Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

Mine arrived this morning.

My first Montblanc, so I didn't know what to expect and hadn't tried it in a store.

Box was standard, although black booklet was outside the pen box in the cream cardboard box, since there's nothing in the pen box itself except for the pen and note about magnets. Thought this was a bit surprising. Spent a minute trying to pull out the box cushion insert to check for stuff underneath until I realised there isn't anything.

Inside the pen was the empty demonstrator cartridge and also another black cartridge, end-to-end. The fact it can fit two standard short cartridges gives me hope that it actually is more versatile than people might have me believe here.

I tried a Caran d'Ache converter on hand, but it didn't seem to want to 'click in' - it looked like it should fit lengthwise though, just too wide to get into the cartridge opening?

Magnet was hard to notice on the cap, but strong enough on the uncapped pen for me to thing it might stick to the fridge if I took my hand away... It didn't and fell on the floor, but no harm done. With cap on, the magnetism isn't really noticeable at all - you'd have to hold it touching a fridge, for instance, and then notice 'Oh - there's a magnet!'. I would have more qualms about sticking it in a pocket with a wallet in terms of scratches than anything about wiping data (I think the chips, rather than magnetic strips, on 99% of cards here aren't really as susceptible anyhow).

Don't have a magnifying glass to hand, but there's something like a 9 digit number etched on one bit of the clip. Since we're talking about 9 characters less than a mm tall, I assume it's a serial number.

I'm not really cut out to review fountain pens, but three things I notice:

[1] metal ribbing just at the grip up from the nib looks like it could be a bit uncomfortably depending on pen hold after a while.

[2] writing feels a bit rougher for now than the Caran d'Aches I'm used to, but not as bad as a Faber-Castell Ondoro I had with nib problems. Am yet to work out if I'm just not used to it and will adapt or want to gently play with the nib.

[3] The pen is beautiful.

Edited by Maxim

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To try to be as clear as possible, I took a picture.

Cartridge configuration on the left fits. This means that there is room down into the flattened end section for things. In fact, only about an eighth of the pen's girth is cutaway by it.

Caran d'Ache (or Faber-Castell of the same dimensions) converter as displayed doesn't fit. It isn't too long, but won't attach at the top: it needs to be able to move towards the nib another 5mm or so, but doesn't seem to fit.

Looking at the Waterman, it strikes me that it might have the same problem.

Thinking even further, the Montblanc cartridges pictured have a longer 'thin' section up at the top than the converters pictured, but also when compared to international standard cartridges...

Visconti standard cartridges don't fit. Caran d'Ache cartridges don't fit. Rather than 'click' in, you can sort of wedge them up there to the point that you think they might just about be punctured, but they're not and there's no click.

Maybe I'm somehow fatigued and forgetting something, but for now it actually seems that the pen only accepts Montblanc cartridges... and maybe a converter with a narrow neck (if such a thing exists)... Would a Cross push-in converter fit the bill?

post-124880-0-52736400-1442831714_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maxim

It appears that there is very little neutrality regarding this pen! From the pictures, I like it at first glance. I can't tell you why though. I don't care that it's only cartridge fill. My first MB was a Starwlker that my late wife gave me for my 62nd birthday in 2007 so I started with cartridge. I have a Boehme Rouge that's cartridge only and a 144 Classique that is both. Only my 149 is piston fill. I looked ot the MB web site and the pen is there with some specs but the mostimportant to me(other than the price which is surprisingly low at $565USD) is there is no mention of nib sizes. Anyone know for sure if there will be a full range od sizes? I'm partial to F & EF.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

It's only F and M at the moment, I believe.

Also - and yet to get anyone else to confirm, buts it's not only cartridge only, but also MB cartidges only.

No other reason to discourage you though - it is very nice.

Maxim, congrats on your Montblanc M. I am sorely tempted especially since I could not see it in New York City. How is the heft? Heavy or light? And is it meant to be gripped higher up because of the ribbing near the nib? Congrats again!

I don't care that it's MB cartridge only. I already have two of those. What does matter is that it only comes in F&M nib so far. I would have to actually write with it on my stationery before I would consider it for purchase although I can get the nib Dr. at Dromgoole's to reduce it to an EF for me.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

jporos - thanks. The pen doesn't feel insubstantial and objectively is thicker than the Caran d'Ache RNX and ecridors I own, but I think is probably a standard size/heft for a MB. I can weigh it when I can get near some scales.

I find myself adopting a proper 'triangle grip' when writing with it, since ones fingers really need to be on the ribbed metal to hold it properly and otherwise it might be a bit uncomfortable.

I would be very surprised if there isn't a way of fitting a converter, but no-one's come to the party yet. Any ideas out there of what converter might fit? The key thing seems to be for the tip of a converter to be slightly thinner for the first centimetre or so (like MB cartridges), but I can't see any online images of converters like this.

I took a few more measurements.

MB cartridges seem to fit in it because for about the first 1.2cm (half inch), they tend to be thinner before the 'step' thickens them.

A Caran d'Ache cartridge or converter, for instance, will have 2mm of the connecting bit of the cartridge, then 6mm that is 6.5mm thick and then the remaining 3cm of cartridge is 6.8mm thick.

For MB and it is 2mm connector, then 1cm that is 6.5mm thick and then the remaining 2.5cm of cartridge is thicker.

So, the problem is just that a standard converter is .3mm too thick for about half a centimetre to fit. It's otherwise the perfect length.

I'm not sure if I should try getting a spare converter and sanding it down until it might fit or if there are any suggestions of different converters that might fit.

I took a few more measurements.

MB cartridges seem to fit in it because for about the first 1.2cm (half inch), they tend to be thinner before the 'step' thickens them.

A Caran d'Ache cartridge or converter, for instance, will have 2mm of the connecting bit of the cartridge, then 6mm that is 6.5mm thick and then the remaining 3cm of cartridge is 6.8mm thick.

For MB and it is 2mm connector, then 1cm that is 6.5mm thick and then the remaining 2.5cm of cartridge is thicker.

So, the problem is just that a standard converter is .3mm too thick for about half a centimetre to fit. It's otherwise the perfect length.

I'm not sure if I should try getting a spare converter and sanding it down until it might fit or if there are any suggestions of different converters that might fit.

As noted earlier, a Waterman converter is slimmer (and shorter) than a Caran d'Ache. Unfortunately I can't measure the diameter accurately. I once tried to swap a Caran d'Ache converter into a Waterman pen but the barrel wouldn't fit over it. The connector did fit reasonably securely, though. Information about the Waterman connector is contradictory: Goulet says it's proprietary, The Writing Desk says it's compatible with standard international.

Pulled the (inked) converter from Mrs Catbert's pen at great personal risk for abysmal comparison photo:

post-117295-0-86585800-1443167782_thumb.jpg

Caran d'Ache and Waterman converters

Might be worth a try?

Edited by catbert

Ah. Thanks, catbert. I did notice you mention the Waterman, but the first images I found of it made it look exactly the same as the Caran d'Ache. That Waterman does look consistently slimmer though and a tiny bit shorter too (as a bonus).

Ah. Thanks, catbert. I did notice you mention the Waterman, but the first images I found of it made it look exactly the same as the Caran d'Ache. That Waterman does look consistently slimmer though and a tiny bit shorter too (as a bonus).

No problem, Maxim. Wasn’t sure if you’d read my post.
The Waterman converter in the photo is the original 1980s version that came with the pen. I have a modern replacement on order. Will let you know if the dimensions appear to differ. The vendor assured me it will still fit.

I ordered the Art Fineliner last weekend but I was told it won't be in for two to three weeks...apparently Montblanc is making some changes to the ordering system the boutiques use and new orders can't be processed until the software upgrade is complete.

No idea when refills will be available, I don't see them listed on any of the sites.

BTW, fellow at the boutique said he "thought" it'll also accept something called a capless rollerball refill. Anyone have an idea what that is?

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I ordered the Art Fineliner last weekend but I was told it won't be in for two to three weeks...apparently Montblanc is making some changes to the ordering system the boutiques use and new orders can't be processed until the software upgrade is complete.

No idea when refills will be available, I don't see them listed on any of the sites.

BTW, fellow at the boutique said he "thought" it'll also accept something called a capless rollerball refill. Anyone have an idea what that is?

Yes, I just saw a video of the handling of the pen in which they unscrew the components and show the refill. I was really shocked to see the refill, labled "Refill Rollerball Capless System." I had just assumed this new pen line would use the same ink refills as the current production models. That is one of the problems with a company like Montblanc that is in business for so long- they need to make sure that an ink refill can be purchased today for a pen that was made 40 years ago. They have been able to do this fairly well so far. I don't understand the "Capless System" verbiage since there is a cap involved... unless there is a difference because the cap does not screw down, not creating an air-tight seal. So I would then presume that the ink is also different but I would think the ballpoint would use the current ink that's already designed for open-air exposure.

Maybe they are also in the midst of other pen designs that will use the same "Capless System" cartridge... like maybe a push-top rollerball or fineliner, similar to the Scenium mechanism that I really miss :(

Last note back on the topic, current rollerball models can also use fineliner refills and vice versa as they are the same refill style but just use a different tip and ink. I would like to say the same would be for the M pens but I can't say this with certainty since we have already seen that they use different refills.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

Capless refills were developed for the 1912 RB.

Oh, neat! Thank you for this information. I have heard of that pen mentioned once on this forum but still have yet to ever see it anywhere on the web. I suppose I'm off to Google to fulfill my curiousness now!

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

The German Montblanc site lists the rollerball capless refill but no picture...just a box.

http://www.montblanc.com/de-de/collection/refills/writing-accessories/113778-1-rollerball-capless-system-refill-m-pacific-blue.html

The refills apparently work in the "M" Art Fineliner pens as well as the "M" Rollerball pens.

No Art Fineliner refills even on the German site.

Just got a voice mail today that my Art Fineliner has arrived at the boutique. I'll pick it up next weekend.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Saw this pen in the flesh this weekend. Add me among the unimpressed. The pen is larger/thicker than pictures indicate. Length and weight are to my liking but that's about it. The notch at the end of the pen is completely superfluous playing no functional role. I feel the design would be better if they rounded the pen all the way to the end of the barrel an placed the snow cap at the end. The grip section is too much like the Starwalker and the magnetic cap really didn't impress me - yes, it has the trick alignment action but it needs to be placed on consciously or it won't fully engage.

The store manager at Paradise Pen in Burlington MA said they're flying off the shelves but he guided me hard toward the LeGrande Blue. Too each their own but I passed on this one.

Best,

John

Received a new Waterman converter today. Confirmation that this does NOT fit in the Montblanc M :/

Sorry to hear that, Maxim. Was it the length, diameter, connector, or something else?