Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

I went into Harrods today to have a good look at the pen 'in the flesh'

It's a slick, smooth design. Beautifully put together and the smooth inlaid stars really look the part.

It doesn't post, and the salesgirl nearly had a fit when I tried, very gently!! The ridged section also felt as though it could become uncomfortable after some use.

I didn't buy as it seemed very light to me. I have quite large hands, and a heavier pen feels more comfortable - this was like a feather. However, the deal breaker for me was that it's cartridge only. No converter due to the shape. Apparently, cartridges are the more 'modern' way of filling a pen & bottled ink is declining in usage!!

So - overall a nice looking & well designed pen, but not for me.

Still - did walk out with a Montegrappa Skull!!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went into Harrods today to have a good look at the pen 'in the flesh'

It's a slick, smooth design. Beautifully put together and the smooth inlaid stars really look the part.

It doesn't post, and the salesgirl nearly had a fit when I tried, very gently!! The ridged section also felt as though it could become uncomfortable after some use.

I didn't buy as it seemed very light to me. I have quite large hands, and a heavier pen feels more comfortable - this was like a feather. However, the deal breaker for me was that it's cartridge only. No converter due to the shape. Apparently, cartridges are the more 'modern' way of filling a pen & bottled ink is declining in usage!!

So - overall a nice looking & well designed pen, but not for me.

Still - did walk out with a Montegrappa Skull!!

Thanks for sharing. Did you get a chance to write with it?

It's here! Hope to try it in person when I go to New York in two weeks... http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/discover/specials/montblanc-m.html

The video on that page shows an AU750 (18k gold) nib while the online shop's product page says AU585 (14k gold). Bit of an oversight.

Also on the product page is a link to 'Nib Exchange' which lists a full set of nibs (including obliques and double broad). Would love to know if this is correct.

I think that has to be the most ridiculous video I have ever seen for any pen. All it's missing is a huge chorus of high 'c' 'ahhh's' when the cap 'remarkably' clicks its 'imaginative' self into place.

I was initially fairly excited about this but I must say that no converter is a deal breaker for me. I will keep my eyes open for the possibility that it works anyway, since the Starwalker is advertised as "no converter" but certain standard international converters work just fine.

I saw this pen today. Design is rather nice and the magnetic closure is an interesting feature. On the whole it feels a bit cheap for the price and the section is heavy, and with its texture, would be slightly uncomfortable in use. The weight of the section creates imbalance. So i did not buy despite initial intentions.

And I saw the Moon Pearl which is one of the most spectacular pens I have seen and held. I will be saving for one of these :)

I saw this pen today. Design is rather nice and the magnetic closure is an interesting feature. On the whole it feels a bit cheap for the price and the section is heavy, and with its texture, would be slightly uncomfortable in use. The weight of the section creates imbalance. So i did not buy despite initial intentions.

And I saw the Moon Pearl which is one of the most spectacular pens I have seen and held. I will be saving for one of these :)

I agree, seen the pen at la Couronne du Comte, rather looks cheapish and much too small. I took the Heritage 1912 roller in metal, also little but a real beauty. As for the Moon Pearl, indeed an exceptional pen.

I agree, seen the pen at la Couronne du Comte, rather looks cheapish and much too small. I took the Heritage 1912 roller in metal, also little but a real beauty. As for the Moon Pearl, indeed an exceptional pen.

And if I am not mistaken Opooh you are very well positioned to comment on the quality of the Moon Pearl ;)

It's a shame really as it feels like a but of a waste in terms of a guest designer. I can only guess that they were aiming for a part of the market where cartridge only use would not be a concern, which leaves me wondering what that market corner is. Overall though MB has recently produced some very beautiful pens - I particularly like the Blue Hour fp; not that I can afford it (more's the pity) - so this one feels especially disappointing.

I joined up just to reply to this thread as I figure I might be the target market for the Montblanc M and tend to disagree with assessments like the above.

Where am I in the market? Youngish, grew up with Apple design, followed its antecedents like Mies van der Rohe and Corbusier in architecture, Dietrich Lubs and Dieter Rams in design, subscribe to the idea that 'less is more'.

My traditional view of most fountain pens is the same I feel about Rolexes or expensive watches: sure, buy something well made, but some are needlessly expensive Veblen goods that tend to just be more garish and ostentatious for the more thousands you pay.

I've bought a few fountain pens, but only because they tend to be elegant in my opinion or in keeping with this aesthetic: well made, considered, streamlined, simple, purposeful. I like using my Dietrich x Düller fountain pen because it seems the closest that I'll ever get to a Dietrich Rams-style pen. It's also cartridge only.

I have the M on order, so haven't held it yet, but it does look good and fit into the minimalist aesthetic I'm after. The lack of a converter is slightly annoying but I don't think lowers the value and there's an argument it's in keeping with the general design: keep it simple and practical. Disappointment here about the need for cartridges seems to mimic the disappointment in iPhones that batteries aren't user-replaceable and that they aren't highly customisable: you can make the case, but this pen seems to be designed to 'just work' rather than appeal to those who want to get their favourite orange ink from a bottle and stick it in.

The only other disappointment I have, prior to actually owning the M is that apparently it doesn't post. Especially given the magnetic closure and the general design idea, I'm quite surprised here. This isn't a deal breaker for me though.

Maybe that's all a bit too personal and I'm the only one that feels this way; I do feel that the type of future Montblanc owners that might become addicted starting with the M are unlikely to be the average poster here on FPN though.

I would rather take $600, rake it into a pile and set it on fire. Then roll around in it until I'm on fire. Then run through the streets until the city is fire.

[quote name="Ghost Plane" post="3377445" timestamp="

Here's a novel concept - ask WRITERS to design their pens!

I think some writers already do design pens. See Edison and Nakaya.

Is there a way to refill the MB ink cartridges that go in this pen like some of the other cartridges? Or are the MB ones totally different? My only complaint about the cartridges are the plastic waste. The Levenger ones that I have can be refilled with a syringe. I've never bought any of the MB ones to look at. Thanks in advance.

-John-

Visconti: Millionaire LE, HS Lava Steel, Opera Club Honey Almond, Michelangelo Black/Rose

Aurora Optima 365 LE, Mar Adriatico LE

Omas Galileo '93, '15 Year of Light, F.A.O., Paragon Burlwood LE

Delta MOMO Design Rose LE

Mont Blanc Johannes Brahms, Georges Solti, 146 LeGrand Platinum, Model #32 (cracked), WE Leo Tolstoy, 146 Burgundy, Model 22, 149 Platinum, Marc Newson, WE Charles Dickens, Rouge et Noir Coral

Hooligan LE #6

TWSBI Diamond 580 X2 and Eco

Is there a way to refill the MB ink cartridges that go in this pen like some of the other cartridges? Or are the MB ones totally different? My only complaint about the cartridges are the plastic waste. The Levenger ones that I have can be refilled with a syringe. I've never bought any of the MB ones to look at. Thanks in advance.

-John-

They are just standard International cartridges. Levenger ones should do jess fine.

I believe it takes international standard cartridges, so nothing stopping using non-MB ink cartridges or refilling a cartridge with any ink you want.

Thanks for the quick replies.

-John-

Visconti: Millionaire LE, HS Lava Steel, Opera Club Honey Almond, Michelangelo Black/Rose

Aurora Optima 365 LE, Mar Adriatico LE

Omas Galileo '93, '15 Year of Light, F.A.O., Paragon Burlwood LE

Delta MOMO Design Rose LE

Mont Blanc Johannes Brahms, Georges Solti, 146 LeGrand Platinum, Model #32 (cracked), WE Leo Tolstoy, 146 Burgundy, Model 22, 149 Platinum, Marc Newson, WE Charles Dickens, Rouge et Noir Coral

Hooligan LE #6

TWSBI Diamond 580 X2 and Eco

Looking at it again now, it's growing on me. A lot. Since I don't have that kind of money I hope the non-posting cap will put me off, as not posting the cap before writing just seems odd to me. I would be distracted by worry that it would roll off the table or something!

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

I joined up just to reply to this thread as I figure I might be the target market for the Montblanc M and tend to disagree with assessments like the above.

Where am I in the market? Youngish, grew up with Apple design, followed its antecedents like Mies van der Rohe and Corbusier in architecture, Dietrich Lubs and Dieter Rams in design, subscribe to the idea that 'less is more'.

My traditional view of most fountain pens is the same I feel about Rolexes or expensive watches: sure, buy something well made, but some are needlessly expensive Veblen goods that tend to just be more garish and ostentatious for the more thousands you pay.

I've bought a few fountain pens, but only because they tend to be elegant in my opinion or in keeping with this aesthetic: well made, considered, streamlined, simple, purposeful. I like using my Dietrich x Düller fountain pen because it seems the closest that I'll ever get to a Dietrich Rams-style pen. It's also cartridge only.

I have the M on order, so haven't held it yet, but it does look good and fit into the minimalist aesthetic I'm after. The lack of a converter is slightly annoying but I don't think lowers the value and there's an argument it's in keeping with the general design: keep it simple and practical. Disappointment here about the need for cartridges seems to mimic the disappointment in iPhones that batteries aren't user-replaceable and that they aren't highly customisable: you can make the case, but this pen seems to be designed to 'just work' rather than appeal to those who want to get their favourite orange ink from a bottle and stick it in.

The only other disappointment I have, prior to actually owning the M is that apparently it doesn't post. Especially given the magnetic closure and the general design idea, I'm quite surprised here. This isn't a deal breaker for me though.

Maybe that's all a bit too personal and I'm the only one that feels this way; I do feel that the type of future Montblanc owners that might become addicted starting with the M are unlikely to be the average poster here on FPN though.

That kind of makes a bit of sense to me regarding this product. Thanks for taking the time to explain.