Writing Instruments for Crossword Puzzles?

Tritium

QUOTE (SMG @ Apr 8 2007, 09:21 PM)
Pelikan M800 Bold nib with Noodlers Luxury Blue.

Surely the idea is to write letters that form words, not just colour in the squares? biggrin.gif

Col

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tritium

• Zenki

• markofp

• inkstainedruth

Hi, I think that for Crossword the most suitable pen is the Fisher space pen since it can write vertically without losing the flow.

Forgive me for spelling errors. My Hebrew is better (;

FPs. I prefer the thickness of my Lamy Studio, besides which the brushed steel gives my fingers something to do while I'm thinking of an answer. However, my Sonnet is loaded with Pelikan violet right now, and I think it's great for Sudoku. Very distinct from the black print ink of the original numbers.

There is a day

when the road neither

comes nor goes, and the way

is not a way but a place.

-Wendell Berry

The Times Crossword and Irish Times ("Crosaire") = GF Parker 61, fine nib, Watermans Fl Blue/Purple - 50/50 mix.

Sudoku = black Stipula Etruria, EF (actually wider than the 61 fine), Watermans Black.

If the Sudoku is serious I use the back of the 61 nib to put in candidates.

I don't fill in answers until I have several interlocking clues sorted out, so no mess smile.gif

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

QUOTE (jja @ Apr 10 2007, 08:51 PM)
Hi Tritium, glad you found a pencil that works for your needs. Are you the same Tritium as over on RFF?

Thanks.

I am on several boards as Tritium, but I don't know what RFF is so probably not.

blink.gif

I carry my Phileas fine blue demonstrator with Noodlers Black exclusively for use on crossword puzzles and suduko. I don't have the luxury of radio, television, or even a computer at work, and often work multiple 16-hour shifts, so my only mental diversions are my puzzles. Using ink makes it a challenge, using a fine nib allows for notes in the margins before I commit.

Allen

I've never used pencil for (crossword) puzzles except a certain type of difficult logic puzzle. Since one mistake will ruin the puzzle.

I mostly use a Parker Jotter Gel for puzzles. The paper of most puzzle books simply bleeds too much. If I don't have my Jotter handy I use whatever lies around.

This has been a really helpful thread. Thanks. I have scored the pencil that I am going to use for the more difficult puzzles, but will probably try a FP for the puzzles from earlier in the week. Fortunately, I will be visiting Fahrney's later today. I may pick something up.

Well, I stopped by Farhney's yesterday to look at FPs. And while I got a chance to take a number of pens out for a spin, their selection in the models I was interested in was limited. Consequently, no FP purchase. However, I did pick up a nice mechanical pencil. 1.4 mm lead Faber-Castell resin e-motion. Nice hand feel and with the wide lead is very smooth. I will have to see how well it works filling in the little boxes of crossword puzzles, but for other pencil use, it is a nice piece. biggrin.gif

Edited by Tritium

Am I the only one here who has mechanical pencils in all of the standard engineering drawing sizes? I.e. what used to be 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9 mm sizes? I studied engineering some time back (though I've moved to other pastures since) and at that time (early '90s) drawing by hand was still taught.

I gather the sizes are now renamed to 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1.0 mm, in line with the standard pen widths, but I haven't got used to that, and I'll probably never need to. I guess I'll also never need to remember the differences in hardness for each grade of lead between Faber-Castell and Staedtler (FYI, IIRC Faber-Castell were/are harder for each grade).

Anyway, the older Staedtler mechanical pencils (slim, with the metal grip - I don't have an image handy, but there must be one somewhere) are beautiful and functional, and I would be sorry to lose them. And of course (getting back to the point) I never have to worry about shonky paper when using them.

[edit] Sorry, I seem to have hijacked this thread with a wholly off-topic digression... blush.gif

Edited by Mudge

Lately i've been thinking I ought to just bypass the whole pencil/pen issue completely and simply approach the crossword with only a big, fat, pink eraser. wallbash.gif

i must get more sleep...i must get more sleep...i must get more sleep... ...

Elizabeth

Spring and love arrived on a bird's sweet song. "How does that little box sound like birds and laughter?" I asked the gypsy violinist. He leaned back, pointing to his violin. "Look inside, you'll see the birdies sing to me" soft laughter in his voice. "I hear them, I can almost see them!", I shouted as his bow danced on the strings. "Ah yes" he said, "your heart is a violin." Shony Alex Braun

As it began for Shony, it began for me. My heart -- My violin

Well, I did my first NYT Sunday puzzle with the Retro 51 and really liked it. It is silky on the higher quality paper than the daily puzzle.

Next week, I will try the FC e-motion.

• 14 years later...

I use a Parker 45 or my Chinese copy of a Parker 51.  I have to remember not to rest the pen on the paper while cross checking the answers. I stopped using pencil because pencil isn’t dark enough. I am not a perfectionist and will overwrite wrong answers, and capitulate after the second wrong answer. 

I do a LOT of puzzles*, crossword and acrostic. I buy them in books, because I do way more than one a day; also the paper tends to be much better than newsprint but not glossy like a Sunday magazine.

I also like my puzzles to look fairly neat when I am done, so I use a Pilot Frixion erasable gel ink pen, in either 0.5 or 0.4 point, and blue ink. I have also used red ink in the past, but I have settled on blue, it's easier to find refills. The erasers last forever, through several dozen refills, so it is a very cheap way to go. 

My problem with pencils is the lack of contrast of lead compared with ink. I guess I would want a soft pencil and a big eraser, but the pen is more compact and less trouble for me. 

*story: my Japanese husband likes to watch Japanese TV; I stay in the room for companionship but I don't understand enough (or I am not interested enough, depending on the program) to try to follow the TV, so I do puzzles. 

Only a 0.7 mm 2B lead in a drafting lead holder will do.

Dark enough to read, soft enough to erase easily and smooth enough for all types of paper (except glossy).

I always use a fountain pen, mostly try to us a fine point for newspaper crosswords and Sudoku. I do have a rule that every new fountain pen is not officially in my stable of pens until it has written in my journal and done a crossword.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!