Writing Instruments for Crossword Puzzles?

Tritium

I did some searching through the archives, but I didn't find a thread dedicated to this question. For those that enjoy crossword puzzles, what writing instrument(s) do you use? FPs, ballpoints, pencils? And if pens, what inks? Please take into account the different paper associated with weekday puzzles and Sunday puzzles like the NYT. Also, do you print the crosswords from the daily puzzles to allow you to control paper choice?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Greg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tritium

• Zenki

• markofp

• inkstainedruth

I enjoy doing puzzles. Crossword, and recently, Sudoku. There is nothing better than a Pencil, with a nice eraser. I use a Dr Grip. I think they run about $5, they are refillable, and have a nice BIG eraser.

For work I use a Cross Century II Pencil, and I like it, but for puzzles the eraser is a bit too small, and covered under a cap.

Bob

I do the daily crossword with one of my fine-point FPs loaded with a bright color (orange, red, green, etc.) Doing it in pencil is cheating! tongue.gif

Cheers.

I use lots of different FPs and inks; lately I've been using a fine point Parker Vector with Diamine Sapphire Blue. Most of the newspapers I have access to don't stand up to erasure very well (or I don't have a light enough touch).

A Waterman Harmonie F works great on newsprint for me. If that's not around, I use a rollerball with F refill.

Autopoint Sudoku Pencil. 0.9mm lead, B hardness, huge eraser. Has a special mechanism in it that lets you use the lead down to the last little nubbin. Comes with a dozen spare leads and three spare erasers.

(Picture borrowed from PencilThings.com)

http://www.pencilthings.com/catalog/CIMG0261.JPG

Sometimes I use my Namiki Falcon, loaded with Noodler's Black.

Pelikan M800 Bold nib with Noodlers Luxury Blue. You make a mistake, it stays there. The pressure is incredible. huh.gif tongue.gif

Cheers,

SG

PenRx is no longer in business.

QUOTE (BillTheEditor @ Apr 8 2007, 11:35 AM)
Autopoint Sudoku Pencil. 0.9mm lead, B hardness, huge eraser. Has a special mechanism in it that lets you use the lead down to the last little nubbin. Comes with a dozen spare leads and three spare erasers.

(Picture borrowed from PencilThings.com)

http://www.pencilthings.com/catalog/CIMG0261.JPG

Sometimes I use my Namiki Falcon, loaded with Noodler's Black.

I like that one. The larger barrel will be a nice change from the Pentels I've been using. Besides with a pencil that looks that distinctive, no one will dare walk off with it. wink.gif

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

A Parker "51" pencil. The .9mm lead does not pierce the paper as easily as thinner leads do, and this is the only occasion I have, really, to use my mechanical pencil.

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

For crosswords or sudoku in a café - Pelikan m215 F or Parker 45 EF in either Pelikan Royal Blue or quink Blue Black; at home - M805 F with Pel Royal Blue. I love using ink. Generally ok on sudoku, occasionally hazardous with crosswords.

rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

DavidM1

At work I photocopy the crosswords in the paper (we get two) and the Crypto-quip -- there are several people who like to work them and we only get one paper and share. I use whatever FP I have with me to work them.

At home on the Suday puzzle I usually use pencil, it's more difficult and I make more mistakes.

Peter

Retro 51 is making the OFFICIAL 2007 Crossword Tournement Pencil...But I have only time to do on-line crosswords.

Bill

FPs. I used ballpoints for something like 10 years, before coming over to the Smudgy Side! All hail the mighty Parker, inker of soles! And palms. And shirts. And... biggrin.gif

Freelance Word Pusher, Societal Leech and Genial Bon Vivant

I make lots of alterations with my sudoku and kakuro so I like a not-too-hard propelling pencil with eraser. Papermate are my favourite.

Sometimes you get one free with the puzzle books, and it is totally unsuitable for the paper. What's that all about? headsmack.gif

I'd like to maybe use a vintage pencil (I have one that came in a set with with my Sheaffer Sentinel) but I NEED it to have an eraser. Maybe I'll see what's out there, but please please please don't let me start collecting something ELSE!

We can sail safely inside the harbour but that is not what ships were built for - anon

Thanks for all of the responses. I typically do the NYT puzzle. Ink would be fine for me M, T and W, but the other four days require pencil.

Here is the link to the Retro 51 limited edition that Bill mentioned. Might be fun to give it a try.

Retro 51

I use a Sheaffer Javelin with a F (actually more EF) nib and Pelikan Violet ink.

regards

FGA

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all...

I ordered the Retro 51 limited edition Crossword Pencil from FPH. Hope to have it soon. I will let you know how I like it once I get it.

The big eraser will come in handy. tongue.gif

I received the Retro 51 Crossword pencil from FPH today and immediately swung into action. Heavy pencil with a nice thickness, great eraser ( a must for me) and the .9mm lead stands up to my heavy touch. Highly recommended.

Hi Tritium, glad you found a pencil that works for your needs. Are you the same Tritium as over on RFF?

Anyway, I also enjoy doing crosswords, and I would encourage you to try a pen sometime (fp or otherwise). I find that using a pen helps the letters stand out more prominently, and because doing a crossword is as much a visual as a mental activity, you can better see word possibities. Also, by encouraging you to only write in answers for which you are very sure, you avoid the blind alleys of visualizing answers that could not possibly be right, given that what you have written down is wrong to begin with. Try it and see if it works for you.