn_1495976828__z999_3.jpg

fpn_1495976859__z999_4.jpg

A couple of years back when I was near the beginning of this mad fountain pennery, I found a Picasso 999 for sale on the bay, however, I was at the stage when I was snapping up low cost Chinese pens, and there were so many to choose from I decided not to splash out the cash for the Picasso (standard Scottish frugality at its’ finest again) and carried on with my merry under $5 spending adventures.

Later on when I had moved up the leagues a bit, I went back for the Picasso, and yes, you’ve guessed it, It was nowhere to be found, as it had been discontinued.

I was gutted, as I really liked the pen, and it actually reminded me of another pen that I let go in the early days, a fully restored Wyvern 303, which I have regretted ever since, as it sold for £13 and I’ve never seen another anywhere near that price, in fact I’ve only rarely seen another.

Anyway,

I was sniffing about looking for the best deal on the black Peace Dove Luxor, and decided to have a look through the Picasso inventory of Epochmakingshop, who I think may be Mentag, and there it was, the Picasso 999, and the Luxor money was gone.

Oddly enough, this is the same vendor from whom I got my discontinued Jinhao 217, and another discontinued Hero.

I think that they possibly discover stuff in their store/warehouse/cupboards that had sold out previously and they stick them up for sale, making it a worthwhile exercise to check through their inventory every now and again.

Ian

Ian, I can't say a word. :unsure: You and I are really caught up with these pen purchases. That is a nice looking Picasso, and if I had any money left I would get one, BUT I am in trouble. :blush: Take a look at the purchases I have made since arriving home last Tuesday: Esterbrook Nostalgia (Red); Jinhao 599--metal rose gold (to complete my set); Jinhao 992 blue demonstrator & white ($3.75 for the 2); Wing Sung 698 Black (will exchange nib for a med. italic); Crocodile (don't know why???). I think I've lost my 'FP mind', or can that happen?

! group_pens_0001.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gwEAAOSwIgNXn3d~/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/go0AAOSwls5Y8CR-/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sMkAAOSwlndZAdGb/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aiEAAOSwvihY93Fu/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zlkAAOSwXeJXckKz/s-l400.jpg

I must admit, I have calmed down quite a bit in the last year and a half, and have become a lot more choosy.

I don't seem to be buying pens "just because" any more, although I did give in and get a red and chrome J159 when I always said I wouldn't.

I am really impressed at how good they actually are, but I'm still curbing my spur of the moment purchases, and of course buying the seriously ugly Kaiduoli has helped in this, obviously. :D

I do need to get one of those Wing Sungs though. :D

Ian

Overall I have also become more choosey, however, the 992s are for giveaways. Now that Crocodile, I can't fathom why? Not when I want another Picasso, and a Bexley.

that crocodile looks nice.
I like the ball clip
and the intricate detailing.

Which model is that?

... I can't fathom why? Not when I want another Picasso, and a Bexley.

You know what, we all , at some time, ask this question .... lol ... I have a hard time explaining ( even to myself ) why I have at least eight Hero 856 and no less literally a dozen of the ( earlier ) variants ..... :bawl:

that crocodile looks nice.

I like the ball clip

and the intricate detailing.

Which model is that?

Does not have a model #. Called Crocodile White and Silver. I'm hoping this one will prove to be a nice surprise. One thing for sure, if necessary I will exchange the nib. Does not appear to have a masculine appeal. :mellow:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NVQAAOSwnNBXVNVk/s-l400.jpg

The Croc appeals to me anyway. I'll have to look into it. Not crazy about that crystal, but the silver detailing is nice.

Anyway,

Ian

Wow! Here is the one I ordered last week

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Picasso-picasso-memorial-gold-plated-pen-999-fountain-pen-red-ink-fountain-pen-FREE-shipping/1170040091.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.261.A83tfA&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10065_10151_10130_10068_10136_10137_10157_10060_10138_10131_10155_10062_10132_10156_10133_437_10154_5010020_10056_10055_10054_10059_303_100031_10099_10103_10102_10096_10147_10052_10053_10050_10107_10142_10051_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10110_519_10175_10111_10112_10113_10114_10182_5020020_10185_10078_10079_10073_10123_142,searchweb201603_1,ppcSwitch_5_ppcChannel&btsid=534e50c1-bf98-46d1-a253-9806971712c5&algo_expid=91ff3c1a-eed3-42b6-acbd-cc9f9f37783e-34&algo_pvid=91ff3c1a-eed3-42b6-acbd-cc9f9f37783e

It's showing as no longer available Ian, was it the 999?.

If so it would appear our timing was bang on as I don't think there are many left around.

Ian

Duke 619 Noble Mentor - F/M Nib (more Med.) Chesterfield Antique Yankee. This nib will require a bit of 12000 micromesh. #5 nib, with Duke emblem etched on it. Screw cap - also screws onto the barrel top like a TWSBI. Interesting bit of fluorescence pearlescence on the section (just a small bit). Actually feels good in my small hand, even posted. Fairly well balanced. Nice clip--will fit nicely into a pocket. Nice ink flow

fpn_1496170332__duke619pen.jpg

fpn_1496192817__duke619nib.jpg

fpn_1496170117__duke619section.jpg

fpn_1496169553__duke619_finialinsert.jpg

fpn_1496169332__duke619cap.jpg

fpn_1496169591__duke619sample.jpg

It's showing as no longer available Ian, was it the 999?.

If so it would appear our timing was bang on as I don't think there are many left around.

Ian

Maybe its a regional thing Ian because it still shows for me. And I am the only buyer according to their Aliexpress page, I will try to copy the link in a different way

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Picasso-picasso-memorial-gold-plated-pen-999-fountain-pen-red-ink-fountain-pen-FREE-shipping/1170040091.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000017.2.RbaBd1

Here is the copied description :

Picasso picasso memorial gold plated pen 999 fountain pen red ink fountain pen FREE shipping

I can not resist a Red pen. I will post the picture when it arrives.

Ian

Edited by ian1964

post-120079-0-78449800-1496188823_thumb.jpg

This is the picture from their web page Ian.

Edited by ian1964

Anyway,

Ian

Lovely looking nib.

Picasso 999.jpg

This is the picture from their web page Ian.

Wow

I never knew it came in red.

Like yourself, I am partial to a red pen, and this one will need to be added to the list. (sooner rather than later, in case disappears for good).

Thanks Ian.

Ian

Lovely looking nib.

It is.

They seem to have individual nibs to suit the theme of each of their pens, and they are all great looking.

Ian