Is My Waterman Flex Nib Sprung?

Silvire

Hey guys,

Had this Waterman 52 RRHR for a couple of months now.

It had two cracks in it when I bought it - I highlighted this to the seller and he sent it to Greg Minuskin to be repaired.

The cracks are now gone and I can see a slight bit of welding behind the nib.

This was all about 2 months ago.

Today I was using the pen when I noticed it looks like the nib is curving upwards.

Please take a look at the pictures below.

It looks like it's sprung!

It writes smoothly, flow is good, mild flexing is fine.

I'm not sure if I sprung it by applying too much pressure, or whether it's always been this way (by design originally)?

As the nib was with Greg Minuskin just 2 months ago, I assume that if the nib was sprung, he would have highlighted this to the seller.

I mean, if you're gonna weld some cracks on the nib, you'll probably highlight the fact that it's sprung (if it was) to the customer, right?

What do you guys think?

post-112183-0-31862100-1439390066_thumb.jpg

post-112183-0-22591100-1439390080_thumb.jpg

post-112183-0-56946400-1439390093_thumb.jpg

post-112183-0-47722500-1439390099_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Silvire

• mmg122

• discopig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apart from the upward sweep of the nib, it looks pretty good to me - tines close together, and in good contact with the feed all the way along its length. Usually on a 'sprung' nib the tines splay apart to the point where they can no longer sustain capillary flow.

Don't know whether this particular nib is *supposed* to swoop upward, but I understand there's a kind of nib called a "Waverley nib" that is designed pretty much like this. So it's possible that this *is* a design feature - or that Mr Minuskin has *deliberately* re-set the nib to this configuration. Either way, if it's working, I'm not sure I'd be too worried?

Ah yes, the Waverly nib done by Richard Binder, right?

Yeah, to be honest this nib performs perfectly, it just looks like that.

I have zero issues with flow, flex, smoothness, or anything else at all.

It writes absolutely well.

Yeah I normally wouldn't be worried, because given the number of vintage pens I've bought and sold over the years, I've seen a lot of weird nibs. The main reason why I asked is because I'm not 100% sure if it was this way when I got it. If it was, then it means I am the one causing it to bend upwards, and then, before long, it would REALLY be sprung.

Guess I'll just be more careful!

Ah yes, the Waverly nib done by Richard Binder, right?

I think that's right - I'm not sure, I've just heard of its existence as a 'style'.

If you're concerned, I supposed you could ask Mr Minuskin for clarification. Or you could just keep monitoring to see if the nib keeps bending further back...

Regardless, glad you're enjoying the feel of the nib!

I reckon your nib is fine, Silvire.

Those old Watermans are some of the best nibs ever, in my opinion! I have three vintage ones, myself, and love them all.

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

There is an article on the com, where someone has from Waterman in the '30's and they were talking about 3-4 X tine spread not the 6-7X that many think it has to spread all the time. They were more interested in ease of flex instead of max width of flex.

Richard Binder on his com, has a great write up on how to spring your nib....and why. It is a 100% needed to be read.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Apart from the upward sweep of the nib, it looks pretty good to me - tines close together, and in good contact with the feed all the way along its length. Usually on a 'sprung' nib the tines splay apart to the point where they can no longer sustain capillary flow.

Don't know whether this particular nib is *supposed* to swoop upward, but I understand there's a kind of nib called a "Waverley nib" that is designed pretty much like this. So it's possible that this *is* a design feature - or that Mr Minuskin has *deliberately* re-set the nib to this configuration. Either way, if it's working, I'm not sure I'd be too worried?

Just to add to your post: I have quite a few Waterman pens with nibs that have that upward sweep to the nib, and they are definitely not sprung. I have used a few of them plenty and it never worsened or changed much at all.

Edited by discopig

I also don't think your nib is sprung. There appears to be perfect application of nib to feed along the entire length. Enjoy!

I think the Waverly nib is the style that Sheaffer used many years ago on some of their nibs.

The tip of the nib bends upward in a curve. This lets a high angle writer have the tip of the nib hit the paper like a lower angle writer.

In your case the nib appears to bend upward, then flattens out. That pattern to me looks like the nib was like that.

If it writes fine, don't worry about it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Interesting.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

A bit off topic, but I really like that nib style, are there any modern pens that use it? I dont care about flex, but it looks like the pen sits at a different angle, and I kinda want to try it.

If, after everything that has been said above, you still have a question the (imo) Just get in contact with Greg, send him the pictures and ask him directly.

The simplest, quickest and easiest way to go.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

That's a beauty...if it were sprung you'd see a crease across the tine. Light a candle in thanksgiving.